- Text Size +
~~~~M~~~~

I take the precautions of picking Abby up and arriving early so that we can mention that I was supposedly sworn to secrecy and that Ducky was hurt by being left out. No way am I getting killed by an oblivious assassin or an irritated ME because Tony got married.

Tony answers the door in a pair of low slung jeans and a smile. “No matter how early you are Abbs you aren’t going to catch us going at it. We wouldn’t answer the door.”

“But it’s so very hot to imagine it. And it was Timmy that wanted to be early.”

“We aren’t putting on any shows for you either McVoyeur.”

“I’ve seen more than I want to already thanks,” I keep my tone dry and bored. “But Abby lied a little for you two last night and given how hurt Ducky was I thought maybe we should all get our story straight.”

“I’ll speak to Ducky privately when he arrives,” Gibbs calls from where he’s leaning against the kitchen doorway. The look he’s giving Tony requires no imagination to translate.

Tony clearly sees it as he goes to Gibbs’ side and stage whispers, “You’re scaring Probie, Jethro.”

“We’re newlyweds, they’re lucky we ever keep our hands off each other at all.”

“Like I’d mind!” Abby bounces in place.

Before any of them can go into detail I explain what Abby said last night.

Tony nods and instructs us to set the table.

~~~~T~~~~

When we decided to get married we discussed telling the team. In the end we decided we’d speak to SecNav first.

He looked me in the eye and made me swear that this wasn’t some stunt. I really have to wonder what the hell he’s read about me.

Then he insisted we keep it under wraps until the first of the year. At that point we talked about waiting, not actually getting married until we could have them there.

In the end we both agreed it just wasn’t our style. This dinner is more our thing.

I knew they’d be upset about being left out of the loop, it hadn’t occurred to me that any of them might actually be hurt by it.

I can’t help but feel like I should be in there taking the blame with Ducky.

~~~~A~~~~

Poor Tony. He looks like he was kicked in the gut. So I wrap myself around him, “Ducky’ll be okay Tony. You shocked him and Ziva last night. Speaking of, did you boys have fun?”

“Of course we did, it was one of your parties.”

“I meant the sexcapades after,” I deliberately leer at him and am rewarded with Tim whimpering at us.

“I am a very happily married man and more than that I’m not going to say.”

“Thank you!” Tim approves loudly.

“None of you are any fun,” I pout at them.

“That is a vicious lie,” Gibbs kisses my cheek, “And you know it.”

He kisses Tony gently in turn and whispers, “It’s fine.”

Ducky comes into the room before Tony can respond. “What have you cooked Anthony? It smells delicious.” It’s clear he really means it and if he’s still hurt at all I can’t tell.

~~~~Z~~~~

Watching them together in their home their marriage seems less surprising than it did last night.

They work seamlessly together and without noticeable communication as they serve dinner. Right down to Gibbs handing Tony a fresh cork screw when he goes to open the kosher wine just as Tony sets the bottle on the table. It is a gesture I appreciate even though they both brush it aside as nothing.

Once the food is all on the table and everyone has a glass of wine Gibbs forces Tony gently into a chair and sits beside him with their hands entwined on the table top.

We all observe Tony taking a deep breath before Gibbs begins to speak, “While we are sorry we didn’t tell you before we got married, it was really the only viable option.”

“And since we know the question will come up, we’ve been together a little over three years now,” Tony adds before taking a hasty gulp of his wine.

“Which was private. And given that it could have broken our team up I won’t apologize for keeping the secret.”

“Then last May I got that concussion and it seems that my nurse was a former Seal. A very rule minded Seal. I woke up alone and confused.”

“The next day we started talking about medical proxies and power of attorneys. And then Tony just flippantly says ‘we could always just get married.’”

“Being that we’re us, we didn’t actually talk about it at first. For three days neither of us said another word about it.”

“Then he almost stormed out when I proposed.”

“It sounded like you were saying we should do it to solve the hospital problem,” Tony snaps petulantly, and that is a Tony I recognize.

“Like the ways that wouldn’t change our whole lives would have been difficult if that was all I wanted.”

“You’re lucky I love you, you know.”

“When we had it sorted out between us we decided to hold off telling you until we’d spoken to SecNav and found out if there was any way to save the team.”

“And that meeting was a kind of uncomfortable I’d rather never live through again.” Tony turns his hand over under Gibbs’ and laces their fingers together. “But in the end he made three things very clear: He values our team the way it is, he was doing us a huge favor, and Vance could not under any circumstances find out until their meeting about it over lunch today.” He shrugs, “Rule 4.”

We all sit quietly for a time, each taking it in, I suppose. Then Ducky lifts his glass, “Belated though it may be I think congratulations are in order.”

There’s a murmur of congratulations and Abby starts asking questions.

~~~~A~~~~

Now that they’ve said their piece I take it as an opening to start pressing for answers I’d left alone before.

“So what exactly is happening with the team?”

“In the way we actually run the team? Nothing. Technically Tony and I are going to share the responsibilities of team leader.”

Tony grins at Tim and Ziva, “Instead of just writing the personnel reviews I’ll be signing them too.” The grin fades almost immediately, “Vance is going to have it out for me for awhile because we went over his head.”

“He’ll get over it.” The statement is pure Gibbs, confident, self assured and seemingly baseless. Tony doesn’t seem to care.

“Can’t argue with results.”

They’re both smiling as Tony begins serving the meal he’s prepared, describing the painstaking (and clearly exaggerated) effort involved in its preparation. Ducky and Tim are smiling, Ziva looks just a touch lost. All is right in my world.