- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
An undercover operation goes drastically wrong. Can they get Tony out before it is too late?
In Too Deep Ch 9

Kate gasped and grabbed the dash as the car slewed wildly around the corner. The sounds of Tony's terrified gasp and the sounds of a brief struggle echoed through the hands free car phone followed by the chilling command to get the powder and blow it into Tony's nose. Gibbs' knuckles whitened as he gripped the steering wheel tighter at the horrifying sounds of the violent act of forcing Tony to inhale the unknown powder followed. She cast a worried look at both Ducky and McGee who were both holding on for dear life in the back, as there was a moment of silence before they heard Harding ask if someone was sure the dust was good.

An indistinguishable reply was lost as the tires on their car squealed around the corner as they neared the area that the GPS chip Tony's phone indicated Tony was being held. A surprised gasp and a strange thumping sound suddenly reverberated from the small speaker, followed by a shout.

"Gibbs, the phone is on the move!" Abby's voice broke over the connection. "Heading east on 22nd avenue. It looks like who ever has the phone is moving on foot. They have stopped about halfway down the block."

With a violent wrench of the steering wheel, Gibbs slid the car around the corner onto 22nd Avenue, barely missing the taxi that swerved out of his way. Kate, McGee and Ducky barely had time to brace themselves as the car lurched to a violent stop and Gibbs exited the car before it had stopped rocking. Drawing his gun, he quickly scanned the old abandoned building and deserted footpath, moving forward towards the middle of the block as the others joined him. "Ask Abby where the hell is the phone now!" He growled as he continued to move cautiously down the street, hugging the front of the old boarded up buildings as he moved.

"The phone is about middle of the block, Gibbs. Maybe inside of one of the buildings on the right side of the street." Abby's voice softly floated back to him.

"Oh my Lord!" Ducky's soft gasp of shock froze Gibbs in his tracks and he turned to look at the M.E. Ducky's attention was fixated at the roof of the building across from them and with a sickening feeling of dread Gibbs turned and looked up at what had caught the older man's attention.

"Oh no!" Kate whispered softly at the sight on the roof across from them.

"Tony?" The shocked name slipped from McGee's lips.

"DiNozzo!" Gibbs whispered as he stared up at the figure balancing on the roof's edge, arms out stretched, before he raced across the road, "Stay back! Stay back, Tony! We're coming for you!"

NCISNCISNCIS

Hearing the sounds of running footsteps in the stairwell beneath them, Harding and Kiki quickly opened the fire exit door and stepped into the deserted corridor. They held the door ajar as they watched the four figures run past obviously headed towards the roof to where the drugged NCIS agent had fled only minutes before.

"Paul?" Kiki whispered, frightened that the unexpected arrival of either the cops or NCIS agents so quickly after their toy had escaped.

Harding pushed her back from the doorway, "Shut up!" He growled also unsettled, "Lets just get out here!" He whispered forcefully as he grabbed her by the arm and began to hurry towards the internal stairs. "I don't want to be around when they reach that pig!"

"Kiki whimpered at the bone bruising grip Harding had on her arm but her fear allowed her to accept it as she was pulled along. "What if he tells them who we are?" She whispered, "What if he can identify us?"

"He ain't in any condition to identify himself little lone us. Man he is so far off his face all he will see is monsters!" Harding whispered as he dragged the woman along, "And who is gunna be sure what he did or did not see when he is straight!"


NCISNCISNCIS

The door to the roof was ajar when they reached it. With their guns drawn, Gibbs. Kate and McGee all cautiously stepped out onto the roof, their eyes automatically scanning the open space for any unseen dangers before they turned their attention to their colleague who still stood on the edge of the roof, staring out at the horizon, seemingly oblivious to their presence.

"Tony?" Gibbs spoke quietly as he stepped slowly towards the figure.

Tony jumped at the sound and quickly turned around, his eyes wide with wonderment as the figure slowly approached him. "I can fly!" He whispered, his eyes shining brightly with excitement, "I can soar like an eagle. Want to see?"

