- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
A new case bring them back in troubles. But now they are together!
Chapter seven.

The Evans' case


Gibbs had given the keys to Tony, as he didn't quite feel like driving. He could see the worry in his lover's eyes but the only thing he could do about it was to try not to wince at each move, which was more difficult than he would have expected.
Tony was driving in silence for almost five minutes when he looked at Gibbs.

-Spill it, Tony!
-I didn't say anything and don't intend to as you seem to have already made your decision.
-I couldn't say no. It was a request from the Director.
-He would have understood given the circumstances. You didn't even try.
-We have a job to do Tony.
-I know that but I can't understand why you always put your first. You are much more important than any case we could solve.
-You must separate your private life and the job. It's not about you and me here.
-You don't understand that being together has changed many things, Gibbs. You are still my boss and I will do whatever you ask. But you are the man I love and I don't want to change what I feel for you. I can't stop worrying for you when we enter NCIS.
-I didn't ask you to ...because I couldn't help worrying about you for years. But you must trust me when I say I can do the job.
-I think it's not a question of your abilities to do it. You need it. Don't you?
-Maybe I need to do something not to think too much. But I would have preferred spending the next few days alone with you. We have so much to discover together.

Tony couldn't help a smile at the thought of what he wanted to discover with him.
-Ok, boss. But if you don't feel fine I'm bringing you home and put you to bed immediately.
-Deal. But promise me not to ask every minute if I am fine.
-I will do my best, boss.

Tony knew that Gibbs had turned into Special Agent mode and the only proof of his exhaustion were his red rimmed eyes and the bruises that covered his right eye and cheek.
As they entered the office they found Kate and Tim already at work on their new case. Tony was aware of Gibbs' heavy breathing behind him. He obviously had some difficulties but Tony knew that part of the problem was being back where his father attacked him. He knew better than to ask if Gibbs was fine or slow down to wait for him.

-Kate, what do we have?
Kate gave Tony an alarmed look when she saw Gibbs but she knew that he wouldn't allow her to be concerned for him while they were trying to solve a new case.
-A young man was found dead in an alley behind a pub yesterday. The local police had only found out about his identity this morning. That's why they contacted us.
-Why are we concerned with this case?
-His name was Evans, Sergeant Michael Evans.
-Ok, but you said that this case would be complicated. Why?
-Lieutenant Evans was beaten to death and left in the alley behind a club called the "Black Horse".

She had said that as if this simple information could have explained everything.
-And?
Gibbs didn't know anything about that pub but Tony seemed to find this meaningful.
-It's a notorious gay club, boss.
-So you think it's a case of gay bashing. I guess that our top advisers want us to play soft on this. Is there any evidence to confirm that theory?
-Yeah, the officer who arrived first found a note on the wall.
-Kate, do I need to ask for everything or have you decided to play twenty questions?
-No, boss. The inscription said "there is no place for fags in the Marines."

She handed the file to Gibbs. He was beginning to feel sick but it was not the time to show his feelings.
-Here is the preliminary report from the local authorities. I think we should go there just in case they missed something.
-Are you implying they may not have done a through search of the scene?
Tony chose this moment to intervene. He had been confronted with such cases as a cop and knew too well how gay bashings were considered by some of his former colleagues.
-Even if the cases of attacks against gay men or women had increased it seems that it is not the priority in that state. I have seen cases closed even if we hadn't found anything just because the victim was gay.
-I was just saying that we have more experience of crime scenes.

-We all understood what you meant Kate. You are right, we have to go there but first I want to see Ducky. I suppose they transferred Evan's body here?
-Yes, Ducky is already at work.
-Tony you are with me, Kate get the car ready.
Gibbs didn't wait for reply and headed for Ducky's lab. He trusted his team, they knew what to do and they never discussed a direct order. He entered the elevator, Tony on his heels.

