- Text Size +
Story Notes:
I'm posting this in parts because I'm afraid to post the whole story and have it cut off in some people's servers.
Author's Chapter Notes:
Sequel to "Settling the Dust". It is dark. There is mention of rape but no description, yet the subject may be disturbing. Neither Tony nor Gibbs are victims... though Tony is very much involved.

I don't want to give away surprises. Trust when I say there is no description, only discussion... and aftermath...

Sweeping the Dirt
by Asa Meda


He kissed me. He made me cum...

Tony watched the occasional cars pass as they sped along the interstate. The lights of the city were gradually receding into the quieter, softer lights of suburbia. Apartments became houses and townhomes. Finally there were only houses separated by a small bit of land. Even in the dark Tony recognized where he was. Once or twice he had been here, delivering papers to his supervisor. The second time he was introduced to the wooden skeleton of a boat Gibbs was building... had been building, rumor had it for many years. It was, until tonight, the closest that Gibbs got to being personal with him. Though he had to admit that tonight definitely was the most personal anyone had really gotten to him.


Devil's child! You're just like him! Just like him!


Gibbs pulled into a long drive, finally stopping in front of a two-car garage, doors shut. Their journey from NCIS headquarters to Gibbs' home had taken about thirty minutes. His supervisor had taken his time, obeyed all the rules, was silent as Tony was silent. Now they were here. The engine was shut off, the headlight extinguished leaving only a couple of spot lights on the house glowing on them. DiNozzo glanced at his boss then away as he saw the penetrating eyes on him. Butterflies with razor sharp wings tore at his stomach.

"Tony, nothing has to happen." Gibbs' hand gripped Tony's loosely. "You've never done anything with a man, have you?"

Tony wanted to escape. This was not starting out well. Gibbs could find someone much better than him. Someone who didn't have to be taught. Someone untainted...

"Tony?"

He drew a deep breath, forcing himself to hold it together. It was all going downhill fast. "Gibbs... no... I've never even kissed a guy." A smiled creased his lips. "Unless you count Voss--"

"I don't." Gibbs' hand moved to caress Tony's cheek, forcing his head around so they could look at each other. Kindness and patience. Two expressions Tony had never really seen on his supervisor's face. No, that wasn't true. He had seen it, here and there. Glimpses. Towards the wounded innocent. Towards close friends like Ducky and Abby. Even towards him when he thought Gibbs didn't think he was watching. But now Tony was watching and Gibbs was staring, his lips firm yet soft... waiting.

"I can take you home if that's what you--"

"No!" Tony didn't realize he had Gibbs' hand in a death grip until the older man grunted quietly. "Um... sorry..." He looked away again and eased his hold, meaning to pull away. But Gibbs' own grip made clear he wouldn't allow it. "Jeez, this is stupid! Why the hell--" He was being a baby... an idiot... he wasn't what Gibbs needed. "I don't think I'm going to be very good at this," he admitted aloud.

Gibbs fingers were under his chin, turning his head again. His blue eyes were bright with emotion. "You're a damn good kisser, DiNozzo," his lover assured. "And I wouldn't give a damn if you were a virgin." An incredible expression wandered over his face. "Are you?"

"No!" Tony wondered how far he'd have to walk to get to a gas station... call a cab. "No, I--" It was too late. Gibbs saw. Oh shit--

"DiNozzo."

"I've done it!" Once. Tony reached his limits. He opened the passenger door and slipped out, physically separating himself from the source of his anguish. Gibbs also got out but merely stood and watched him, concern and curiosity on his Marine hardened face. "I've kissed plenty of times!" Tony threw out, knowing how childish... how scared he sounded. He wanted to rewind the last hour and a half. He should have just realized he was being set up when Cait called. He knew he had signed off--

"Tony, come inside." Gibbs closed his door and slowly walked around the car. There was a cool breeze wafting through the air, disturbing the longer strands of hair on Gibbs' head. DiNozzo shivered. Too much was being revealed. He shouldn't have done that... with Gibbs... in the office. Stupid! Stupid! He's going to know... going to find out...

