- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Three dead Marines and Tony goes missing investigating. Can they find him in time?

In Too Deep Chapter 2


Kate glanced up from her computer and watched interestedly as Tony approached their boss, grinning like an excited schoolboy. Gibbs slowly placed the cup of coffee he was drinking from onto his desk and said, "Okay, Tony, what's your brilliant idea?"


"We know that all the marines were last seen with a blonde in a nightclub. She seems to prefer marines just back from Iraq."


"Part of her victims' profiles, Tony." Kate pointed out, "We know that this is some type of a serial killing. The killer looks for marines with specific physical characteristics and backgrounds, someone who fits the profile of whom ever the killer is killing over and over again."


Gibbs nodded his agreement of Kate's profiling of the victims as he stared at Tony's eager face. "Go on Tony." He ordered quietly sensing where DiNozzo was going


"We know that all the victims were similar in appearance. In fact Boss, I think I could fit the killers' victims profile. All I need is a falsified background and I would be perfect as bait!" Tony rushed on, "I can go undercover and draw her out. Maybe get her confident enough to lead me back to who ever is in on this with her."


Gibbs nodded slowly, "You know if you go under that I would want to keep you under tight surveillance, don't you Tony? These people are dangerous. We don't know how she gets her victims to go with her or how many other people are involved in this. But we do know that this group is deadly! All the victims were overdosed and than beaten to death Tony, over a few hours according to Ducky."


Tony nodded, "I know Boss but it could be the only way to draw them out."


Standing up, Gibbs walked around to the front of his desk so he stood only inches away from the younger agent. "Okay Tony, I want you completely wired. I don't want any surprises, Abby will fit you with both audio and video surveillance."" He turned and faced Kate, "I want you and McGee to set up the truck."


"On it, Boss. " Kate replied as she stood and hurried from the bullpit with McGee on her heels.


Leading Tony onto the elevator, Gibbs was silent as they began the decent to the lab. Reaching in front of his agent, Gibbs hit the emergency button halting the elevators decent and turned towards the surprised man standing beside him. "I want you to be careful out there DiNozzo. I haven't lost anyone undercover yet and I am not going to let you ruin my record."


Tony grinned cockily, "Now Boss, do you think I would deliberately do something like that!"


Gibbs lifted his head and slapped Tony across the back of the head, "Just make sure you don't, DiNozzo and that's an order! I want you to be careful out there Tony."


"Ouch!" Tony squeaked as he rubbed his head, "Understood, Boss!"


Gibbs hit the button and got the elevator moving again.


NCIS NCIS NCIS


Abby grinned and turned to watch the two agents enter the lab. Picking up the small transmitter and the even smaller video camera, she stood up and quickly approached the younger agent, her fingers quickly unbuttoning his shirt as she spoke. "These are the most up to date surveillance equipment we have, Gibbs. We will be able to see and hear everything Tony sees or hears."


Tony grinned widely, "Everything, Abby?" he asked mischievously. The short sharp smack to the back of his head made him yelp and he rubbed the sore spot silently as he watched his boss nod.


"Any results back on the drug screens, Ab?" Gibbs asked as Abby finished adjusting the button camera and began to smooth Tony's shirt to ensure that the transmitter now attached to his chest was not noticeable.


"I found all three victims had large amounts of Phencyclidine, better known on the street as…"


"Angel Dust!" Tony finished for her, his eyes wide with horror and disgust, "Nasty stuff causes vivid hallucinations and can cause the user to become violent and dangerous both to himself and others." He gave an small involuntary shiver as memories of times when he had been up against perps affected by the drug during his time as a police officer resurfaced in his minds.


Abby nodded her agreement as she continued her report, "I also found minute traces of Rohypnol in two of the samples. Maybe that's how she gets the victims to go with her."


"So she possibly drugs her victims when she meets them and than lures them back to where ever she holds them." He murmured, "After she gets them back she drugs them with Angel dust and than tortures them."


"But why?" Abby asked, sitting back onto her stool, flicking the two black ponytails over her shoulder as she watched Gibbs slowly take a sip from the coffee cup he held.


"She has something against Marines!" Tony answered the obvious, "That's why we need me to get near her. Try and find out who she is and what makes her tick."


Gibbs glanced towards him, "Just remember Tony, this woman is dangerous and probably has accomplices. We will be sticking to you like glue. You're not to take any chances out there!"


"Now Boss, you know me better than that!"


"That's why I am telling you, Dinozzo!" Gibbs growled, "Now go and see if McGee has the van gassed up. We will meet you at the van in five minutes."


"On it Boss." Tony answered as he turned and left the lab.


Gibbs watched the younger agent leave and turned back to the Goth, "This surveillance equipment is the best?' He asked.


Abby nodded.


"Good cause I don't want to lose Tony for a minute!" Gibbs murmured as both he and Abby headed to the door.


NCIS NCIS NCIS


The small nightclub was filled to capacity and the music was loud enough to vibrate not only through the eardrums of the customers but also through the walls and floor of the old building.