"DiNozzo, I want you to listen to me!" Gibbs said softly ignoring Tony's drugged revelation, "I want you to step down off the ledge and come towards me. Can you do that for me Tony?" He asked, his eyes never leaving the bruised and bloodied figure that swayed on the edge of the roof.

"Jethro, take it nice and slow with him. Let young Anthony come to you!" Not allowing himself to react to Ducky's softly whispered words, Gibbs continued to watch Tony. closely.


The young man smiled disarmingly and slowly stepped down. "Don't you want to see me fly?" He asked, a small frown creasing his forehead as he stepped towards Gibbs. "You know the monsters are down there. It's safer when you can fly. "He whispered in a conspiratory tone, "They cant reach you when you fly!" He advised the older agent as he took another step towards him.

Gibbs smiled and held his hand out to Tony, aware of both Ducky and McGee as each circled around behind the drugged agent, preparing to grab him if that was required. "It's okay Tony, I promise that you have no need to fly when you are with me. You're safe! We're here now!" He murmured as Tony stepped almost into arm's reach.

A strange emotion flickered across Tony's face and he suddenly tensed and pulled back. He growled angrily at Gibbs, "You don't want me safe! You want to do experiments on me!"

"Grab him, Jethro! Timothy!" Ducky yelled as he saw Tony's sudden mood change.

Tony's eyes darted wildly around and he growled in anger as the three men lunged at him. He turned swiftly and shoved McGee back towards the buildings edge., before swiftly swing around to face his other two attackers. Gibbs managed to grab him around the chest as Ducky tackled his legs and the three of them fell heavily to the bitumen covered roof as a desperate struggle commenced.

Tony fought like a wild man, kicking and punching in an attempt to break free, oblivious to his injuries as he struggled furiously against the men who held him. McGee recovered from the violent push just as Tony managed to kick free from Ducky. Gibbs shout for McGee to help echoed over Tony's yells and curses.

McGee grabbed Tony's legs, using his body weight in an attempt to hold them still as Ducky threw himself over Tony's chest and tried to keep a firm grip on his hands. Gibbs managed to grasp Tony's around the shoulders, pinning the now terrified and confused man to his chest, trying to whisper soft reassurances into Tony's ear as the young man fought hard to break free from the men he believed wanted to harm him.

The sound of an approaching siren drew near and Gibbs realized that Kate had called for an ambulance. He continued to concentrate on keeping Tony safe from harming himself or them in his drugged state. He knew the way they had Tony pinned that they were probably aggravating any injuries he had but he was also aware to release the young man could result in Tony deciding to try and fly, something that he would not survive if he tried to fly off this ten-story building.

"You're safe Tony. You're safe. We have you." He murmured again and again as he held the young agent tightly.

Tony's struggles suddenly stopped and he stared up into his boss' face. "I waited for you to come." He whispered, "Thought you were watching my…" The words trailed off into a soft gasp as Tony suddenly stiffened in their arms.

Gibbs stared down as Tony's eyes went wide with pain before they began to glaze. "Tony?"

Ducky's fingers quickly touched the side of Tony's neck before he placed his ear on the now motionless man's chest. He quickly straightened and thumped the middle of Tony's chest. "He's gone into cardiac arrest!" he announced urgently as he checked Tony's carotid pulse again and then started cardiac massage. "The drugs and the struggle were too much for his heart!"

Gibbs quickly hyper extended Tony's head back and began to rescue breathe for him. "Come on DiNozzo, You are Not allowed to die while you are one of my agents!" He muttered between each breath. "You got that DiNozzo!" He growled as he blew another breath.

He jumped in surprise as Tony gave a small gasp. and watched as Ducky again checked his pulse.

"We've got him back. His pulse is weak and irregular but at least it's there. Lets get him to the hospital!" Ducky ordered, overseeing Tony being placed on the stretcher and giving orders as the stretcher was quickly wheeled from the roof.

Gibbs rose to his feet and began to follow behind. "I want a full search of this building and the building where we picked up the GPS signal. Get the local boys in to help. I want anything and I mean anything that even looks slightly suspicious over in Abby's lab!" He called over his shoulder to the two NCIS agents watching. "When you have something for me, reach me at the hospital!"