- Text Size +
~~~~T~~~~

We’re the first to arrive at Abby’s party which she may have done by design. She’s been enjoying Ziva’s less than skillful attempts to discover the identity of my significant other and seeing us arrive together would be entirely too large a tell. But all the same we’re glad to help her set up.

Plus the look of genuine surprise on Jethro’s face when she settles a fedora on him and kisses his cheek is simply priceless. I’m sure he’ll figure out shortly that it was a planned move. I picked the hat out along with the dress shirt and slacks he has on but figured if Abby demanded he wear it he’d be more likely to leave it on. Given my duplicity I accept it when she settles a top hat on my head in turn. Though I do complain that it messes up my hair.

Ziva doesn’t arrive until a little over half the other guests are in attendance and I can practically feel her sizing up the young lady I’m speaking to. She is, of course, a friend of Abby’s and she looks it with tattoos winding around her forearms. What I’m sure Ziva can’t hear from the other side of the room is that we’re discussing her work, the study of early American naval vessels. She seems charmed by my touch of wood working knowledge but she’s clocked my wedding ring twice so I’m not worried that she has the wrong idea.

As we’re finishing our discussion she glances around the room, “Is your wife into wood working too?”

I nod toward Jethro who is speaking to Jimmy in the corner of the room, “My husband builds boats and toys in our basement.”

She smiles, “I had a feeling you were that Tony. Abby speaks very highly of you both.”

“We love Abbs, too.” I can still feel Ziva’s eyes on me. “It’s been wonderful talking to you and I would love to continue our discussion with Jethro in a little while but a friend of mine is trying to catch my attention.”

“And you need to chase that young thing away from your man,” She offers slyly.

I chuckle, “Jimmy wouldn’t dare.”

“And if I was to head over and ask about his boat?”

“He’d enjoy that.” I give her wrist a friendly pat before I move off. I grab a couple of beers and offer one to Ziva. “Have a little trouble finding the rec room?” I know after all that she’s been to Abby’s place before.

“I believe Abby deliberately misinformed me about the time of the party.”

“It’s still three hours to midnight, plenty of time to enjoy your self.”

“I suppose. Your girlfriend looks like she and Abby spend time together.”

“Charlotte is one of Abby’s friends. We were discussing her work at Georgetown.”

“Flirting with someone new?”

“Believe what you like,” I shrug and head over to greet Ducky who has just arrived.

~~~~Z~~~~

It is almost midnight and I still have not figured out who Tony is with. I do not doubt for a moment his sincerity that she is here. He has had brief discussions with a number of women but none show the familiarity of a significant other. In fact the only ones who have shown a real connection to him are the members of the team. For the last twenty minutes he has been sitting next to Gibbs speaking with Abby’s friend Charlotte about early American wood working tools. It is not a topic I was aware Tony had any familiarity with.

~~~~M~~~~

I happen to be standing next to Tony as the count down starts and the silly smile on his face combined with the fact that he tips Gibbs’ hat in one direction and his head the other telegraphs his intention before the count reaches five. I glance around and take note that while Abby and Ziva are watching them avidly no one else seems to notice.

The count down ends and I am kissed by a cute little red head who hasn’t spoken a word to me all night, but it is no less pleasant due to the surprise. When we part she offers a shy smile and her name before glancing over my shoulder. I introduce myself before turning as well.

Gibbs has one hand splayed in Tony’s hair and the other somewhere I’d prefer not to think about. Tony’s hands are no more innocent and they’re still kissing like the world is ending. A quick glance confirms Yvette and I are not the only ones to notice. There is some hooting from some of the drunker among us and someone flounces (no other word for it) “You never kiss me like that in public!”

By the time they part pretty much the whole room is watching them and they seem to have no clue. Tony rights the hat and smiles as he says “happy new year” in a distracted tone.

Gibbs chuckles and repeats the sentiment before slowly releasing his hold on Tony. “How about a dance before we say our goodbyes?” It’s a softly voiced question and I’m sure I only heard it because I’m standing right beside them.

“Depends on Abbs, doesn’t it Jethro? Neither of us are exactly the mosh pit type.”

“It’ll be a slow one. She demanded that she should get to see us dance together before the night was over and I gave her my terms.”

“We have to then, don’t we?”

~~~~T~~~~

I might strangle her. A slow song we can sway to I fully expected. This however I might not forgive her for. An eighties power ballad, really? Not that I’d object to Firehouse if she didn’t have Jethro and I dancing to it in front of half the people we know and a bunch of strangers. I suppose the sentiment is appreciated, Jethro is certainly the love of my lifetime. And I hope that I’m his. Okay, so maybe it’s not so bad.

~~~~Z~~~~

I know I must be staring but I do not think I could stop myself. If it were anyone other than Gibbs I would say it must be a prank. Beyond the fact that it is Gibbs they truly seem to only have eyes for one another. Tony looks like a love sick guppy and Gibbs just looks… soft. Like perhaps Tony is the most precious thing in his whole world. Seeing it now it is perfectly clear, but there was no chance I would have seen it from the way they normally act. Though no one else, save perhaps Ducky, seems surprised.

~~~~A~~~~

“I’d demand you each dance with me before you go but I know you’re in a hurry to reenact your wedding night, so go.”

Tony kisses my cheek, “Thanks for understanding Abbs.”

Gibbs kisses the other cheek, “Happy New Year.”

And with that they’re gone. A little more hooting follows their hasty exit but several people are more than a touch intoxicated so it’s not surprising. Neither is the fact that Ducky and Ziva are both headed right for me.

I smile like I have no clue they’re surprised.

Ducky arrives at my side first and doesn’t bother trying to be subtle, “You knew.”

“You didn’t?”

He gives me an eloquent glare, “You know I didn’t young lady.”

“He made you hangover pancakes wearing his wedding ring Ducky.”

“Wedding ring?” Ziva exclaims in shock.

“They’ve been married for six months.”

Ducky looks hurt, “Six months?”

“SecNav didn’t want them to tell anyone before he was ready to go around Vance about keeping them together. Tim and I found out by accident and were sworn to secrecy.” Tim has just joined us and I communicate with a look that he had better back me up.

“From what was said to me it had to be a complete secret until Tony’s promotion officially went through which was, technically, midnight,” Tim volunteers earnestly.

“Tony is being promoted?” Ziva asks looking even more confused.

“I don’t know any details,” Tim cautions immediately.

“I think it’s so that he isn’t reporting to Gibbs anymore,” I volunteer. “They want us all to come to dinner tonight.”

Ducky still looks hurt but nods his agreement.