- Text Size +
NYC FBI OFFICE

"I just got off the phone with Lin's CO, a Colonel Mark Weir," Gibbs said as he got up from the table. "He hasn't seen her in six months."

"He doesn't know anything that's going on?" Vivian asked incredulously.

"He was functioning as an admin command CO for Major Lin," Gibbs replied. "She gets sent out, she could be working for any of a dozen agencies. She wouldn't be reporting to him."

"Did he say anything else?"

"That if she ran, she would have a really good reason." Gibbs shook his head as he put on his jacket. "I'm going to go look at her apartment."

Jack and Vivian exchanged looks. Vivian said, "I'll take you."




WASHINGTON, DC

Tony led two skeptical FBI agents out of the parking lot the noisy bar-and-grill. "This" he held up his hands as if showing off the place "is the best restaurant in town." He grinned. "They have the hottest nacho and chips. All the ladies from that modeling agency down the street start coming in at 5." His grin grew wider.

"Your favorite watering hole just happens to be down the street from the local modeling agency?" Danny asked with amusement, one eyebrow raised.

Tony just smirked.

Martin and Danny exchanged looks, both trying desperately to suppress amused looks. They looked back at the NCIS agent, who grinned wider and raised his eyebrows. Then Martin said, "We're supposed to be flying back."

"We're going back," Tony insisted. "Just after we grab dinner. I'll call." He grinned and pulled out his phone and headed for a quiet corner.

The two FBI agents watched his retreating back and turned to each other. "You explain this one to Jack," they said in union, each pointing at the other.

A group came in, with a blonde looking over at them and pausing to give them a wink before she continued inside with the people she came with.

"Doghouse," Martin muttered.

Danny was chuckling. If he were going to get in trouble, at least he ought to have fun with it. "Hope it's a duplex," he commented with a smirk as he went inside. Martin soon followed.

Tony was standing in a corner, talking to a waitress. When he saw them come in, he motioned them over and pointed at a corner booth. As the two FBI agents neared, they heard him dialing up.




"Gibbs." Gibbs leaned his right elbow on the car's passenger side door.




"We IDed the body that was a few blocks from Lin's apartment as Jacob Wittenstein," Tony said over the noise. "The Bellagio is his - we found it in his apartment. We swept Lin's, but there wasn't anything really there except a round. Abby thinks it's from a Baretta, most likely the same one that killed Wittenstein."

Tony grinned as he and Martin watched a waitress approach Danny.

"We also went to Rosslyn to the dry cleaner's that Agent Johnson found," the NCIS agent continued. "They positively identified Wittenstein from the photo," Tony said. "They said he was the one who brought in the major's uniforms. Said they were his girlfriend's. We got them to pull up all the receipts from the past year and we're bringing them along."




"OK, where are you three?" Gibbs asked impatiently.

Vivian made a turn.



"We're uh, we're waiting for our jet ride. It's going to take a few hours, though."

Just then the jukebox started up, and loud pop number started up.



"Hey!" Gibbs pressed his phone closer to his ear. "What is that?"

Vivian was interested now, looking at the older agent periodically with an amused expression.



As a woman approached, smiling at Martin and holding out a tray with drinks to the three men.

Tony smiled a thanks at the waitress as he look one with an umbrella. "It's music, Gibbs," he replied as he lifted his drink to his lips. "Don't be so paranoid." He grinned as the two FBI agents looked at him. "You know we're professionals."




LIN'S NYC APARTMENT

Vivian and Gibbs headed up the stairs, when Gibbs suddenly held up a hand. "Did you hear that?" he whispered.

Vivian just shrugged but pulled her weapon anyhow.

The two of them slid up the stairs as quietly as possible, covering each other as they went up. When they got up to the apartment, Vivian slowly slid in the key and turned it as Gibbs kept his weapon aimed at the door.

Vivian kept her back to the wall and slowly, with her left hand, pushed the door in. It was empty.

The FBI agent went in first, scanning living room and giving the clear. Gibbs then headed for the kitchen, Vivian behind him. They'd barely gotten there when a voice said in a low tone, "Who are you?"

Gibbs whipped around, to find a man standing behind Vivian, a gun aimed at the base of her head. "Who are you?"

"I'm asking the questions here," the man replied, deathly calm. "Put down your weapons."

Gibbs and Vivian slowly lowered their weapons to the floor. "I'm Special Agent Johnson, FBI," the woman said slowly. "That's Special Agent Gibbs, NCIS."

