- Text Size +
~~~~T~~~~

At Abby’s insistence the team exchanges gifts at “Gibbs’ house” on the twenty-ninth but if Ziva, Ducky, or Palmer notices the vast array of my stuff scattered about (cleaned up for the occasion but not hidden at all) no one mentions it. Aside from a few comments on the new TV, anyway. And considering the fact that there wasn’t a TV in the den until I brought it over that isn’t surprising.

The gifts are the usual fodder. In jokes, teasing, and items of genuine interest are exchanged without patterns or any care for reciprocity. No one mentions that Jethro and I don’t exchange gifts. The eggnog is spiked and the team isn’t supposed to be on call until the second so we all end up spread across various bits of furniture listening to Ducky explain how gift giving became part of the traditions of Christmas. Abby has cuddled up to Jethro and I’m on the floor beneath them with my head on Jethro’s knee. I’d prefer to be on the sofa but we’d promised SecNav that we wouldn’t out ourselves until the first.

Around twenty-three hundred Ziva attempts to excuse herself to the restroom and trips over her own feet. Spiked eggnog, it seems, is her kryptonite. Abby helps her stay on her feet and McGee offers to drive her home. Palmer asks for a ride as well, and given Ziva’s far less than steady state it’s probably best that McGee brings reinforcement.

When they’ve been safely sent on their way Jethro collects empty glasses and Abby pulls me down onto the sofa with her. She declares, seemly out of the blue, “I think the new guys in 3B are pissed that I beat them to booking the complex’s rec room for New Year’s.”

“Is 3B the surfer dudes or the project runway fan boys?” I honestly can’t place the reference.

She head slaps me. “The project runway fan boys are from the mailroom and the surfer dudes are cool with any source of free beer. 3B is the sommelier and sous chef that are bitter about their mentor’s decision to move to DC.”

Now I think I get it, “So they’re offended by the notion of beer and good times.”

“I was thinking you might charm them for me.” She smirks at me, knowing full well I wouldn’t have done it even when I was single.

“Not allowed to charm other people anymore Abbs. Sorry.”

“So the rumors are true, then. Someone has tamed you Anthony?” Ducky asks curiously.

“I wouldn’t use that language but yes, I am with someone and yes, it is serious.”

Jethro re-enters the room with an assessing glance, “You’re welcome to stay Duck, but Abbs has the guest room so you’d have to take the sofa.”

“I think I’ll take you up on that Jethro. It seems Ziva was not the only one to over indulge this evening.”

It seems to work out fine. Until Ducky audibly startles when it’s me he finds cooking breakfast come morning. “I thought you’d gone home, dear boy.”

I have to bite back the ‘I am home’ that immediately comes to mind, “No, Gibbs let me crash in with him. We were all pretty drunk. I don’t think we should have let McGee drive either. Not that there’s really room for three more here.”

“Timothy was drinking significantly slower than the rest of us actually.”

“If you say so Ducky.”

After a family style breakfast of my hang-over pancakes, don’t ask what’s in them, bacon and Gibbs’ idea of coffee Ducky and Abby both head home.

“That could have gone worse.”

“Just a few more days.”