Kate mumbled a small curse as the drink of the man who was attempting to shove his way past her in the crowded nightclub splashed onto the front of her blouse. She slapped away his hands as they began to clumsily wipe at the icy liquid that was now seeping through the material and onto her skin. She quickly pulled the wet material away from her own small transmitter, fearing it malfunctioning should it get wet. "Tony has just been approached by a young blonde woman. Could be our target." She whispered as she wiped at the stain.


"Keep him in your sight, Kate. If she is the one, we still don't know how she lures her victims out or if she has accomplices." Gibbs voice echoed softly into the small receiver in her ear.


"Will do, Boss!" Kate murmured as she attempted to move closer to where Tony now laughed and chatted to the young woman at the bar, pushing her way through the almost solid wall of people either talking or swaying in time to the loud music.


Tony smiled warmly as the young woman sat down on the barstool beside him and casually picked up his drink, taking a small sip before speaking loudly in his ear in an attempt to be heard over the noise. "I needed that. It's hot in here. My name is Kiki. I haven't seen you before. This your first time here?"


Tony nodded, "Yeah," He shouted back, his voice almost drowned out by the music and chatter, "I just got back from deployment a few days ago. Thought I would hit a few of the nightclubs to unwind. You come here often?"


The young woman smiled, "Only when I'm looking for a good time. You said you just got back from tour. Iraq?"


"Baghdad. Did a six-month deployment. Just glad I'm back. It was rough." Tony replied allowing his voice to drop a little as he began to stare at the bottles of alcohol lining the wall behind the bar before slowly shaking his head as if to shake a bad memory away and turned back to the woman sitting beside him, smiling warmly. "You said you were looking for a good time?"


Kiki smiled seductively, "A real good time!" she whispered as he allowed her fingers to run up and down lightly on Tony's arm, "Even a better time if you're a marine, I have a thing for marines."


Tony's grin grew wider as he leaned closer allowing the small video camera camouflaged as a button to zoom in on the woman's face. "This is your lucky day. I'm a marine lieutenant."


"Mmm… Well this is my lucky day," Kiki grinned as she snuggled closer and waved over the bartender ordering drinks for both Tony and herself.


NCIS NCIS NCIS


Gibbs lent closer to the video screen and studied the image of the woman that Tony was flirting with. "Can you clear up the distortion a little, Abs?"


"Lighting in there is dim, Gibbs!" Abby frowned as her fingers flittered rapidly over the keyboard of the laptop sharpening the image on the portable screen within the surveillance van. Abby stared at the image of the beautiful blonde woman that now flickered across the screen, her face moving in and out of focus as she seemed to press herself closer to DiNozzo. "Is that our hinky lady?"


Gibbs studied the image closely as he distractedly answered, "I would say that that's her. She matches the witness descriptions." Abby watched as Gibbs continued to stare at the screen, the tenseness of the Gunny's muscles belied the outward calm he displayed as he watched and listened as the main suspect in the drugging and torture deaths of three marines now flirted openly with his own undercover agent.


Kate rolled her eyes as she listened to Tony trying to flirt with the suspect. "His lines are as stale as day old bread" She murmured to herself as she edged closer, trying to maintain her line of sight of the couple as more people seemed to squeeze into the already overcrowded bar.


Tony's voice over the small mic seemed to be becoming more indistinct and slurred but Kate was unsure if it was Tony or the mic that crackled in her ear.


Something was wrong. Kate watched as Tony began to sway slightly on the stool. "Gibbs, I think she is making her move!" Kate whispered desperately into her mic as Kiki's voice echoed in her ear.


Tony blinked as he placed the glass back down on the bar and turned back towards Kiki. He suddenly felt too warm and the blaring music seemed to be traveling through his body, making it hard to think.


"Are you okay?" Kiki's voice seemed to fade in and out and Tony stared at her trying to make sense of her question. "It's too hot in here and you don't look to well. Maybe we should go outside for some fresh air." She suggested, gently grabbing Tony's arm and leading him towards the back of the bar.


"Boss, they're headed out the back door. I think she has slipped something to Tony!" Kate's anxious voice sent chills up Abby's spine as she watched the small screen showing Tony's unsteady exit from the bar.


"McGee, they are headed your way!" The tension in Gibbs' voice left no doubt he expected McGee to be on full alert when Tony and the suspect emerged from the nightclub.


"I'm trying to follow them," Kate's voice echoed in the small confines of the van, "But I'm having trouble, too many damn people! I've lost sight of them!"


"Gibbs, I've lost visual feed and audio!" Abby stated quietly.


"Damn!" Gibbs cursed, "McGee you got them!"


Tim McGee shifted nervously, his eyes never leaving the back entrance, "They have come out yet, Boss." He murmured.


Kate's voice cut across the conversation, "They must have McGee! I have reached the back entrance! They're not here and there is no other way out or anywhere else they could be!"