Vivian felt the gun move away slightly, and the taut arm holding the weapon to her go slack. She suddenly turned quickly, pulling her body to the side as she knocked away the pistol behind her. "What's going on? Why are you here?"

The man just glared at them and went over to shut the door. "I could ask you the same."

Gibbs and Vivian watched him closely. He was a shade under six foot, with light brown hair. His eyes were sharp, but it was hard to tell what color they were in the shadows. It was enough, though, for both of them to recognize him from the surveillance photos. The three-piece suit wasn't there, but the face was his.

"We're searching for Major Kate Lin. Who are you?" Gibbs replied harshly.

"Need to know," the man replied shortly as he reholstered his Baretta.




NYC FBI OFFICE

"Where is everyone?" Danny asked as he and Martin came into the bullpen.

"Samantha and Cate are flying in now," Vivian replied, "I don't know where you guys left Agent DiNozzo, and Jack and Agent Gibbs are down in interrogation. What did you guys find?"

Martin and Danny slid into the chairs next to her. "Well, NCIS has a medical examiner who likes to talk to dead bodies and tell stories," Danny replied with a grin, "and they have a goth-dressing lab technician who knows what she is doing."

Vivian just raised an eyebrow.

"I've heard way more than I want to about a seaman apprentice who was found with 'Semper Fi' shaved in his body hair," Martin replied in such a tone that Vivian had to chuckle. "All before he was killed."

"So." Vivian leaned forward.

"We didn't talk to anyone, like Jack said. We did get her medical records, but that didn't tell us much besides the fact that she's got a weak stomach and is allergic to nuts."

Vivian gave them a look of exasperation, then slowly furrowed her brow. "She had peanut butter in her refrigerator."

"Jif?" Martin asked.

Vivian shrugged. "Yeah."

"Yeah," Martin said. "That made me wonder too. Wittenstein's apartment had a lot, though. At least he know it was him she was with."

"So where's he?"

"Dead. Killed not far from her apartment yesterday morning."

Vivian groaned. "I'm going to kick myself if this just turns out to be a lover's spat gone wrong."

"Both the surveillance tapes of the entrances into her New York apartment and her DC apartment were looped, and there's no other indication anyone was in there," Danny supplied.

"Tony had Abby - that's his goth-dressing lab technician - run ballistics on the bullet," Martin continued. "It's from a Baretta, 21 she's guessing. Lin carries a - "

"Colt 1911," Vivian finished.

"Yup," Martin replied. "But. There was a Baretta round found in Lin's apartment. Same make, Abby guesses."

"Baretta 21, huh," Vivian said, a slow smile crossing her face. "Let me see that."




"Little uncomfortable, Mr. Webb?" Jack asked, crossing his arms.

The CIA agent just rolled his eyes as he sat back in his seat. Jack had to admit, he was beginning to get a little frustrated. The man had just been one bundle of sarcastic comments after another; he would have tolerated it if he had been of any help, but after just half an hour, all they had from him was a name. The only reason they even knew he was CIA was because they'd looked in his file and done some calls.

Jack could tell his NCIS counterpart was getting just as frustrated, although all three men continued to remain as calm and unruffled as if they were playing poker.

"I'm usually the one doing the questioning." Clayton Webb shrugged nonchalantly.

"Do you know this man?" Jack pushed a photo of Wittenstein in front of Webb.

"Maybe."

"You should," Gibbs replied calmly, staring the other man down. "Your bullet was found in his back."

Webb rolled his eyes. "You didn't need to investigate that. I would have told you. I shot Wittenstein."

"Why?"

"Need to know."

Jack could see Gibbs taking a mental slow breath, and he knew he himself was doing the same. Both men were about to throttle the smart-alecky, well-dressed man.

"Wittenstein and Lin were dating," Jack said pointedly. "Did you know that?"

"Give Kate some credit," Webb replied sarcastically. "She's not stupid enough to get involved with Wittenstein."

"Found his cologne mixed into her bedsheets, and peanut butter in the fridge although she's allergic to nuts. He had keys to both her New York and DC apartments."

Webb shrugged. "She have any to his?"

"No," Gibbs replied, still watching the inscrutable man carefully. "But most women prefer their own beds."

Webb just rolled his eyes.

"How well do you know the major?" Gibbs asked suspiciously.

"Better than you."

"Apparently," Jack replied, watching the man steadily as he crossed his arms. "You called her 'Kate.'"