-What do you think about this case?
-I think that, unfortunately, it's what it seems to be. Some narrow minded idiots decided to show their hate by killing an innocent man. As disgusting as it is, it's not unusual.
-They knew who he was. Do you think that could point to other Marines?
-I hope not. They may have found his papers. But...
-Some "friends" of him could have followed him in order to make him pay. The Marine Corps is not known to be tolerant toward gays. No offense, boss.
-No offense taken, Tony. I know that too well. I witnessed some of them in action.
-Did you...?
-Not me but a friend of mine was seriously wounded in the field because there was no one to back him up.
-God.
-They never tried to hurt me. They knew that I would have killed them before they could do anything.
Gibbs approached Tony and pressed a slight kiss to his lips. The soft touch amazed the young man. Gibbs had only brushed his lips but the fact the he had been confident enough to do it was one more proof that there was more than friendship between them.
-You can do that whenever you want, boss.
-I don't think it would be a good idea Tony because I seem to always want to kiss you or be close to you.
-Sure, even if I think that it would be a good lesson for everyone to see us kissing in the middle of the office.

Gibbs couldn't help laughing at the thought of the two of them kissing in front of everyone.
The elevator doors opened and they found Ducky at work on the body of the poor Lieutenant Evans.
-I thought you two were on leave?
-They needed us for the job, so here we are.
Tony tried to take a light tone but the mutilated body of Evans was there to remind them the seriousness of the situation.
-What are your first conclusions, Ducky?
-I can't say much for now, Jethro. I haven't began the autopsy yet but I can say that this poor Lieutenant was hit several times in the head by what could have been a baseball bat or something approximately the same size.
-Cause of death?
-The beating caused severe damages to the skull. Multiple traumas caused massive bleeding.
-God they are sick!

Tony has been unable to hold back the remark. Gibbs turned to look at him.
-They only killed him because they supposed him to be gay.
-We don't know that for sure, Tony.
-What other proof do you need? He was in a gay bar and was attacked when he left, besides there is that inscription on the wall. Come on boss, you know I'm right. They beat him to death because they couldn't stand working with him.

The young man was obviously disturbed by the case but Gibbs needed him to be at his best and not only for the case. He was almost unable to look at the mutilated body on the table. Dead bodies had never disturbed him as much as this one. He knew he was emotionally fragile and he needed Tony to stay focus on the facts.
He approached his field agent and cupped his neck with his right hand. The gesture was intimate but Gibbs didn't care.
-I know it's unfair and disgusting but if you want to send the one who did this in jail, we will need evidence, solid evidence. You can't let your feelings interfere with this investigation.

Gibbs' left hand had moved to Tony's chest and the younger man knew that the warmth he was feeling was not only due to the anger. Tony covered Gibbs' hand with his. They both needed the contact to feel safe.
-I see that the two of you are doing well. I'm glad to see it my friends. It will make you stronger. If you want my opinion you should have declared yourselves years ago but nobody listens to an old man like me...
The two men were aware of Ducky's constant babbling but they didn't want to loose the contact. Gibbs was the first to break it.
-We must go to the crime scene. I want your conclusion ASAP, Ducky.
-You'll have it by the end of the day. I'll send samples of anything I find to Abby.
-Thanks, Ducky.

Kate and Tim were waiting for them by the car as they entered the parking lot.
-Tony, you drive since you know the place.
-Sure, boss.
Kate was in playful mode today and as Tony had made jokes earlier about him and Gibbs she continued in this way.
-You know all the nice places. I didn't know that your field of investigation was so extended...
She was waiting for a sarcastic reply that never came. Instead of trying to shut her up, Tony looked t her with a huge smile.
-Always happy to amaze you, Kate.

Gibbs didn't miss the defiant tone behind the kind words and he was glad that Kate decided to end the conversation. It was not the best time for them to come out even if he didn't really care what anyone might think.
While they were driving, Gibbs took a look at the photographs taken at the crime scene by the police. The young man had been found in a dark alley behind the club. More than one person had hit him.
The facts were simple, the motive was obvious but the main question they had to solve was who. They had to stop them before they found another body.
Gibbs could feel shivers running down his spine at the thought of what this young man must have been through before he died. He was aware that homophobia was a plague that had spread lately, the hate supported by some stupid laws or religious speeches. The Marines was known to be quite intolerant regarding gays.