Again Gibbs' hand was on his face, forcing Tony to look at his supervisor. Friend? Lover? DiNozzo shook from the inside out. He wanted to kiss Gibbs. He liked kissing. He could make out with the best of them, bring a girl off without having to--

"Please come inside, Tony."

Inside. Gibbs' house. Fingertips brushed over his cheek... coaxing... enticing. Tony sighed. What was he fighting? He agreed to come here. Gibbs said nothing had to happen. And at this point, after working a long case and being woken out of a sound sleep in the middle of the night, he was just too tired to give a damn. "Okay," he agreed.



Gibbs said nothing but simply put an arm around Tony and guided him into the house. He had been here a couple of times delivering papers. To his eyes nothing had changed. Furniture was the same. The decor the same. Nothing out of place. Everything sparse and efficient with hints of Gibbs' personality, his more casual side, displayed here and there for anyone who cared to look.

"Do you want something to drink? Beer?"

Beer. Tony glanced at Gibbs. He was trying to calm down, trying to be comfortable. But he was failing miserably. "Beer's fine," he murmured.

Gibbs gave him a smile. "Sit. We're going to talk. Okay?"

Talk. The room's temperature suddenly dropped. Without thought Tony wrapped his arms around his chest. "Um... I don't know if I can do the talk thing, boss."

Gibbs gaze was penetrating, calculating, far too insightful. "But you can do the beer thing?" he offered.

Tony relaxed a little. "Yeah. Beer's good. Thanks."

Gibbs nodded. "Sit, DiNozzo."

Sit. Tony sighed then tentatively sat down on the comfortable, well-kept couch. His body sang satisfaction even as his mind churned in chaotic circles. His crotch felt moist from his cum. He desperately wanted a shower... then go home... sleep... avoid Gibbs for the rest of his life so he wouldn't be tempted--

"Beer." Gibbs was back, two bottles in hand. He handed a cold one to Tony then pulled the coffee table back slightly and sat down to face Tony. For several minutes they existed in each other's presence, drinking beer. Tony felt a little better in the silence. Gibbs was making no demands, asked no questions. As he finished his beer his supervisor got up, still watching him, concern etched into his features. "I think you might appreciate a shower, Tony. I have some sweats you can wear, might be slightly small..."

"I think it might be a good idea if you just took me home." He had to do some heaving thinking... make decisions.

"Tony." Gibbs cautiously drew closer as if approaching a small animal. "It's late... early. I could use some sleep and so could you... on the couch. I just want to make you as comfortable as you'll let me." His lips drew inward as he continued to regard Tony. "I'm not going to try to push but I think we should talk. I'm your friend and I want to help."

Friend. Yes... friend. Lover? Was that part over? Tony squirmed as he stared at his knees. "I'm sorry."

"I'm not, Tony. I loved touching you... making you cum. I just didn't realize I was going too fast--"

"You weren't! It's me!" Tony got up and started to pace. "Look... it was great! I--" Want more. He ran a hand through his hair. "Gibbs... I can't."

"That's okay." Gibbs moved in front of him, his blue eyes gentle. "Take a shower.... borrow my clothes. Sleep. Tomorrow, if you want, we'll talk or I'll take you home." He drew a deep breath. "Deal?"

Tony stopped pacing and eyed the older man. Gibbs looked to be at a loss but willing to do whatever he needed to do, whatever Tony wanted. DiNozzo trusted him... trusted his word. He relaxed as he realized there would be no demands made of him, for the moment. "Thanks."

The trilling sound sparked him into action. His cell was ringing. It was his job to answer. He sat up, peeling away the light blanket that had been thrown over him and looked around frantically as his cell trilled again. Gibbs was asleep upstairs. After all he had done he did not want to disturb him. It was on the coffee table. Before it could ring again he glanced at the ID and smiled a bit as he answered. "Hey, bro," he said softly. It was Bryan. His brother.

"Hey, kid," his brother responded, his voice deeper and stronger. "I'm sorry to wake you this early but I have some bad news."

