- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
When Tony goes missing during an investigation, the team start a race against time to find him before it's too late.

Gibbs was sitting at his desk, staring into the air for a while. Kate was going over the case file from Baltimore for the 17th time in 2 hours, trying to find something they'd missed the first 16 times. McGee was with Abby, working on Michael Taylor's computer and trying to find some hint of where he was hiding Tony. So far no one had come up with anything. Gibbs slammed his fist on the desk, making Kate jump. He noticed that her eyes were filled with tears. But he wasn't going to start crying. And he was not going to give up on Tony either. He looked at the timer; they still had 45 minutes until….
There had to be something; somewhere there was a clue as to where Tony was. He just couldn't see it.
"Grab everything we've got and let's go."
Kate started to gather her files and dried her eyes, "where‘re we going?"
"Down to Abby"

They were all gathered in Abby's lab. Ducky walked in with coffee for everybody.
"Okay, we're going to go over everything again. We are missing something! Somewhere in here is the answer to where the hell Tony is." Gibbs said and pointed to Abby.
"Did you get anything of the box?"
"No, nothing new. I matched the partial I found on the outside. It's Michael Taylor's. There were no traces of dirt on the box so it hadn't been buried. I ran all the tests I could think of on the C4, but came up with nothing. Sorry Gibbs"
"It's okay. McGee?"
"Nothing on Michael Taylor's computer or in his personal file. He didn't own anything after the bankruptcy. They only rented the house. Local LEO's checked the back yard, but no signs of recent digging."
Gibbs looked even angrier than ever when he finally turned to Kate. This was wrong. You don't just burry a guy without leaving a single trace.
"Kate?"
"Nothing to tie Tony to petty officer Hawks. Looks like he was just an innocent guy, who happened to own the car Taylor needed. And there's nothing on the Baltimore case either. Everything happened in Baltimore. The cabin, the cave. The daughter's also buried in Baltimore. There's no way, that Taylor had the time to drive all the way to Baltimore to burry the box, and get back again. I don't know what else it could be, Gibbs, I'm sorry"

"Sorry doesn't help Tony get out of this. Come on, people. THINK! What is it we're missing? The answer is here! And we're running out of time"

Kate suddenly jumped down from the table she was sitting on. She went over to the table with the evidence and started looking for something.
"What is it, Caitlin?" Ducky inquired.
Kate didn't answer him, but found what she was looking for; the obituary.
"It's here somewhere. It says Detective Dinozzo. That's how we knew to find the case in Baltimore."
Gibbs walked over to her, and took the note, "wait a minute;" He pinched his eyes trying to read.
"Six Feet Under. It's gotta mean something else. What if Taylor wasn't speaking metaphorically but literally? That Tony really is somewhere six feet under?"
"I think you're on to something, Gibbs" Kate responded.
McGee looked a little puzzled, "but where is that? Where are people buried six feet under?"
Ducky came up with the answer to that question,
"That's easy my boy……..the cemetery"

"Would he use just any grave, or would he make one specifically for Dinozzo?" Gibbs asked, his question directed at Kate.
"He would get a new one. There were crucifixes all over their house, which indicates, that Michael Taylor was a strict Catholic. Whatever hatred he felt towards Tony, he would still make sure he got buried on holy ground."

"Cool! You're going grave robbing" of course Abby could see a light in this dark situation that surrounded them all.

"But, Gibbs, where do we begin? Do you realize how many cemeteries there are in DC?"

"Then we better get on it! Everybody get on the phone. Call every cemetery in the DC area. I don't care what time it is or how much they bitch and complain. We've got 30 minutes, people!"

Kate was the one to strike gold. On her fourth call she got a sweet elderly sexton who remembered the name Dinozzo.
"Why yes, I remember someone by that name. We got the request 2 days ago from his brother I believe. The funeral is tomorrow. I just had the digger finishing the grave this afternoon. Funny thing was, his brother insisted on it being ad deep as possible. Why that is, I have no idea. He wasn't very old, poor fellow. But the reason I remember it so clearly is the tombstone…" but Kate wasn't there any more. She was running for the elevator where Gibbs and McGee were waiting...