They arrived at the place five minutes later and Gibbs immediately knew why nobody had witnessed the attack, or heard Evans call for help. Even if the pub was in downtown, the neighborhood was made up of abandoned lots and closed plants. No need to ask why nobody called the police.
-Tony sketch the crime scene. Kate search the alley. Mc Gee you're with me. We are going to talk to the bartender.
-Sure, boss.
Tony wanted to go with Gibbs but he took the camera and walked to the alley followed by Kate. He knew that he was the best to sketch a crime scene and "Probie" Mc Gee, their new colleague, needed to learn how to lead an interrogation.

-I'm sorry to have disturbed your leave, Tony but the big boss wanted you two on this.
-No problem Kate. But Gibbs needed to rest and I don't think it's a good thing for him to be back to work so soon.
-I don't know what really happened with his father but you must trust him to know if he is able to do the job.
-I know he is able to do the job, Kate, but at what cost?
-He seems to be fine to me.
-Yes, Kate he "seems"... that's the word. He can make you see what he wants and hide the rest.
They began the job in silence even if Tony couldn't help looking at the door of the club for Gibbs.
Tony and Kate were back to the car when Mc Gee and Gibbs exited the building.
-Off course, nobody had heard anything. I think they are afraid to talk but the bartender told me Evans came here often. He hadn't seen him for two months. He remembers him that night. Evans left the pub alone at 0100. That's when he met his attackers. Anything useful in the alley?
-Nothing more than what was written in the report. No wonder they chose this club. By night no one could have seen what happened here.
-You are right, Tony. I think they chose the pub more than the victim.
-So what's next, boss?
-Kate I want you to check on Evans schedule for the last two months. Mc Gee help her and have a look at his bank accounts just to be sure. Tony you come with me. I want to talk to Evans friends before they have time to build a story.
-Sure, boss. What do we do with them? They may have to run to the office.
Gibbs couldn't help slapping him on the back of the head even if the gesture was softer than usual.
-We don't have time for jokes Tony, but next time you will follow us running!

They had let Tim and Kate at the office and were driving to the base where Evans worked. Tony looked at Gibbs whose eyes seemed to be even more tired now.
-We interview them and then I drive you home.
-Not yet, Tony. I have to check on Ducky's report before we decide what to do next. Besides Abby's analysis may help us. We must catch them before they decide to do one more victim.
-You think Marines he was serving with killed him.
Tony couldn't help the sickness growing as he thought those who were supposed to be his family, his closest friends... might have killed this young man.

-I don't know, Tony. Nowadays, there are many people that think gays should be banished from their neighborhood.
-There are not so many people that would act on it.
-I know but whoever it is, we would need solid evidence.
-Here we are. Evans unit is based on the East side.
They parked near the reception and walked to the little room. Tony had called to meet Evans' CO and he was already waiting for him.
After the usual questions about Evans background and behavior with his comrades, Gibbs asked if he had friends among them.

-He didn't have many friends on the base. He was studying most of his spare time but I sometimes saw him with Sergeants McKay and Everett. I will call them.
-Thank you, Colonel.
They waited for them in a small room. As the two men entered Gibbs looked at Tony. The younger man understood his boss wanted him to interview one of them while he would talk with the other one. They used to do that when they to confront suspects. Never let them have time to think about their testimony.
-Tony you go with Sergeant Everett. Sergeant McKay if you want to follow me.
-Sure, Sir.