Kid. Tony's stomach tightened. Bryan only used that nickname when he was being extra careful, extra gentle. But it wasn't just the word that alerted him but the tone that warned. "What's wrong?"

Bryan took a deep breath that ended in something close to a strained sound. "Mom passed away a few hours ago, Tony. She had a heart attack and they couldn't save her."

Couldn't save her? Passed away? Tony's heart sped up. Adrenaline. He glanced at his phone. It was four-forty in the morning. Tony's eyes fixed on the ship models Gibbs had in a glass case across the room. Some were delicately displayed in bottles. Others were carefully crafted reproductions. All took time... patience...

"Tony!"

"Uh... yeah..." Tony heard his own voice crack. His mother was dead. His mother...

"Tony, talk to me!"

Talk. Tony swallowed. "Mom's dead?"

There was an audible exhalation of air from his brother. "Yeah, bro. Mom's dead. Dad... I told him I'd call you." Pause. "Do you need me to come up there, kid? I can be there in less than two hours."

There. Home. His home. Tony looked around wildly. He wasn't home. He was--

Gibbs was suddenly standing in front of him, hands on hips, looking like he'd been woken from a sound sleep, a puzzled expression on his face. Oh fuck... this is too much! "Bryan... I-- I'm not home."

"Not home... oh." There was remote movement, a small voice. Briana? "Hey, honey. Daddy's talking to Uncle Tony. Go see if Mommy needs help in the kitchen. Yes, she's making breakfast while it's still dark out. Special. Okay." Bryan's voice returned. "You okay where you are?"

Gibbs had moved to sit next to him. He was dressed only in boxers. His hand lightly gripped the jersey material covering Tony's thigh, making no demands. "I'm okay," he said, feeling more stable. "I... um... What's happening... how's Dad?"

There was a long pause then; "He's all right, Tony. He said Mom's been having a few problems the doctors were treating. The heart attack was a surprise but he's doing all right. They already made funeral arrangements years ago so no surprises there."

Yeah. Neat and tidy. No loose ends. Except him... "When should I come up?" He tried to focus on what he could understand and control. Funeral. Family. Eyes watching him.

"I'll call you later, bro," Bryan told him gently. "Then come up here and stay with me and Tina. Briana wants to hear some more of your crazy stories and little Tony's got this new game... Tazer 2? He said you told him it was coming out."

Tazer 2? "He got Tazer 2! Just like that?" It couldn't be found in the stores... online... sold out... waiting lists. Tony even had Abby try her hand... "How the hell did he get Tazer 2!"

There was quiet laughter on the other side. "Connections, bro. Connections. Tina's cousin knows the guy whose friend writes the code." Pause. "Got you one too... was going to give it to you when you came up for your birthday. But you can have it now."

"Oh man!" Tony's excitement rose then suddenly faded as he remembered why he was talking to his brother. "Sorry."

"For what, kid? For what? It's okay. All right? I'm glad I could make you happy. Don't let it get lost in what's going on now. Okay?"

"Okay." Tony sighed. His mother was dead. "I'll have the cell on. Call when you know."

"Will do, kid. Bye."

"Bye."

There were several moments of silence. Gibbs' hand was still on his leg, warm and steady. Tony stared at his cell. He felt nothing... and everything. His mother's voice... her last words... rang true in his mind.


Next time you'll see me is at my funeral! You disgust me! Don't want to lay eyes on you ever again!


Something painful moved through his chest and burst from his mouth. His mother was dead.

"Tony..."

Strong arms surrounded him, pulling him against a firm chest, his face against warm skin covered in fine hairs. Another sound escaped him... a sob. How could he be sobbing? He hated his parents, particularly his mother. They hated him. But then they had a right. He was a terrible son.

"Go ahead and let it out, Tony. I'm here--"

Fingers threaded into his hair, gently massaging. Gibbs' calm, gentle voice gave permission. Tony groaned as a painful dam cracked from within and he did what he hadn't done in almost ten years. He screamed, physically exploding against the man who held him, long hidden anger and frustration emerging, taking over. He needed to destroy something... hit something... anything... anyone...

