- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
An undercover case goes drastically wrong. Can they get Tony out before it is too late
Gibbs tiredly rubbed his eyes and flicked to another window on the computer, bringing up all the information collected on the case. Details and facts collected from three different crime scenes. Details and cold facts that showed a pattern of kidnapping, drugging and torture that resulted in the deaths of three young marines. Details that warned that the killer's violent behavior were escalating. His forth victim was certainly enduring both the horrific emotional and physical pain, which would ultimately result in his death if they did not find him fast. The fact that the fourth victim was one of his own team, sent in by himself, only added to Gibbs' anxiety and fear.


Gibbs hit the computer key hard enough to cause the keyboard to jump as he muttered a curse at it and the world in general. He studied the pictures of the bloodied and beaten figure on the screen searching for some clue, something they missed that might prove to be the clue they needed to get the young agent back. Gibbs' fist hit the table as a short video flickered across his screen showing Tony being injected with a syringe full of some unidentified drug. He knew the pictures were a deliberate attempt to inflict pain upon the team, that Tony's ordeal would be made even worse since the murderer had realized that he was an NCIS agent sent undercover to lure them out.


He sighed angrily at himself. ‘How did the case suddenly go so drastically wrong? They had DiNozzo under full surveillance, just when did they lose him?'


Picking up the small transceiver that DiNozzo had been wearing, Gibbs slowly turned it over in his hand, studying it as his thoughts wandered back to a few short hours ago before the case went so wrong. The ringing of his cell phone interrupted his thoughts. A small tremor of fear coursed through his body as he snatched up the small phone and he released the breath that he was unknowing holding as Abby's name flashed across the caller I.D.. "What have you got for me Abby?" He snapped into the phone.

"Now Gibbs, is that anyway to answer a phone?" Abby's normally excited voice sounded more manic than usually.


"Abby!" Gibbs growled impatiently, catching out of the corner of his eye the quick glances that both Kate and McGee threw his way at the tone of his voice. Choosing to ignore them, he drew a deep breath and lowered his voice, "What have you got?"


"Got the results of the blood found at the scene, it's Tony's! Also managed to get a partial print from the note. Running it through the computer now should have a match soon…"


"We'll be right down!" Gibbs cut her off, hanging up before the Goth forensic expert could say another word. He stood up and moved quickly around his desk, "Abby might have a print for us!" He announced to the two agents as he hurried towards the lift, both Kate and McGee close behind.


NCISNCISNCIS


Glancing away from the computer screen, Abby grinned as the three agents entered the lab. "We have a hit!" She announced triumphantly sweeping her hand in a majestic sweep towards the screen. She tapped a key on the keyboard and the screen divided into two windows, the first window continued to flicker fingerprints across it at an incredible rate while the second window showed the face of a man, his details printed across the bottom of the window.


"Our partial print matches an ex-navy seaman, Petty Officer Third Class Paul Harding, stationed at San Diego in '98, served four years in Leavenworth. He received a Dishonorable Discharge after his release from Leavenworth in 2002. The navy lost track of him after discharge." Abby informed them as she nodded towards the second window on the screen. I managed to find a second latent, small enough to be our lady friend. Running it through now. No hits so far!"


"Well done Abs!" Gibbs said with a small grin before turning to the other agents, "McGee, I want a full background check on Harding! I want to know where he is and who he hangs around with, The works!"


McGee jumped, "On it Boss!" He answered before he turned and raced out of the small lab.


Gibbs turned to Kate, "I want a full profile work-up on this character. His personality, what he is capable of and what he might do to Dinozzo. I also want you to go through everything the case has and match his profile with what we have on the killers so far. I want to make sure that these cases are linked and not a revenge case against the military that is mimicking the investigation!"


Nodding her acknowledgement of her orders, Kate turned and left the room, murmuring a quick "Hello" as she brushed past him as he entered.


"Ah Jethro, I'm glad you are here." Ducky said quietly as he reached the younger man's side. "I wanted to speak to you about the effects of the drugs that Abigail found in the syringe. Also about the injuries that I have been trying to ascertain by the video and photos left that young Anthony appears to have received through his captivity!"


Abby looked up at the elderly M.E.. "I haven't had time to tell Gibbs all the results yet Ducky." She turned to Gibbs who was waiting expectantly for the rest of her report and began. "The blood found on the floor and on the ropes were the same blood type of Tony's, we also found two other bloodstains that types were consistent with our other vics' blood types. By the blood splutter in the room, it appears that Tony was probably tied to the chair as he was beaten the photos back up my theory. Tony's blood was also found in the discarded needle that was found at the scene. This would have happened when he was injected with the blood.


Trace elements in the syringe show the drug is a derivative of LSD. Has the same compounds but in slightly altered percentages. Also trace amounts of Heroin was found on pieces of paper and in a discarded straw on the table. My guess Gibbs is one of the kidnappers is a user and is using now!"


Gibbs grimaced at the news. It was bad enough that these perps were into torture and drugging their victims but to be using themselves added a dimension that took the whole kidnapping into a new dangerous level. A drug addict was unpredictable at anytime but one with a victim could become deadly at the least provocation. "Tony, please don't do anything to antagonize these people." He whispered silently to the heavens.


"We know young Anthony has been injected with this drug, Jethro and from what I know about this particular compound the effects are far from pleasant. Anthony will be experiencing vivid hallucinations. He will be unable to extinguish fantasy from reality. The drug tends to remain in the person's system for a period of twelve hours and does build up in the fatty tissues, so the tolerance for each dose builds with each dose leading extremely quickly to an overdose scenario." Ducky informed the lead agent clinically. "Also with the injuries that Anthony appears to have already received in his rough treatment, his weakened state has left him far more vulnerable to the chance of overdose! We need to find him quickly!"


Gibbs turned away from the M.E. and stared at the flickering screen, not willing for either Ducky or Abby to see the fear in his eyes, he cleared his throat and quietly asked, "You said you were able to ascertain some of Tony'' injuries, Ducky?"


Ducky nodded, "I'm sorry Jethro but these are just educated guesses, I wont be able to confirm the injuries or the severity of them until we have Anthony back with us. From the photos and the video it appears that Anthony probably has a moderate concussion, broken ribs and a possible broken left arm." He moved the spare photos that Abby had been examining closer to the NCIS agent. "As you can see the top of Anthony's left arm appears to be bent at an unnatural angle, I have little doubt that it has sustained a break. Also there are marks across Anthony's chest that are consistent with some type of electrical burns - maybe a stun gun.
Young Anthony is definitely showing signs of being systematically tortured and with the combination of the drugs being forced into his system, I doubt the poor boy will be able to survive this treatment for very long!"


Gibbs turned and stared at both Ducky and Abby. The shocked and frightened look on the Goth's face and the serious and concerned fatherly look on the M.E.'s face mirrored his own internal emotions. He patted Ducky on the shoulder and gave Abby's shoulder a light squeeze. "We'll get Tony out before anything happens!" He promised, uncertain if the words were to comfort the two others in the room or himself. Collecting himself, he straightened up and headed towards the door, "Abby, I want to know as soon as you get a hit on the second latent!" He commanded, "And Ducky, I want to know everything about the effects of the drug they are using on Tony!"


Watching Gibbs stride from the room, Abby turned to Ducky, "Do you think we will find Tony in time?" She asked, her usual confidence flagging under the lights of the facts.


Ducky smiled, "Of course we will, my Dear." He reassured her, "Jethro has never lost an agent under his command and I doubt he will let young Anthony mar his record now!"