Gibbs opened the door of the interrogation room. Tony headed to the opposite end of the hall. He knew what Gibbs wanted him to do.
Collect facts and try to decipher the personality of the man. It took them almost an hour to collect the information they needed. Tony was convinced that the man he had interviewed was guilty of being a narrow-minded bastard at least. If he hadn't killed Evans he was guilty of being stupid enough to admit out loud that he knew Evans had been gay and that he hated him for that.
When he closed the door of the car, Tony looked at Gibbs. The shadows under his eyes had darkened.
-They did it, Boss. Everett was too nervous to be honest.
-I don't know Tony. Mc Kay was ashamed to admit that he had troubles working with Evans but he didn't seem stupid enough to jeopardize his career. His father was a Marine and the Corps means a lot to him.
-We would have to check on their alibi.
-I don't think they did it, Tony. Even they had problems with him they would never have killed him. It would have been too dangerous for them. I guess it was not easy for Evans to work with them but I think they didn't go further the usual jokes and humiliations.
-Maybe but if it's not them who could it be?
-I don't know. Let's go see if Ducky has found something.
-Yes but the next step should be your house, a good meal and a nap.
-It's only midday, Tony.
-Yes and you look like someone who is about to collapse. You promised and don't tell me you are fine because I can see you are not. You need to lie down in your bed.
-Is that a proposition, Agent DiNozzo?
-One step at a time, remember Boss?

Gibbs smiled softly at him. He loved being able to flirt with Tony. The man had always been charming and Gibbs couldn't resist his smile. They parked the car and walked to the ME's lab.
-Greetings young men. What have you found?
-Nothing definitive. Even if the Marines who worked with Evans are not the most open-minded men I ever met. Gibbs thinks they didn't do it and as he is always right. I guess we would have to search elsewhere.
-We would have to check everything, Tony. I didn't say I had given up the idea of Everett and Mc Kay being guilty. What's new, Ducky?
-The autopsy confirmed what I supposed. Sergeant Evans died from massive bleeding in the head caused by blunt force trauma. But he didn't die immediately. They had kicked him in the back, the ribs. They wanted him to suffer before killing him. His legs had several fractures as well as his right arm.

Gibbs was feeling dizzy hearing those words. He had seen many victims of bashing before but it was the first time he felt so close of one of them. He had felt the same pain. He had been in that dark alley.
It had not been the same place but he knew what it was to be beaten without being able to fight back, to know that whatever you could do you would die.
Ducky was going on with the description of Evans wounds but Gibbs couldn't hear him anymore. It was as if his brain wasn't able to process. He heard Tony's voice but it was a far away sound, too far to understand what he was saying.

-Ducky did you find something interesting to send to Abby?
-I did find some interesting things, a hair that didn't belong to the victim and bits of wood in the head wounds.
The two men went on talking oblivious to the fact that Gibbs had remained quiet for a long time. He was trying to regain control of his mind but he couldn't find the strength to hold on. He was back in his worst nightmare, facing his father, facing death once more.
Tony was the first to notice Gibbs' stillness. He realized that something was wrong as he saw the tears running down Gibbs' cheeks.
-Jethro, come here!
He walked to the older man and hugged him tightly. At first Gibbs tensed in his arms and Tony was worried that he may have had the wrong reaction.

-It's me, Jethro. Everything is fine. You are safe here.
Gibbs began to relax at the soft words. Ducky came back with a glass of water and a chair. He placed a gentle hand on Gibbs back.
-Sit down, Jethro and drink this.
Gibbs allowed Tony to help him sit on the chair. He still had Tony's hand in his and the younger man knelt beside him keeping the contact.
-Are you Ok, boss?
-Yes, Tony but it had been a long day.
Ducky looked doubtfully at him. He thought it had not been the first "long" day in the last week for his friend.
-Sure, Jethro. And I can see by the shadows under your eyes that you have not been getting enough rest. I will give you something to help you sleep.
-Thanks, Ducky but I don't need anything.
-Boss, you must let Ducky help you. Last night you had nightmares and if taking a pill could help you rest, you should take it.
-You don't understand, Tony.

Ducky was amazed to see how much Gibbs was afraid. He had never witnessed so much fear in his friend's eyes before. He didn't know what to do but Tony seemed to know why Gibbs was afraid to sleep.
-I understand, boss but you know you can sleep now.
-No, no. What if something happens? If someone needs me?
Gibbs didn't seem to be really aware of his surroundings. He closed his eyes, overwhelmed by fears he had too long hidden.
-Jethro, look at me... Open your eyes and look at me.
As he opened his eyes Tony repressed a sob. The trauma of his childhood was visible in his eyes and it was almost unbearable for Tony to see him in such a pain.
-Do you trust me, Jethro?
-Off course, Tony. You know that.
-You know I will be here for you, that I won't let you down, ever?

