- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
An undercover assignment goes drastically wrong. Can the team get Tony out before it is too late?
In Too Deep- ch 10

Watching the roof door swing shut behind Gibbs, McGee drew a shaky breath and looked worriedly at Kate. "Do you think Tony's going to be okay? I mean…I mean…" He blushed as he stumbled over his words, grateful when Kate seemed to know what he was trying to say.

Kate gave a small reassuring smile and spoke with far more confidence than she felt. "This is DiNozzo. Tim. He won't let something like this hold him down for long! He'll be back in the office before we know it, looking through my bag and telling his latest girlfriend or us all about the latest movie he watched. Besides have you ever known Tony to disobey a direct order from Gibbs?"

Tim nodded unconvinced, "Yeah you're right. Kate." He answered trying to copy Kate's positive attitude, "Tony won't let this beat him! Gibbs would kill him!"

Kate grinned and slapped the younger agent on the shoulder, "Lets find some evidence that will catch these bastards!" She instructed as she knelt down and began to take photos of the cell phone that now lie shattered on the bitumen. She lowered the camera and watched silently for a moment as McGee quietly moved off and began a perimeter search of the area. Standing back up, she removed her own phone from her pocket and contacted the NCIS forensic team to come and take prints of the door and anywhere else they could think of.

Quickly disconnecting from that call, she hit the speed dial for Abby, only having to wait a few seconds before she heard Abby's anxious voice, "Did you find him, Kate?"

Dropping her voice, she glanced back at the shattered phone as the image of Tony standing on the ledge rapidly replayed in her mind, "We found him, Abs. He's on his way to the hospital. Gibbs and Ducky are with him." She swallowed hard, willing the tears that burned in her eyes not to fall as she cleared her throat and continued, "It doesn't look good. Tony was critical when they left!" She heard a small gasp from Abby and rapidly tried to reassure her. "Hey Abs, Tony's going to be fine." Drawing a deep breathe, Kate tried to refocus the call on the investigation, "Abs,it looks like Tony managed to get away from the bastards that were holding him. I need to know the GPS location when this last call originated from."

She waited a moment before Abby answered, "The call originated at the corner of 22nd Avenue and Main. On the same side of the street that you are on!"

"Thanks Ab." Kate said softly before disconnecting the call. She turned and walked briskly to where McGee now stood sketching the rooftop. "Find anything?" She asked.

He shook his head solemnly, "I think this is just where Tony ran to. No signs of any other disturbance."

"I think you're right. If Tony escaped and made it here, than they were probably chasing him and made it into the building before we arrived, probably heard us enter and slipped out of the stairwell. I'm going to get some of the local boys to make a sweep of the building and canvas any of the occupants. Maybe someone noticed them. " Kate told McGee, "Than I'm going to organize a SWAT team to move into the building where we first got the GPS co ordinates for the last call. I'm hoping they have retreated like rats back to their nest!"

"You think that they would risk going back there?" Tim asked.

Kate flick her hair back from her face, "They are starting to make mistakes. We know that they are users and I'm willing to bet that they have their stash still there. They'll go back to retrieve it. If they have we have them!" She informed the younger agent confidently as she moved off to issue her orders, McGee close behind.

NCISNCISNCIS

Growling angrily, Harding dragged Kiki back towards the building. He had taken them through the back alleyway in an attempt to elude the cops and NCIS agents now converging on the scene. He was growing impatient with the terrified woman he was dragging along and was sick and tired of her moaning about the NCIS cop being able to identify them. A small thought niggled at him as he dragged Kiki to the safety of the warehouse. Kiki was definitely a threat to his freedom. He knew that she would crack under pressure and admit to what they had done- something that he would not allow to happen!

He stopped and looked at the woman whom had been his lover for the last five years. Cupping her face gently in his hands, he whispered, "Baby, I could never let them catch you. I promise that it will never happen!"

Kiki looked up and smiled, she knew Harding would take care of her, protect her. She believed him totally when he told her that she would not be caught and she sighed lovingly as she felt his hands caress her neck. "Paul." She whispered affectionately before she felt the hands tighten. She struggled to break free from his chocking hold, her eyes wide in surprise and fear as she struggled to draw a new breath of air into her tortured lungs. Her world slowly darkened around her and she felt herself grow limp as the last sounds she heard was Harding's cruel laughter and his whispered words, "No, they wont ever catch you!"

NCISNCISNCIS

"Gibbs paced the small waiting room, the mug of hot coffee, Ducky had forced into his hands shortly after Tony was wheeled into the examination room was still held forgotten in his hand. His mind replayed tony screaming and struggling in their arms, wanting to fly away from the monsters. He shivered as he remembered the lucid look in Tony's eyes just before he had…just before… Tony's whispered words haunted him. "I waited for you to come. Thought you were watching my…" He turned and paced back towards the waiting room door. He had broken a promise that he made to all of his agents. He wasn't there when Tony needed him the most!

Ducky had told him in the ambulance that whatever Tony had said was not what Tony believed! It was the drugs talking and Tony would have Known Gibbs was tearing the town apart to find him!

Gibbs shook his head and turned back in the direction he had just came from. He glanced at his watch and sighed. An hour – what the hell was taking them so damn long! Ducky had promised to update him on DiNozzo's condition as soon as he could! And where the Hell was Kate and McGee- neither had reported in to him from the scene since he had left! He took a sip of the now long cold coffee and grimaced at the taste. What the hell had gone wrong!

The coffee cup flew across the room and shattered against the wall, leaving Gibbs to stare at the brown liquid as it slowly snaked its way down the wall.