"That's her name."

"Sounds kind of cozy to me," Jack replied. If this turned out just to be a jealous lover's spat, he really was going to shoot something.




"What've we got on Wittenstein?" Vivian asked.

"Jacob Wittenstein, age 37," Danny replied. "Graduated Yale fifteen years ago, then joined the NSA...there's one year unaccounted for about halfway through that."

"That's it?"

"That's it."

"What about Webb and Stockwell?"

"Clayton Webb...age 42," Tony read. "Harvard graduate, 1984 National Cryptographic school. NSA for a year, State Department after that. There are a few years that are 'unaccounted for' between the time he graduated from the cryptographic school and when he joined the NSA in 1990."

"Webb and Wittenstein could've crossed then," Vivian murmured. "What about Stockwell?"

"Stockwell...age 51," Martin replied. "Amherst graduate, Harvard graduate school, lots of post-grad linguistic work here and there. He's been with the State Department ever since graduation."

"That was unhelpful."

"Um. But Tony and I cross-checked," Martin replied, holding up a small chart. "Wittenstein is Stockwell's nephew." He paused to think about it for a moment. "Kind of. Half-nephew? Sort of?"

"Half-nephew?" Vivian asked, a slight tone of incredulity in it.

"Stockwell had a sister who married a guy. She divorced him. Husband #1 remarried, and that second marriage produced Wittenstein."

"They keep in contact?"

Tony grinned.




"She wasn't seeing Wittenstein," Webb groaned, in a tone that obviously said he couldn't believe he had to suffer these idiots.

"Why? Wittenstein seeing the major socially is such a bad idea?" Gibbs was a little sarcastic. "Or...just to you?"

Webb rolled his eyes. "Lin and Wittenstein don't get along," he replied. "The last person she'd give extra keys to is him. He copied them. On any training bit she would do, she'd most likely leave her keys in her locker. To gain access to her things, it would have to be somebody pretty high up on that base."

"You're saying somebody at the station sold her out? Copied the keys and gave 'em to Weinstein?"

"Took awhile there, Sherlock," Webb replied sarcastically.

"And how do we know we can trust you?" Jack retorted. "How do we know you didn't do it?"

Webb just smirked. "You don't."




"Hey, look who's back," Martin greeted as the two women came into the bullpen. "How were all the chickens and pigs?" He flashed a teasing grin at them.

Samantha made a playful face at him, which made him grin wider.

"Hey," Vivian greeted them as she came into the bullpen. "How'd it go?"

"Pretty good," Samantha replied. "It appears our major has a soft side."

"Either that, or she's got multiple personalities," Tony commented.

"What happened here?" Cate asked.

"We found the guy who was snooping around her apartment," Martin replied.

"No way!" Both Cate and Samantha were suddenly interested.

"He's dead. And Viv and Gibbs caught a live one. Jack and Gibbs are downstairs with him right now, giving him hell." Vivian handed Samantha a file and then said to the both of them, "We're going to need all of Clayton Webb's phone calls and cell phone calls from the past year, at least."




"What were you doing in the Major's apartment?"

"Need to know."

Gibbs leaned over to stare. "I need to know."

"When was the last time Lin talked to you?" Jack asked.

"Two days ago."

"Webb," Webb answered his ringing cell.

"It's me."

"Kate?"

"No, the Easter Bunny. Yes, it's me." There was a little static. "Are the soft-shell crabs out yet?"

"Too early, Kate."

"Hm. So?"

Webb chuckled. "Why don't you try the carp?"

She laughed. "Carp for lunch? It's always been the crabs."

"We'll try something more familiar for you this time. You do this assignment right, and I'll make it a dinner, on me."

"Yeah." There was a long silence, and then: "I don't think Stockwell likes me."

"We're not in this for a popularity contest."

"You know what I mean."

"Kate, I can't help that."

For awhile there was no sound on the other end, and then she commented, "I hate New York. Are the cherry blossoms out yet?"

Webb sighed. "No, not yet. I'll let you know."





Samantha clicked off the media player on her computer and turned around. "That's it."

"So he was telling the truth about the phone conversation," Jack muttered. "Cherry blossoms," he groaned.

"What about those surveillance tape photos?" Gibbs asked.

"That one photo was Webb," Vivian replied. "But, it was several days before Lin's disappearance, right around the time Stockwell said he'd seen them. He hasn't been back since."