Gibbs seemed to relax at those words as if he was little by little coming back to the present. Tony knew where he wanted to lead him. He needed him to look at him, to see the love in his eyes.
-I'll tell you what we are going to do. I'll bring you home, cook some food and then you'll go to sleep.
-I'm not that tired and it's only midday...
-Ssssh! Let me finish. You will take the pills Ducky wanted to give you and I'll stay with you. I will lie beside you and if anything happens I'll take care of it. Can you do that for me?
Gibbs nodded slightly. Tony looked up at Ducky.
-I'll take the pills Ducky and take him home. I think he has had enough for today.
-Anthony! You will take care of him? He needs you.
-I won't let him down, Ducky. I love him too much to do that.
-I'm glad to hear it, Anthony.

Ducky was whispering as he didn't want Gibbs to hear what he had to say. He had known him for years and he wanted Tony to be aware that Gibbs wasn't fine even he pretended to.
-He is fragile, Tony... emotionally. I've never seen him like this.
-I know, Ducky and I think it's only the begining. The trauma of his childhood hurt him deeply and he took him years to hide it. After what happened yesterday, he couldn't continue to pretend nothing happened and it was as if he was obliged to live those events once more.
-He is lucky to finally have you by his side.
-He has always had me he was just not aware of it. I love him, Ducky like I never loved anyone before.
-He loves you too even if he is not able to say the words out loud for now. I can see it in his eyes when he looks at you. Take him home. I'll call if we find anything.
-Thanks, Ducky.

He turned back to Gibbs who hadn't moved from his chair.
-Are you ready to go, Jethro?
-Yeah, Tony. if you have anything new, Ducky, call. I think I need some sleep. See you tomorrow.
-Just think about yourself, for once, Jethro. You need to take your time and rest.
-We haven't time, Ducky. We have to catch them before they kill again.
-We will Jethro.

The two men exited the lab and walked to Gibbs' car. As soon as they arrived at Gibbs' house, Tony headed to the kitchen.
-We will have to go to the grocery. You have nothing left in your fridge.
-Near the phone, you have some numbers of restaurants which deliver.
-What do you want?
-I don't know. What about chinese. I could teach you how to use chopsticks.
-Sure. You go and take a hot shower to relax your muscles. I'll take care of dinner.
Tony looked at Gibbs as he climbed the stairs. He was obviously tired but more than that it was as if he had lost what made him the strongest man Tony had ever met. Tony didn't know how to help him. He could only be here for him, reassure him and comfort him with his love.

Tony called the restaurant and as he hung up the phone rang.
-DiNozzo!
-Hi, Tony. it's Brian. How is he doing?
-Hi, Brian. Well, to be honest he is not quite fine. We got a case today. A young Sergeant had been beaten to death because he was gay.
-He didn't this kind of stress. How are the two of you? Ducky was so happy to see you two together that he called me.
-He is incredible some times. He can't keep his mouth shut.
-You can't blame him for spreading good news, Tony. It's not so often.
-Yeah, I guess so.
-I'm glad he finally found someone he could rely on. You deserve to be happy. I just hope this case won't hurt him more.
-He was a bit shaken, but I'll take care of him.
-I'm sure of that Tony. Tell him I called. Bye.
-Bye, Brian.
As Tony hung up he heard footsteps behind him.

-Who was it?
-Brian.
Tony had turned to look at Gibbs while he was speaking. He froze as he saw him. Gibbs was in the middle of the living room, his grey hair still damp from the shower, a towel tied around his waist. The man was handsome. Firm chest, strong arms.
-What?
-I... You... Woaw! I was just..You are hot!
Gibbs couldn't help laughing. Nobody had ever told him he was "hot" especially another man but he was flattered.
-You think I'm hot?
-Yeah, do you ever look at youself, Gibbs?
-Not really.

