- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Gibbs tries, but Ducky can keep a secret.
(Quote from Chapter 2 from Jackie's Doctor DiNozzo story)

Gibbs started to pace. "Try EVERY Monday morning, after every free weekend. You…you come in like you haven't gotten over your partying." Gibbs paused. "I used to not say anything. But…but Tony you…at first it wasn't every weekend. I wasn't too concerned. But now…it is every weekend we aren't on call. I…you're not a college kid anymore."

Tony smiled and started to chuckle a little. OhGibbs,ifyouonlyknew. Tony thought, but he just continued to smile.

Gibbs, now, was unsure what to think. He certainly hadn't expected this reaction from Tony. Then it dawned on him. Tony was REALLY hiding something, something big. He had to be, Tony thought he had one over on him. Gibbs didn't like it. He had to find out what Tony was doing with his weekends.
(End quote)

Ducky and Gibbs were sharing a rare evening dinner together. Ducky contentedly ate the steak Gibbs prepared Cowboy style and served with a side salad (brought by Ducky himself of course). Gibbs on the other hand, looked, not quite miserable, but definitely not content.

"What's wrong Jethro," Ducky finally asked, putting down his knife and fork.

Gibbs gave a nearly imperceptible shrug, “it's DiNozzo. He's hiding something.”

Ducky was surprised. “Like what?”

With a little snort, Gibbs said, “if I knew that, he wouldn't be hiding what he does on his weekends off.”

“But what's the problem? His weekends off are his own.”

Gibbs swallowed his bourbon and nodded. “Sure, but not when he comes in late and exhausted on Monday mornings.”

Ducky bit back a smile knowing exactly what Tony was hiding. If fact, they'd talked about Tony's other job recently over a cup of tea in Ducky's office during a quiet afternoon for the team. Even though Ducky hadn't worked in an ER after he completed his internship and residency training, he found Tony's stories fascinating. It always surprised him to hear how similar the ER was to his military medical service years ago.

“Have you asked?” Ducky asked, picking up his own glass of bourbon. He'd have preferred brandy with dinner, but he knew it was unlikely that Jethro had any in the house.

Jethro nodded. “Sure and he won't tell me. Says it's his own time,” he shook his head, “I know it is, and he doesn't have to explain, but if he's not in top form, then it is my business.”

Ducky shrugged. “Tony not doing his job is your problem- if he actually is not doing his job- but his activities on his time off isn't your problem.” He spoke a little harsher than he'd meant to, but he also know how strongly Tony felt about keeping the Federal Agent and the Doctor sides of his professional life separate.

Jethro studied his old friend. “Aw hell, you know, don't you?”

Ducky looked away for a moment before meeting Jethro's surprised-but-angry glare. “I think I'll take a cue from your American legal system and, as you say, plead the fifth.”

Before Jethro could interrupt, Ducky continued. “Don't. Don't say it. It's been a lovely evening. Let's keep it that way, shall we?”

Gibbs said nothing for several long minutes before nodding. “Ok Duck, you're right. But,” he paused until he was sure he had Ducky's attention, “I told DiNozzo I was going to find out and you're not going to stop me.”

Ducky nodded and made a mental note to talk to Tony about Gibbs' interest. Ducky easily changed topics and the evening went on without Tony's name coming up again.

The next morning, Ducky called Tony down to autopsy. After sending Jimmy out on an errand, and making sure the autopsy doors were closed against unwanted eavesdroppers, Ducky quickly (for Ducky) filled Tony in on the conversation he'd had with Gibbs the night before. Even though Jimmy knew about Tony's medical moonlighting, Ducky had decided Jimmy didn't need to know that Gibbs was looking for information. Jimmy's nervous babbling around Gibbs might inadvertently tell Gibbs all he needed to know.

Tony just laughed. “It's ok, Ducky, I mean, please don't tell Gibbs, he can find out on his own easily enough. I don't know if he'll run a check on my financials or just a deep-background check,” he shrugged thinking about it, “it's really not that hard to find out.”

“Yes, that's true, but Gibbs isn't known for his technological skills.”

Tony smiled in agreement and headed back upstairs.