"Webb won't say anything else?" Cate asked.

Jack shook his head. "And he has an alibi. He's been in Washington, and if he hasn't been visiting his mother or his girlfriend, he's been at work."

Martin, who had been silent until now, suddenly sat up. "Cherry blossoms. There's a...there's a...the tree by her apartment complex in Washington," he said, suddenly remembering. "When Lin looks out the window in the spring, she most likely can see it."

There were a few shrugs.

"She's asking him to check her apartment," Jack replied slowly, catching on to his junior agent's train of thought. "She wanted him to check her Washington apartment."

"He goes, and he finds Jacob Wittenstein snooping, so he kills him later, away from the apartment, so as not to arouse suspicion about her," Martin finished.

"What was Wittenstein's latest assignment?"

"He was assigned to ol' Jimmy Stockwell," Tony replied, raising an eyebrow. "We really oughta ask our little spook friend what else he knows."

"We'll do that," Jack replied. "Now - "

"Cate, you're with me," Gibbs interrupted, getting out his chair and grabbing his coat. "Tony, keys."

Tony tossed them over his head at his boss.

"Where do you think you're going?" Jack crossed his arms.

"Stockwell's," Gibbs replied. "You coming, Cate?" The two disappeared around the corner.

Jack was about to protest when Tony cut in. "Um, Agent Malone." Five faces turned to him. "I think...Gibbs has...." Seeing the faces staring at him, even with the tiniest bit of hostility, Tony swallowed. "Gibbs better give me hazardous duty pay for this," he mumbled.

"What?" Jack asked expectantly.

"Gibbs...has dealt with CIA before. He's got clearance that'll let him see the dead aliens in Area 51," Tony replied, a hint of pride and admiration in his voice.

"'Cause he killed them?" Danny muttered.

"Through NCIS we can access...a...lot on the CIA databases," Tony replied, "because a lot of the sailors and Marines are involved in classified stuff. They may have been deliberately blocking you, or just blocking you because...FBI...is...domestic." He trailed off when he saw the looks on their faces. "Or maybe not."




NAVAL STATION

Stockwell came into the room, just in time to see Cate drop a huge fat folder into a box. "What are you people doing?" he exclaimed.

"Seizing your files," Gibbs replied, stating the obvious.

"It's part of our little investigation into Major Lin's disappearance." Cate smiled sweetly at him, then continued working.

"What, you think I did it?" The two agents ignored him and kept working. "Well, you're wrong."

Gibbs just chuckled and put on a mock tone of disappointment. "I try so hard not to be wrong, don't I, Cate?"

"You're very conscientious in that regard, Gibbs," Cate nodded seriously. *whoomp* and another folder fell into the box.

"Look," Stockwell growled. "She and I didn't get along. But she was good. And while I have my suspicions, I don't think she's rogue yet. Besides, what does all this have to do with me?"

Gibbs and Cate exchanged looks. Cate shrugged. "Methinks he doth protest too much." Gibbs just chuckled as they got back to work.

Stockwell groaned. "I don't know where she is, or how this happened."

"Yeah," Gibbs replied, getting into his face. "I bet that's why you sent one of your lackeys to her apartment in Washington. Armed. How did you know she would go back there?" he asked, his voice reaching a dangerous, low tone.

"Are you insinuating I tried to kill her?" Stockwell exclaimed, his ire rising.

Gibbs didn't back off, maintaining his toe-to-toe contact with him. "Oh, I try so hard not to insinuate, don't I, Cate?"

"You rarely insinuate, Gibbs," Cate replied from where she was peeking into the filing cabinet. She banged the door shut and moved on to the next row.

Stockwell sighed and sat down in one of the chairs in his office. "Look, I don't want this to get out past these walls, OK?"

Gibbs only looked at him.




NYC FBI OFFICE

Four junior agents looked up nervously as a large cart was wheeled in. "What's this?" Danny asked.

"Agent Todd just called, said they were coming with Stockwell's latest files and asked if we coulddn't get up everything. So I decided to poke around Stockwell's finances," Vivian replied with a meaningful look.

The four agents promptly sat up in interest.

"It seems our Mr. Stockwell is quite a financial genius," Vivian replied as she put a large box down in front of Martin. "Those are his bank statements" she plunked down another box in front of Danny "That's his stocks and mutual funds, plus CDs, the whole thing." She slid into a nearby seat.

"What're we looking for?" Samantha asked.