"Tony! Tony!" His wrists were taken in a stronger grip, his body pulled and pushed then held against a soft surface. A weight was carefully pressed into the small of his back. "Tony, focus!"

Command. Gibbs. Tony found his face gently sunk into the couch cushion. His hands were carefully held behind his back. DiNozzo trembled as he realized what he had just done. Not only was he a fucking tease, he was a violent fucking tease. Tears burned his eyes as ghosts of the past and crimes of the present merged within his head. "Oh christ I'm sorry!"

Gibbs' hold on him relaxed immediately. The weight on his back disappeared. "Sit up. Come on." When DiNozzo couldn't find the strength or the will to obey, Gibbs' hands returned, gliding over his bare back. "Come on, Tony. I need to sit down... and not on you."

Slowly Tony moved and swung his legs around. He kept his eyes closed or averted as he sat properly and felt the cushions move as Gibbs' sat next to him again... closer. "My mom just died," he threw out, wondering if he was making an excuse or attempting to distract his boss from what just happened.

"I heard. I'm sorry."

"I'm not." Tony clenched his hands together, wishing he had his gun nearby so he could just shoot his mouth off for letting comments like that slip out.

An arm went around his shoulders. The touch was too gentle, too caring. Tony started to push away. Gibbs' body quickly countered, turning to straddle Tony's lap, forcing their eyes to meet. Tony stared into blue eyes bright with intense emotion, though he couldn't tell if it was anger or--

"What's going on, Tony?"

What's going on. DiNozzo almost smiled but couldn't manage it. The Secret wafted through him, as tempting as a demon. All he would have to do it say it and it would be done. Gibbs would stop giving a damn just like everyone else. The impossible notion that they could be lovers would die before it could take root. "I'm sorry--"

Gibbs' hands closed around his face, thumbs caressing his cheeks. "You don't need to apologize, DiNozzo. You need to talk to me."

Tell him, his conscience warned. Tell him and then you won't have to worry. He'll be just like all the others. Pity you... give you a good recommendation... make you feel like an alien in your own skin until your last day because you know he'll tell the others. Now there's something Cait would love to get a hold of--

"Tony."

"I can't!" Tony couldn't see anymore as the tears came. He grabbed Gibbs' forearms to resist the gentle hold. "Don't be nice to me! You don't understand!"

Gibbs would not be moved. "Then make me understand!" he demanded.

The demon tempted again. But-- "I can't!" He wanted Gibbs... he loved Gibbs... he couldn't destroy it. Not now... this morning. He wanted it to last just a little longer. Gentle fingers wiped his face, smoothed over his hair. "Oh Boss... please!"

"Please what, Tony?" Gibbs shifted again to sit next to him then pulled DiNozzo against him, returning them to the position they were in before Tony tried to beat his supervisor. "Just relax. I'm not going anywhere. You didn't hurt me and you're not going to."

The need to explode jerked through him then faded. Gibbs made clear he wouldn't allow it. Instead his boss held him, touched him with an intimacy that did not arouse. Tony finally turned his face against Gibbs' bare shoulder and cried, shaking as darkness within his soul found solace, as the quiet cadence of Gibbs' voice shielded him from the other, more terrible, more truthful whispers that threatened. As his tears lessened, as his body yielded to the physical comfort of simply being held he imagined firm lips on his brow as if in promise. Accepting the temporary haven, Tony fell into exhausted sleep.



Asleep. Finally. Gibbs continued to caress his charge, kissing the younger man's hair, silently reassuring. When he was sure he maneuvered Tony to lie down, head and shoulders on his lap, adjusting as DiNozzo shifted to his side his face pressed against Jethro's abdomen. An arousing and enticing position under almost any other circumstance but not even remotely close here. Tony had broken down at the news of his mother's death. Not only broken down but his normally over-enthusiastic yet level headed subordinate became aggressive, tried to escape from him, tried to hurt himself in the process. But as he got Tony to listen the young man simply cried and cried. Helpless, Gibbs found he could do nothing more than hold and comfort and hope he was doing the right thing.

