- Text Size +
Gibbs sat in the booth staring at his drink. "Penny for them", came the soft voice.

Gibbs smiled and looked up at Jenny. "That is about all they are worth".

"What's wrong Jethro?"

"Do you ever think we were wrong to hook back up again Jen?" Gibbs asked staring into the twinkling eyes of the woman he once truly loved.

"No I don't. I think we will make it this time. I love you with all my heart Jethro"; she answered grabbing his hand from the table. He lifted their joined hands to his lips and gently kissed her hand.

Jenny smiled. Gibbs realised this was his best chance for happiness and it was time to take the plunge. Jenny knew him warts and all and if she was willing to give it another go then he should grab the chance with both hands.

"I think you are right Jen. Merry Christmas, honey" Gibbs said, raising his glass to Jenny.

"Marry me Jethro?"

Gibbs managed to minimise the amount of liquid that he let escape his mouth as he heard Jenny's question but the amount he had had to swallow caused him to cough violently. Jenny walked around and patted him on the back.

"I am OK now Jen, thanks", Gibbs responded as his breathing came back under control. The waiter arrived with a glass of iced water and Gibbs thanked him and took a long sip.

"Why should we keep messing around Jethro? We love each other and we have great sex. I want to be Mrs Gibbs. I think I have since I first saw you".

"Jen, I am not ready to get married again. I will ruin it. I loved all my wives but I still managed to extinguish their love for me. I don't want to do that with us".

Jenny looked up at him with hurt, teary eyes. "Fine, forget I said anything", she spat and called the waiter for their cheque. Gibbs sighed and closed his eyes. He could feel a major headache coming on.

The drive to Jenny's was silent but the atmosphere was tense. Why would he not commit to Jenny? He turned to look at her. She was beautiful. She understood him more than anyone he knew. She would make a good wife and like she said the sex was mind-blowing.

"Yes", he said.

"Yes what?"

"Yes I'll marry you", Gibbs said quietly.

"Oh God Jethro you have made me the happiest woman in the world. We will make it work honey. I promise".

"I know", but something deep inside Jethro was stopping him for feeling this was the right thing. Something that kept nagging at him, like an itch that needed to be scratched. He shook the thoughts away.

TBC