"Motive," Vivian replied as she logged onto her computer.




NAVAL STATION

"Lin...was...a problem. Uncooperative. Doesn't work well with others. For a female she's very much a loner."

Cate crossed her arms. "What's THAT supposed to mean?"

"I'm just saying that women...tend to be...a little more social, that's all. Lin wasn't. Most of the guys I had as backup kept asking to be reassigned. Then I finally asked one of them why, and he said that...Lin...was involved with some stuff that...wasn't...." He sighed. "On the up and up."

"How so?"

"She'd had contact with a few agents who were demoted for leaking information," Stockwell replied. "A lot of contact. Her last few cases were with, let's see, Carrie Simpkins, Jack Canton, and Freddy Rodriguez."

"So?"

"They all were turncoats," Stockwell replied. "That's 'so'."

Cate's eyes slowly drifted from Stockwell's face to Gibbs, then back. By all accounts, he was telling the truth...or he was a good liar.

Gibbs nodded and stood up. "You should've told us that earlier, Stockwell," he said heavily.

"Is there anything else?" Stockwell asked.

"Eh," Gibbs shrugged as he moved away. He held out a clipboard with a sheet on top. "Sign this."

"What's that for?"

"It's a receipt for you files. All of 'em."

"I...already told you everything."

Gibbs shrugged. "Yeah. Yeah, you did."

"I'm calling my legal cousel," Stockwell stormed.

"Would that your CIA counsel would insinuate plenty."

Stockwell was red-faced and infuriated as he stomped out.

"He looked like he was telling the truth," Cate murmured.

"I'm not buying it," Gibbs muttered.

"You never buy anything, Gibbs," Cate replied. She carried a box over and set it on the cart. They watched Stockwell heading down the hall. "Do people react that way because we're NCIS, or do you just have that effect on them?"

Gibbs smiled a little. "I'd like to think it's me."




Tony's cell phone rang, and he picked it up. "Hello."

"I've got three names for Malone," Gibbs' voice crackled over the line. "Is he around? I can't reach him."

"Uh, he's talking to Webb," Tony replied, sitting up. "Agent Johnson is down there, too."

Samantha, Danny, and Martin looked up.

"Cate and I are bringing in all of Stockwell's records. He was there, and he said stuff about Lin working with three CIA turncoats. Carrie Simpkins, Jack Canton, and Freddy Rodriguez."

Tony scribbled as fast as he could as he headed out so he wouldn't be heard. "Carrie...Simp...kins...Jack...Cant - Jack Canton?"

"YES, DiNozzo."

Tony was a little miffed at Gibbs' impatient tone. "And the last one?"

"Freddy Rodriguez."

"OK."

"Run a background check on all of them, and get those names to whomever is questioning Webb," Gibbs' voice continued, then paused.

Tony held his hand over the mouthpiece of his phone and pushed the list across to the FBI agents. "Gibbs got three names he wants checked out." He handed them the list as he quickly copied another one. "This one's for Agent Malone."

Danny nodded and took the slip of paper and hurried out.

"You guys have anything?" Gibbs asked.

"Stockwell is really doing what his name says - he appears to have put a lot of money into the stock market. Within the last year, he had a huge amount of money. No idea where it's from, we're still looking."

"I need those names checked."

"Yeah, yeah. Ugh, Danny and Samantha'll do the names, Martin and I'll keep checking on Stockwell's finances."




Jack pushed the list across the table to the man. "Do you know these three names?"

Webb shrugged. "If I do?"

Jack had had it. He leaned forward. "Mr. Webb, it would behoove you to cooperate if you want to find your agent."

"If you want to find Kate," Webb replied, "you let me go. I've got contacts you Fibbies can only drool over."

"These are three CIA turncoats, Mr. Webb. We have reason to believe that your Major Lin is #4."

Webb just rolled his eyes.

"You know about this," Jack said, his voice rising.

"I...Stockwell...I had suspicions," Webb finally admitted.

"SUSPICIONS? And you didn't find it necessary to say anything?" Jack's voice rose.

"This is a CIA affair. I don't need the FBI or NCIS playing internal affairs for my agency," Webb growled.

"Well, a MISSING MARINE suddenly makes it both of our affairs," Jack barked. "Where would she go? She doesn't have the money yet."

"I don't know." Webb shrugged impatiently.




"There's no reason to think that Kate Lin is the one who's selling out," Samantha argued.