What a night. After years and months of dancing around each other, after being tricked by both his oldest and youngest co-workers, he and Tony had made out, bringing each other off in the middle of the office. Something Gibbs had never imagined doing and knew could never happen again. But, for that moment, it was the right thing. Tony's passion and eagerness were more than he could have imagined. In the aftermath Gibbs had brought Tony to his home with every intention of making full and complete love to him, to begin to build a kind of life they could share together, if that's what Tony wanted.

But by the time they reached his house, Tony had withdrawn, grown shy. Gibbs had already assumed that the younger man was not experienced with men. It was painfully obvious but not a problem for him. He liked to teach. But what surprised him was the idea that Tony might not be very experienced in intimacy with anyone. It didn't make sense for someone as in need of contact as DiNozzo. //What the hell happened to you, Special Agent DiNozzo?// he asked silently as he combed his fingers through the soft, dark hair.

With no answer forthcoming from the exhausted, traumatized young man, Gibbs dismissed all other thoughts except his need to comfort Tony. Keeping contact with his lover he let himself doze, alert to any movement or sound. Vaguely he sensed time pass then he heard a cell phone ring... and ring. He opened his eyes and reached for the cell phone lying on top of the back of the couch. Tony's cell. The caller ID said "Bryan". Tony's brother. Fourteen years older. Six inches taller. Built like a bear. So different from Tony. Bryan DiNozzo was an investigator and bails bondsman. He was very good at his job and completely above board in his practices. In a deep background check on Tony he had learned this. The elder DiNozzo was married to his wife, Tina, for nearly fifteen years and they had two children, Anthony and Briana. Very loving family who seem to love Tony very much.

On the other hand, Tony's parents were another matter. Married nearly fifty years they were law-abiding people but seem to lack attachment to their children, Tony in particular. There was, in investigating, some police incident in the home. But the parents weren't the suspects. And Tony wasn't born until the following year so it had nothing to do with him. Gibbs searched no further. It was none of his business.

The phone trilled again and Gibbs glanced down at the man lying on his lap. Tony was deeply asleep. At the next ring he made a decision and flipped open the phone.

"Gibbs."

"Gibbs?" There was a long pause. "Special Agent Gibbs?"

Deep voice. Direct. Gibbs smiled. He liked DiNozzo's brother already. "I'm Tony's supervisor."

Another pause. Gibbs could hear wheels turning and listened closely. If there was going to be a problem he wanted to know now. "I'm Bryan DiNozzo, Tony's brother. How is he?"

Concern. Deep concern. Loving concern. Gibbs glanced at the display on the cell. It was almost seven in the morning. "He's sleeping."

"Good. Let him sleep. He's been through enough." Pause. "He said he wasn't home. He's at your place?"

Fishing. "Yes."

"That's fine. I'm glad he wasn't alone." Bryan's tone relaxed a little. "When he wakes up, have him call me. The funeral is set for Monday at nine in the morning."

"Where's the funeral home?" Gibbs prepared to make mental note so flowers could be sent. It was the very least they could do.

There was long silence then; "I can't explain to you why though I appreciate what you might want to do but it would not be a good idea to send anything. He just needs people to be there for him."

Filing the mystery away, Gibbs merely nodded, caressing Tony's face as he did so. "We will be."

"Good. Just... he's going to have a bad time." Bryan's voice was strained and hesitant. "I have a feeling he's not going to be himself. Don't let him test you."

"Understood," Gibbs assured, his concern growing in concert with his frustration. He wanted to know what Tony's big brother was talking about but instinct told him it would be the wrong thing to ask.

"Thank you. Tell him to give me a call as soon as he can... or I'll call him about lunchtime. Oh... and Gibbs?" There was a significant pause then; "Hurt him and I'll kill you."

Yes. Gibbs definitely liked this man. "Yes, sir."




The smell of food cooking invaded his dreams. Tony sniffed then shifted, his leg falling over the edge of the soft surface he was lying on. //What--// He blinked. Sunlight invaded through sliding glass doors at the opposite end of the large living area, casting a glow on the small, round dining table in front of them. Light also came in through two side windows to either side of a small fireplace. Tony pushed off the thin blanket that had been tossed on him and sat up. He spotted his cell on the coffee table and picked it up to see the time. It was almost ten in the morning.

