- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
An undercover assignment goes drastically wrong. Can they save Tony before it is too late?
In Too Deep – Ch 12

The search through the old abandoned apartment building was slow and methodical; each small apartment was entered with extreme caution and searched. So far the search had been fruitless with the teams of NCIS agents and police only finding the scant belongings of squatters who used the building to shelter from the night and wandered the streets during the day. Kate Todd leaned tiredly against the wall and brushed a strand of hair from her face, she was aware that Gibbs was expecting a report from them soon and she did not want to be the one who had to report that they had not found anything yet.

She pushed away from the wall and began to climb the stairs towards the next floor, her thoughts wandering briefly to DiNozzo and the scene an hour earlier on the rooftop across the street. A cold chill of fear ran up her spine as she remembered Tony's terrified screams and struggles as Gibbs and Ducky tried to subdue him followed by the sudden sickening silence when Tony went into cardiac arrest. A soft beep from the radio she was carrying pulled her from the disturbing memory and she quickly pulled it to her lips, depressing the button as she snapped' "Todd."

"Kate, It's Tim. We found the apartment! Apartment 4 B!" McGee's excited voice crackled through the radio.

"On my way!" Kate answered into the radio as she began to jog up the internal stairs, the exhaustion that plagued her only moments before forgotten.

Entering the small litter strewn apartment, Kate gagged at the stench. The smell of rotting garbage intermingled with the sickly smell of sweet and blood. Discarded needles, garbage and old unwashed clothes and rags were strewn across the floor. She carefully stepped over the litter and headed to the corner of the room where McGee and another NCIS agent, whom she did not recognize were squatted, examining something on the floor. As she drew closer she spied what had their attention- two pieces of bloodstained rope and a straw lay abandoned, a light sprinkling of white powder covered a small area of the floor nearby.

McGee glanced up as her shadow fell over them. "Looks like they had tony tied up here when they forced him to inhale the Angel Dust. The ropes look like they were broken, not cut or untied, wonder if that's how Tony got loose?"

"Angel Dust gives the user super human strength as well as makes them feel invincible. Maybe Harding didn't count on that when he gave the drug to Tony." Kate answered distractedly as she began to glance around the rest of the room, noticing other agents and police officers entering the other two rooms to search them. "Looks like Tony surprised them by escaping. They left their drug stash on the table!" she observed, "Maybe they thought they could catch him before we reached him!"

Tim craned his neck to look at the needles and drugs lying haphazardly on the table. "Maybe they will come back!" He suggested.

Kate shook her head, "Not while we are here! Better snap some pictures, McGee. I'll contact Gibbs and give him a report and find out how Tony is."

McGee nodded and rose slowly to his feet, "Want me to do the sketches as well?"

"I'll do them in a minute." Kate answered pulling her cell phone from her pocket and flipping it open.

Before she was able to hit the speed dial for Gibbs' number an excited metro officer hurried into the apartment. "Uhh, I'm after the agent in charge!" He stated excitedly.

"That's me!" Kate answered stepping forward, "Special Agent Todd, NCI…"

Her sentence was not finished as the young officer announced, "They have found a body in the back alleyway. A woman! Fits the description of one of your suspects. The Sarge says it looks to him like she has been strangled!"

Tim glanced at Kate, startled by the news.

"Come on, McGee, let's check it out!" Kate ordered as she hurried out of the door and followed the police office. The crime scene was secure, she knew that they could return in a few minutes and carry out there investigation. The body in the alley now carried priority. She opened her cell phone again and hit the speed dial, waiting only for a short ring before she heard the voice she wanted. "Ducky, we need you back here at the scene ASAP!" She announced, "We have a customer for you!" Her voice dropped and she asked, "How's Tony?"

"He's in surgery, my dear. His prognosis is quite promising." Ducky replied.

"Thank God," Kate breathed, "Is Gibbs with you Ducky?"

"Yes he is, would you like to speak to him?"

"Please."


NCISNCISNCIS

Gibbs listened to Kate's brief report before he disconnected the call. He took a sip of his coffee before he turned to Ducky and asked. "Tony will be in surgery for a couple more hours, right Duck?"

The Medical Examiner nodded, "At least two or three, Jethro and than he will be placed in the recovery room. I'm afraid that they won't let you see him for at least another three or four hours"

Gibbs nodded and rose to his feet. "I'll take you back to the scene, Ducky. I'm not doing Tony any good sitting around here! At least out there, I might catch the bastard before Tony wakes up!" He stated as he walked towards the door, not waiting to see if the Medical Examiner was even following.

NCISNCISNCIS

Hidden behind some old grates, Harding watched as the alley slowly filled with cops and NCIS agents. He had hoped to have been well on his way to freedom by now but had been forced to hide as the area had become inundated with cops and NCIS. He had barely time to slip into the cramped hidey-hole after killing Kiki, surprised by the sudden arrival of a young metro officer at the entrance to the alley.

The cop was so wet behind the ears that he had only glanced into the darkened alley and had not discovered Kiki's body immediately, giving him time to cover his hiding spot more securely. He peered through the small peephole he had made and watched as Kiki's body was surrounded by investigators, the area surrounding it was being searched and photographed. He laughed silently to himself, ‘God there was even a guy sketching the whole scene!'

A tall silver haired agent quickly entered the alleyway accompanied by a smaller older man. Harding watched intrigued, as the Agent seemed to take control, unable to hear his words, Harding instinctively realized that this man was definitely the lead agent. He glanced again around at the scene in front if him, aware that his hiding spot was in real danger of being discovered. He knew he had to make a move and make it fast if he didn't want to be trapped like a mouse. He stared again at the lead agent and smiled. ‘Yes, he is the ticket out of here!"

Kneeling down besides Ducky, Gibbs visually examined the woman lying dead on the ground. Once she would have been beautiful but the years of abuse and drug abuse had obviously taken their toll on her looks and health. There was no need for Ducky to speculate to him how the woman died- the dark vivid bruises encircling her throat told him without words. He stood and glanced around, pleased to see that Kate had already organized the securing of the crime scene and the collecting of needed evidence. McGee was sketching as Kate took the photos; a perimeter search was being carried out by NCIS agents and police.

Something about the scene bothered him and he stood and walked towards the crates that were piled next to the wall. He turned and studied the area in front of him.

Harding saw his opportunity and took it. He leaped to his feet and quickly stepped out from behind the crates; his arm encircling the agent's throat as his other hand quickly reached around and pulled the agent's gun from its holster. His grip tightened as he felt the agent begin to react and he pressed the gun to the NCIS lead agent's head. "Move and you're a dead man!" He growled softly into the agent's ear.

.