"There's no reason not to think that," Danny retorted. "Look at this. She's been working with the 'who's who' list of Benedict Arnolds. Simpkins and defunct DSD, Rodriguez and guerillas."

Tony strode in and dropped a folder onto the table with a huge grin as he slipped into his chair, grinning at Samantha. "You get the big bonus today."

"What's in there?" Danny asked puzzledly, looking up.

Martin had taken the file and was looking through it. "Samantha found the phone call from Stockwell to Wittenstein that asked him to 'do the job' on Lin. Nice."

"So, now the question is whether or not Stockwell sent Wittenstein as a legit sweeper to get rid of a rogue agent," Tony said, "or as an assassin to get rid of a legit agent." Danny opened his mouth to comment again, but Samantha glared at him.

"Well, we know Webb killed Wittenstein. So either Mr. Webb is either totally clueless about what's going on and believes whatever Lin tells him - and shoots Wittenstein. Or he's protecting a legit agent - and shoots Wittenstein."

"Or...Wittenstein crosses over to Lin's side," Danny insisted, "and goes rogue, so Webb kills him. And he's out to sweep Lin, too."

"So." Tony leaned forward. "Who're we up to now?"

"Jack Canton," Danny replied. "Although, I can't find what he did. CIA records aren't clear."

Tony sighed, his happy mood dimming. "He was supposed to deliver $2 mil for the return of two Marines. Instead, he decided to send back two sealed coffins and keep the money."

The heads turned to him. "How do you know?" Martin asked, looking up from the spot where he and Tony were still going over Stockwell's financial records. He groaned mentally. These finances were so boring...ooh, why hadn't he and Tony taken the rogue agents?

"Because Cate and I shot him," he replied. At the surprised looks, Tony finally explained. "His story was that he paid the $2 mil to the guys holding the Marines hostage. Instead, he kept the $2 mil and hoped they'd end up dead. Unfortunately for him, one of them escaped," Tony continued, a serious expression on his face. "He called home the day of his funeral. Something was fishy, so we dug up his coffin and popped it open."

"And it was empty."

"Nope. He was inside."

"What, he was calling from the grave?" Danny asked incredulously.

"The Marine was inside the coffin," Tony said again. "Canton found out we were on the case, found the Marine, and killed him."

"Well, autopsy would show how long he'd be dead, and if he were alive during the funeral," Martin replied. "They could nail him with that."

Tony sat back in his chair, interlocking his fingers and putting them behind his head. "Not if the body was embalmed alive."

"Eww!" Samantha gasped, and the two others looked just as sickened.

"Time of death, like you said," Tony replied, indicating Martin. "Can't have two day old bodies. The embalming hides it. We wouldn't have known except they used newspaper to plug the embalming spot, and the date on the newspaper was after the funeral."

"This," Danny said, looking at his two colleagues but shaking a finger at Tony, "is why I do Missing Persons. That...that's sick."

Samantha shuddered. "Well, that explains Canton. That'd also explain why his record just...ends. Not much explanation." She nodded at Danny. "What've we got on Webb?"

"Well, I can bet he's most likely not the turncoat," Danny muttered. "Webb was demoted over a year ago for giving the Navy and Marine JAG office classified information about the victims of the Angelshark sub. He then got sent out to Paramaribo."

"Where's THAT?" Tony asked.

"Surinam. Two hundred miles from Devil's Island," Martin supplied.

Tony winced. "Ouch. His boss must've been pissed."

"Ouch indeed," Samantha muttered.

"Well, it could have been worse, it could have been Canada or Australia," Martin chuckled.

"The time that Webb spent with the piranhas was the time that the CIA began to have problems with some of the agents reneging," Danny continued. "Not that they never have that problem, but there was rot somewhere in the agency, and it was trickling down. Webb was most likely a victim of it, which is why after...a pretty much successful assignment in Paraguay that got him nearly tortured to death, he came back here to his original position...as Deputy Director of Operations, Counter-Intelligence Center."

"Short on help?"

"Skilled and loyal help, I'm guessing," Samantha replied. "Webb doesn't seem to have done anything badly or wrong, he just...didn't toe the CIA line."

Tony nodded.

"So, why does the Deputy Director make a trip to New York just to look for some...Marine who isn't even regularly assigned to his agency?" Samantha asked.

"She's rogue," Danny replied, as if it were obvious.
Chapter End Notes:
"Nine Lives, Part II" is "NCIS" only. posted to FF.net 3/21-4/2/04