Movement caused him to look up. Gibbs was emerging from a side room, the kitchen, with a platter in his hand. He put it down on the dining table and looked around. His lips turned up as he spotted Tony. "You ready to eat?"

Eat? Tony grinned shyly as his stomach growled. "Um... yeah." He stood, feeling oddly stable. His mother was dead. But the thought didn't touch off any extreme emotion, only sadness, regret and guilt. "I'll be right back," he said with meaning as his bladder yelled at him.

"Take your time. There's a half bath by the stairs."

Tony found a door between the front door and the staircase that look like a coat closet. But instead inside was a toilet and sink. DiNozzo did his business and washed up, all the while wondering why he wasn't feeling anything. It was as if nothing happened or it didn't matter. Shock, a more alert part of his brain explained. Maybe, the rest of him tentatively agreed.

The table was set with a couple of plates, utensils, a platter of bacon and scrambled eggs and a container of orange juice that was already open. Not surprisingly there was a full coffee pot resting on a warmer in the middle of the table. "This looks great," Tony commented. His supervisor cooked? For him?

"Sit down, DiNozzo," Gibbs ordered quietly as he walked in carrying a plate of toast and a small tub of butter. "Eat."

Tony sat down in the nearest seat, hoping it wasn't where Gibbs wanted to sit. But the older man merely put the toast and butter down and sat in the other chair so they faced each other and reached for the coffee. Feeling out of place Tony merely watched as his host filled his cup then reached for the toast. As the seconds dragged on, blue eyes pinned Tony. "I don't make breakfast everyday, especially for more than myself. Eat!"

"Yes, boss." Tony picked up the platter and took a little bit of each item then more as that gesture earned him a hairy eye from his companion. He was, to tell the truth, starved. And after consuming a few bites and sipping from a glass suddenly filled with orange juice he began to settle comfortably. Gibbs was silent but it was a comfortable silence, asking no questions and making no demands. Soon enough Tony was full, his brain functioning better. As he took his last bite Gibbs finally spoke.

"Your brother called."

It was casually said. Tony tensed. He really didn't want Gibbs to know his family... even a good guy like Bryan. Because he would find out the rest. "You answered my cell?" he asked, surprised. Gibbs never invaded anyone's privacy unless there was need.

Gibbs concentrated on pouring another cup of coffee. "I did. You were asleep and I didn't want to disturb you." Pause. "Your brother agreed."

Oh. "So... you guys talked?" Did he know already? Tony swallowed. Bryan wouldn't have told him.

"He was very concerned about you," Gibbs quietly sipped his coffee as he looked at him. "He said the funeral is Monday morning."

Tony sighed. Done. His mother would be buried. "Thanks for breakfast," he murmured.

"You're welcome. You can help me clean up." Gibbs cocked his head. "You're on Bereavement Leave for a week," he decreed.

Tony expected that... but not a week. "I won't need that long."

"If it were within my powers I'd have you off for two weeks."

"Two--" Is he trying to tell me something?

"Tony," Gibbs sighed as he got up. He moved to DiNozzo's side and leaned close. "Something is going on and I wish you'd tell me." He dipped lower and brushed Tony's lips with his own then drew back. "I'm worried about you... I love you."

Tony touched his lips as his brain registered what Gibbs just said. Love? Tony met the other man's gaze. "I love you too," he said honestly as he ruthlessly held back tears, knowing feelings would be different once he knew...

Gibbs kissed his forehead. "There's nothing you can tell me that would drive me away, Tony."

Coaxing. Tension filled Tony. The demon whispered, ordered him to tell. But Gibbs had just made him breakfast. Had just tried to help. He just couldn't let it all go to hell yet. Just a little longer. He stared at his lap. "I can't, boss."

Gibbs petted his hair. "That's okay. I'll wait. I just wanted you to know I'm willing to listen."