Tony tried to shift his weight around but the box didn't leave much room for comfort. Maybe he should just shoot a hole in the box. But he didn't know how far below ground he was, and he let the idea go. He could only wait…. And hope…

He was so tired, but couldn't find rest… or peace… He was just tired; and his thoughts started to drift. He'd been trying so hard not to think about it. But fatigue and the sheer exhaustion from the whole situation took over. He could no longer keep the fear away. This wasn't the first time he'd been trapped in a box…

When he was about 6, he was playing hide-and-seek with some of his friends from the neighbourhood. He was so exited, because this time Tony had found the perfect hide-out. He'd been planning it for months; the old box in the backyard, where his father usually stores the firewood for the winter. It was perfect because it was only half full, and no one would know.
The game started and he followed his plan. And it worked. Nobody came and opened the box. An hour went by and no one came. Then two. He was finally was so sore from lying on the logs of wood, and he decided that this time he had won the game. He pushed his hand against the lid… but it didn't move an inch. Tony bent his legs and push with all that he had but nothing happened. And then that familiar feeling of panic set in. He started kicking and screaming on the walls around him; crying out for help. For someone to come and find him.

Lying in the plastic box, Tony could still feel his throat tying up, cutting of his breath, and the feeling of panic came rolling over him like a wave. How long he'd been kicking he didn't know, but suddenly the box was opened and his father was standing over him, a look of relief on his face. But in his memory his fathers face started to change this time; it turned into Gibbs. The expression on his face was the same as his fathers; relief.

Tony stopped kicking the Plexiglas box, not even realizing he'd started. The panic filling his entire body; like a horrible decease, eating its way through every little piece of him. But Gibbs would come and take it away. He knew he would… he hoped he would…he wished…

Gibbs… A psychologist would have enough work for several months if he started to analyze the relationship between the two of them. Tony wasn't even sure what they were. Boss/employee? Mentor/student? Father/son?
They were more than just coworkers. That much he was certain of. There was more.
Tony admired Gibbs. Everything about him. To Tony Gibbs was everything he wanted to be. Except maybe for the bastard part…
And the boat thing…
Not to mention the whole ex-wives-thing…

For 3 years he'd tried to live up to the ex-marine. Trying to everything right. And all he'd got for it was a million head-slaps… which was actually a good thing. It made him feel wanted.
Sometimes he felt closer to Gibbs than to his own father… At least Gibbs appreciated him for who he was…

Tony looked at the timer; deep down he already knew what was going to happen when that timer reached its final destination; feelings overwhelmed him, and tears started running down his face. His worst nightmare…00:01:29…28




Gibbs slammed on the breaks as they reached the entrance to the cemetery; making McGee hit his head on the seat in front of him, and Kate had to use all her strength to keep the same thing from happening to her head and the dashboard.

The sexton was waiting for them outside, still in his PJ's. Kate felt a little sorry for him but the feeling quickly faded at the thought of Tony. They were so close now.

"Where is it?" Gibbs commanded.

"Well, it's just on the other side of that hill. You see that old oak tree? Right next to it. I could show you if……"

But Gibbs was already running towards the oak tree; Kate and McGee trying to keep up with him.

Gibbs looked down his arm; 30 seconds…..




Tony closed his eyes and imagined he was back in at the office. Probie was lying on the floor, working once again on the office-computers; probably installing the latest software. Tony gave him a smile, and poor probie didn't know what to do. Then he smiled. Kate was on the phone, shushing Tony away. Probably a private conversation with a date. So naturally Tony did everything to try and eavesdrop. Then he felt the familiar slap on the back of his head. Gibbs walked past him, coffee in his hand. He turned and smiled. ‘Weird seeing Gibbs smile'. Somewhere in the distance he could here Abby and Ducky's voices, and they walked in seconds later, bringing lunch for everybody. Everyone else gathered around Gibbs' desk. But Tony stood still, watching them.
Then they all stopped and looked up at him, and asked unanimously, "What?"

Tony tried so hard to keep this image in his mind. The only people he really regarded as his family. All together like always…
But then the image started to change and he saw Emma's face. The expression on her face, when they found her. She must have been scared to death, when the cave started to collapse around her. That was what's going to happen to him too.
When the timer reached zero, it would all collapse and he would be trapped….

