- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
An undercover assignment goes drastically wrong. can the team get Tony out before it is too late?
In Too Deep Ch 13

"Harding!" The single word tore from Gibbs' lips like an expletive causing everyone to stop and turn towards the pair.

"Ah, Agent Gibbs, I assume. We finally meet face to face! Your boy called out for you several times during our games!" Harding chuckled into Gibbs' ear as he tightened his hold and turned his attention to the NCIS agents and police who now had weapons out and trained upon them. "Drop your guns unless you want me to blow his brains all over this alleyway!" He ordered pressing the gun harder against Gibbs head causing the older man to wince in pain. "Don't think I wont do it!"

McGee continued to hold his aim as he looked uncertainly at both Kate and Gibbs. Kate had not even reacted to the madman's threat and her aim remained steady. The look in Gibbs' eyes warned McGee had he would have hell to pay if his gun even wavered in its aim. The police and other agents around him continued to train their guns on the pair.

"We're going to slowly walk out of here! Tell them to back off, Gibbs, or you will be a dead man!" Harding hissed as he edged along the wall towards the alley opening using Gibbs as his human shield.

"I'm not letting you go anywhere!" Gibbs growled. "You're going to get everything you deserve after what you did to Agent DiNozzo!" He promised. He heard Harding chuckle and felt his grip loosen a little as he leaned closer to whisper something.

Taking the opportunity, Gibbs reached up and grabbed Harding's arm, tossing the startled man over his shoulder and onto the ground in front of him with a bone-numbing crush. Quickly reaching down before Harding had time to catch his breath or react; Gibbs twisted the gun free from his hand, ignoring the loud snap of the criminal's wrist. He yanked the man to his feet and slammed him against the brick wall, pulling his arms behind him and tightly snapping the handcuffs on. "I want him booked! Kidnapping, torture, murder and attempted murder for starters." He growled, pulling Harding back a step from the wall and shoving him towards McGee. "And I want the bastard shackled - hands and legs until I interrogate him later!"

"Right, Boss!" McGee answered with a grin, roughly grabbing Harding's arm and dragging him struggling towards the car.

Gibbs turned back to Kate, "I want everything bagged and tagged. I want nothing overlooked! Here or at the apartment!"

"Will do!" Kate answered, before she nervously shifted from foot to foot. "Ah Gibbs, did you really want Harding shackled until you interrogate him. I kinda hoped that…that after we finish here…that maybe…Tony would be out of surgery…"

"Are you asking if we are going straight back to the office after we are finished here or are we going to the hospital?" Gibbs asked, stifling a smile as Kate shifted under his stare again and nodded.

Gibbs grinned. "I think a few hours of being shackled might give Harding a taste of his own medicine. He's a junkie, by the time we are finished at the hospital, he should be starting to hurt a little, be more willing to co-operate. I think giving him a few uncomfortable hours to stew wouldn't hurt, do you, Ducky?"

"Oh no, Jethro, in fact I believe it might be very beneficial for the Harding to discover how it feels to have a lack of control over his surroundings!" The M.E. agreed as he joined the pair. "In fact I remember a young chap in Vietnam or was it…"

Gibbs smiled, "Lets try and wrap this up here." He ordered glancing down at his watch, "Dinozzo will be out of surgery soon and I want to be there when he wakes!"

NCISNCISNCIS

Soft muted sounds began to drift through the cocoon of darkness that protected him. He remained still, trying hard to ignore the pain. He didn't want them to know he was awake. If they knew they would attack him again. Better to play dead than to gain their attention. Slowly the muted sounds of the monsters that surrounded him faded and Tony drifted back into the safety of unconsciousness.

NCISNCISNCIS

"Drink this, Jethro." Ducky commanded quietly, pushing the hot mug of hospital industrial strength coffee into his hand before settling into the seat beside him.

Gibbs sighed and took a sip before lowering the cup and continued to stare at the motionless figure on the bed. Tony's ribs and left shoulder were wrapped tightly, his arm encased in a heavy white cast, the dark bruises that mottled his body stood out starkly against the too pale skin. He studied the small green line that traveled across the heart monitor and the tubing that ran down from the IV bag above the bag and disappeared under the sheets near Tony's right hand. "I though he was awake a little earlier Ducky but he didn't open his eyes." Gibbs said softly.

"Give him a little time, Jethro, young Anthony has been quite a lot and so have you! He may drift in and out of consciousness for a couple more hours." Ducky reassured Gibbs quietly "After all, the lad has quite a potent mixture of drugs mixed with the anesthetic he received. I'm hoping that he might sleep until the drugs are completely out of his system."

Gibbs nodded unconvinced and took a second sip of the scalding liquid, grimacing at the taste. "Reminds me of the stuff I drank in the Gulf." He grumbled.

"I sent Kate and McGee home, not much they can do waiting out in the corridor for young Anthony to wake." Ducky continued quietly, carefully watching Gibbs. " They refused to go home instead Kate asked me to let you know that she and McGee were heading back to the office to start on the reports." Gibbs nodded absently, his eyes never leaving the man in the bed. "I also examined Harding's right wrist. It was broken when you wrestled the gun free. I reset it and placed it in a cast."

"So he is unshackled?" Gibbs growled angrily as he turned abruptly and glared at the older man.

Ducky smiled and glanced over the rims of his glasses. "Now Jethro, would I let Kate or Timothy disobey a direct order from you. I just got them to adjust the wrist shackle a little to accommodate for the cast." He answered with a chuckle.

Gibbs smiled but a small whimper from the bed caught his attention. He turned back just in time to see Tony's eyes open wide in terror. He stood up and leaned over the frightened man, gently grabbing his arm. "It's okay, Tony, you're safe! You're in the hospital! You're going to be fine!" He tried to reassure the now struggling man.

"No! No! Get away from me! Leave me alone!" Tony shouted as he struggled against both Ducky and Gibbs as they tried to restrain him. "Get off of me! Leave me alone!" Tony shouted hysterically as he knocked over the IV machine, causing the IV needle to tear from his arm.

"Hold him Jethro!" Ducky shouted as Tony pushed Ducky away.

"I'm trying! Calm down Dinozzo. Come on Tony, you're safe!"

The two men continued their desperate struggle as Tony continued to thrush around trying to get free. The door to the room suddenly opened and Gibbs was pushed aside as several nurses and doctors quickly surround Tony and subdued him. Within a few moments the young agent was in a deep drug induced sleep.

Gibbs watched horrified as leather straps were gently placed around Tony's wrist and ankles and securely attached to the bedrails.