"Okay," Tony accepted then stood up, a smile on his lips. He would make this time good for them before he had to leave. "You said you needed help with the dishes?"

Gibbs looked as if he wanted to say something else then simply returned the younger man's smile. "I wash. You dry."



Tony's brother called again around noon. The arrangements were done. There would be a wake and service on Sunday and another service and burial on Monday. Bryan urged Tony to take his time, to come Sunday afternoon, after the first service. Gibbs wondered about this. But Tony shut down, revealing nothing but his plans to do just as his brother suggested. Gibbs made one offer to accompany Tony, as his friend and supervisor. But near panic flashed through the younger man's hazel eyes.


I can't tell you how much I appreciate you wanting to be with me... there. But you can't. I-- I can't tell you why. But I don't want you to think--

It's okay, Tony. Maybe after you come back... we can talk?


DiNozzo promised but there was a hint of foreboding in his voice. Gibbs drove Tony to NCIS so DiNozzo could take his own car home and pack before driving to Pennsylvania tomorrow. As he watched his friend... his lover... drive away his gut kept up a steady stream of warning, urging him to act. But without information Gibbs was helpless.

Hesitantly Gibbs took out his cell. He also didn't like bothering his people with personal issues, especially something like this. Yet the tiny voice in his soul cried, convincing him that if he did nothing the resulting train wreck would be his fault.

"Gibbs?" Abby sounded very sleepy. It was nearly two in the afternoon. Middle of the night for the goth woman when she wasn't working. "What's wrong?"

"Hey Abs." Gibbs bit his lip. He was about to betray Tony's trust. Should he?

"I heard about Tony. Ducky spread the word.... just to me and Cait. Told us you didn't want any of us to call him."

"No." Tony seemed almost phobic about mentioning his family. He nearly turned white when Gibbs mentioned speaking to his brother. Something was more than very wrong. "Abs, I need a very big... very personal... favor."

"Whatever you need, bossman," Abby said without hesitation.

Gibbs let out a long breath, warmed by the steadfast loyalty. "It's about Tony. Just before I took him on there was the usual background and deep background checks done. Of course he and his family are fine but-- Abs, something's not right. I need you to do another check on Tony. Anything on his parents. There was something that happened in 1971 but there might be something else." He sighed, exasperated. "I don't know."

There was long silence. Gibbs frowned and stared at his phone, wondering if the connection had been broken. But Abby was still there. "Abs?"

"I'm here." Abby sounded disturbed. "Gibbs, I don't want to betray a trust. Tony said something once... we were talking about parents. He said his parents hated him but then they deserved to. It was really weird, Gibbs. When I tried to say something he suddenly changed the subject, acting as if he hadn't said anything. I rarely mentioned family to him after that."

Gibbs swallowed his fear. The alarms bells suddenly turned into full mayday sirens. "Please check for me? And make sure you don't leave a trail."

"Like a Shaolin on rice paper, grasshopper."

Gibbs opened his mouth to ask what the hell she was talking about when the connection was broken. Abby would be on the case... his case. He thought a moment then made another call. "Hey, Ducky. I-- I need to talk to you."






He broke no speed limit as he drove. Played no music. It was a bright, cool day but it might as well have been storming. Tony couldn't remember much of the four hour drive from his home to his brother's place. His mind filled with memories that played over and over.


"Look at him! Look at him! Spitting image!"

"No! No! It can't be! It can't be!"



A horn sounded close to him. Instinctively he moved his steering wheel, barely avoiding an accident. Now wouldn't that just set everything off, he chided himself. He needed to get to Bryan's in one piece, not give his brother more grief than he already had. But as he settled into driving his mind drifted back in time once more. He was in the living room playing with some new toy his brother had gotten him. A strange man in a suit was sitting with his parents talking in low tones like grownups did sometimes. The man was showing them some things Tony didn't understand and didn't care about. Sesame Street was on television. He liked Sesame Street...



"Get out!"

His father's sharp voice drew Tony's attention and put him on alert. His father was big like his brother. But his brother was nice. His father was not nice...

"Mr. DiNozzo, I only--"

"If my wife says she doesn't recognize him! She doesn't recognize him! It's over!"