Tony held the gun up to the side of his face…It would be so easy… one little squeeze of a trigger and it would all be over. No horrific death; no fear. It would just be over in a second.
But he couldn't do it. There was still a chance that he would get out of here. A long shot granted… but still a shot…




Gibbs was running as fast as his feet would carry him; his flashlight dancing around wildly. He almost stumbled over a tombstone but just kept running. He had to get there in time.
Tony was counting on him… He knew the young agent expected him to come… And his feet carried him just a little bit faster…

Then a beep echoed in the night….

The sound Gibbs had feared the most all night echoed in his mind…Time was up




Tony tightened every muscle in his body…5 seconds… He was still holding the gun close to his chest… "Our Father, who are in heaven…Give me strength…" and then the timer reached its final mark….Time was up

A small explosion made his ears hurt and he tried to cover them. But the sound that followed made Tony stop every movement.

The sound of glass shattering…

Tony frantically turned his head from side to side as the whole box turned into pieces…. And then it gave in to the pressure of the dirt.

A heavy load fell on his chest, stopping his breath and everything faded to black….




Gibbs stopped at the old oak, short of breath. His flashlight started to frantically search all the tombstones. Kate and McGee caught up with him, and started to search…

"Over here!" Gibbs' yell echoed through the cold autumn air, and they came running.

The Tombstone had the same inscription as the obituary. The grave was covered but the soil on top of it had sunk about 20 inches. Gibbs heart dropped to the ground; the box must've collapsed. Gibbs dropped to his knees and started to remove the soil with his hand. They couldn't use the shovel out of fear of hurting Tony. Kate and McGee joined in, and they were all work in a heart racing pace.
"You call the paramedics?" Gibbs asked the rest of his team.
"I did, Boss. They're on their way" McGee answered, digging a little harder and a little faster.
"Come on Tony, hang in there" Gibbs spoke softly; like a prayer…

"GOD DAMMIT, you hang in there!" this time it wasn't quiet. It was an order…

Suddenly a pain shot through his hand… He'd cut himself on a piece of the box. But he ignored it and kept digging.

"TONY, can you hear me?" There was no answer.

Gibbs's hand found a piece of cloths, and he yanked it. Tony's leg appeared.
Kate removed the soil from the other end, and Tony's face became visible. But nothing happened. There was gasp for air or any signs of life. Tony was way to quiet.
"Oh God.."
"Let's get him out of here" Gibbs grabbed Tony's feet and McGee out his hands under the shoulders and they lifted his out of his grave.
They gently put him down on the ground, and Gibbs placed his fingers on the side of the neck. He prayed that he would find what he was looking for; a pulse.
But there was nothing…

Gibbs removed Tony's shirt and placed his hands on the young agent's chest.
"McGee, get the paramedics up here!" McGee was already gone.
Kate lifted Tony's head into position, and placed her mouth over his. God, how Tony would have loved it.

"1..2..3..4..5..6..7……" Gibbs started counting till he reached 15.
"Come on, Tony. Don't do this!"
Kate blew air into Tony's lungs.
"1..2..3..4…" Gibbs was working frantically to get the blood going again.
And then they did it over and over again, and again, and again….

McGee came running, paramedics right behind him…
They threw their bags down and Kate got out of the way.
But Gibbs wouldn't stop. He kept pressing his hands down on Tony'chest, trying to get his heart to start up.
Kate and McGee had to grab him on each side to get him away.
"Come on, Gibbs. Let them do their job!"
Gibbs got up… in his head he was still counting…1..2..3..4..5

Paramedics placed the paddles on Tony's chest. His body jumped as the electricity surged through him.

Nothing….

"Again" the paramedic ordered as he was giving Tony an injection.

Then the second jolt…..nothing…..

Third jolt…..nothing…

The paramedics looked at each other…

"Again!" this time Gibbs was the one to give the order…

Tony's body rose once again as the forth jolt of electricity surges through his lifeless body…. The paramedic placed his fingers on Tony's neck in search of a pulse…

Chapter End Notes:
Challenge #26. Again I apologize for any misspelling or funny sentences:-)