The strange man left. His father slammed the front door. Tony heard his mother cry and walked over, meaning to climb into her lap and hug her... make her better.

"Don't touch her!"

Tony didn't remember falling or hitting his head. His father was screaming. He didn't usually scream but he did grab and sometimes hurt....

"You little bastard! Right under our noses!"

His father's face was red... very angry. Tony wondered what he had done. He was watching television. He was behaving like he was told. His brother was coming to take him to see a movie and play at the park. He looked around frantically as his father stepped closer. Where was Bry?

"Bob, don't! Don't do that!"

His father hesitated. "Do what! You don't have anything to say! It's your fault he's here!"

"Hey! What the fuck's going on!"

Tony vision blurred with tears. Bry was home. Bry looked mad though. Tony wondered what he had done.

"There was a detective here... they found the scum who beat you and your mother!"

His brother stood straighter. His expression was odd as he rubbed his face... his jaw. "They did?"

"He did it again to someone else only worse!" His father glared at his mother who began to cry again. Her pain lanced through Tony. He wanted to hug her but his father said not to touch. "He wanted your mother to identify him... testify!"

His brother looked at him, his brows wrinkling. He walked over and picked Tony up. Frightened Tony squealed and pushed impossibly at him. He didn't want to be hurt again.

"No. No. Tony... kid, it's all right." His brother held him close. "He's fucking bleeding, Dad! What the hell's wrong with you!"

"I don't want him near your mother! That detective showed us a picture!"

"I know what the fucker looks like, Dad! I was there! Remember?" His ruffled Tony's head gently then peered at him closely. Tony was trying not to cry. He was supposed to be a big boy. "It's okay, buddy. We're going to go out like I promised and I'll take care of that boo-boo on your head. Okay?"

Confused Tony merely nodded as he wiped his eyes. Bry was so mad... like his father. But he wasn't mad at him. His father was--

"Son, do you know what you're holding? He's not worth--"

Something in his big brother's body changed. Frightened again Tony pushed. He wanted to go to his room... needed to hide under the bed... like he always did when Bry wasn't home and his father and mother got mad at him. But his brother held him, kissed him on the head. "I know, Dad," his brother said in a way that Tony hadn't heard before. He sounded almost like their father... but different. "I've never tried to deny it like you two, when you weren't arguing about it. Dad... this kid is six years old. Six! He hasn't done anything worse than throw a tantrum and he's never done much of that! He. Is. My. Brother."

"He's a demon." his mother said as she stood. She wiped her tissue over her face, suddenly calm and walked to stand next to his father. "You're father's right. He's my punishment."

"That's it!" his brother shouted. "You two need to calm down and look at what you're doing... saying! Tony's not deaf, you know! And for now he's coming with me!"

"Bryan! What the hell are you doing! You have classes starting in a week!"

His brother said nothing but took Tony into his bedroom. Bry put him down and told him what a good boy he was being and to get some of his favorite books and toys together. He would come stay with him for a little while. Confused, Tony stared at his brother, unable to fathom. He had never been away from home before. Bry merely ruffled his head again and told him to hurry up then closed the door.

Moments later there was an explosion of shouts and crying from downstairs. Tony looked at his bed... under his bed as the temptation to hide overwhelmed him. The shouts began to die down. Tony forced himself to be brave and only reached under the bed for his blanket... the only thing other than Bryan he could hold onto. He took his spelling book and his book about policemen. He wanted to be a policeman when he grew up--

"Ready to go kid?"

The door was open and his brother stood tall, holding out his hand. His face was a color Tony had seen only after his brother played basketball and he was breathing hard, but his dark eyes met Tony's with a smile. Tony held his possessions against him. "I'm going to be with you?" he wondered.

His brother's smile got a little smaller. "For a little while, kid. Mom and Dad aren't mad at you... they just have some things to talk about... grownup things... then I'll bring you back."



END of PART 1; CONTINUED in PART 2

Chapter End Notes:
I'm posting this in parts because I'm afraid to post the whole story and have it cut off in some people's servers.