Tony couldn't help staring at him. Gibbs was aware of the man's eyes on him. Even if he couldn't understand what he saw in him.
-What do you see when you look at me, Tony?
The question was unsure as if he was afraid of Tony's answer.
-I see a strong man, the man I fell in love with. I can see your courage and your soul. You are beautiful, Jethro, in every sense of the world.
Gibbs was stunned to hear what Tony had said. He would never have guessed that Tony could find him beautiful but he was even more amazed by the man's sensibility.
-I should put something on... although...
-Yeah! One step at a time.

Gibbs turned and his move was stopped by the pain of his unhealed ribs. Tony rushed to him and put a hand on his arm.
-Sit down on the couch. I think you need a "Massage Spécial". I'm an expert. Do you have some oil?
-In the bathroom.
-Wait here a minute.
Gibbs' muscles were sore and he knew Tony was right. Besides it was the ideal occasion to be closer to him. He didn't know how close he could allow him to come without being uncomfortable. It had been hard for him at the begining to accept the hugs, the kisses. But Tony had found the words to reassure him and it became easier.

Tony was back and sat beside him on the couch. He put some oil on his hands and began to squeeze Gibbs' shoulders. The younger man was indeed an expert. His hands were running easily across Gibbs' shoulders and back. The older man couldn't help leaning into the sensations.
-Are you feeling better?
-You are doing just fine.
-I told you I was an expert.
-Yeah, but if you go on like that I will fall asleep in your arms.
-I would be glad to sleep with you in my arms but not before you eat something.
They were interrupted by the door bell. Tony let Gibbs go with regrets.
-Dinner is ready. Go and put something on while I set the table.

After dinner, Gibbs sat on the couch a coffee in his hands. He was relaxed and enjoyed the moment. Tony sat beside him.
-What are you thinking?
-Nothing special. I was just enjoying the quiet.
-Sorry to disturb.
-Don't be stupid, Tony. I love having you here. And the closer you are the better I feel.

Tony leaned comfortably on the couch reassured by Gibbs'words. They just stayed there, shoulder to shoulder. Gibbs closed his eyes and didn't resist when he felt sleep coming.
As always when he fell asleep he reviewed the day. But today was not a good one to remember, like the ones before.
He could see the two Sergeants they had interviewed but the image that appeared stronger was the mutilated body of Evans in Ducky's lab. He was able to understand what the young man had been through, how he had suffered not only because of his injuries but because he had known all the time that they were hitting him that they would leave him no chances. They wanted to kill him and he had been aware of that.

Gibbs could see what happened in the alley, he could hear Evans call for help he knew wouldn't come. He could feel the fear running down his spine, unbearable feeling of helplessness. He could feel the first kick, the taste of blood in his mouth, the moment his knees had given up under him, the coldness of the pavement. At that moment it wasn't Evans that he saw in the alley, it was himself pleading for help, hoping that finally someone would hear him and save him from death.
Tony had seen Gibbs fall asleep and hoped the older man wouldn't have nightmares. But he could feel the tension that was making him move and moan in his sleep. He put a hand on his arm.
-Jethro, wake up.

Gibbs woke up with a start, looking around for a moment before he could remember where he really was. He was aware of Tony's hand and it was the only thing he wanted the concentrate on. This slight contact was enough to reassure him.
-Where were you, this time?
He couldn't lie to Tony even if he felt a bit ashamed to be afraid of something that didn't happen to him. But he couldn't help shivering at the thought of what had happened to this young man.

-I was in the alley behind the "Black Horse".
-It wasn't you, Jethro.
-I know, Tony. but it seems that my mind has its own way of thinking. I've been there, you know. I know what he felt while they were beating him.
Tony sighed. He knew that Gibbs could see ressemblances between his life and the way Evans had been killed. But he didn't want him to think about it. It was hard enough for him to deal with his own fear without being obliged to live with someone else's nightmare.

-I know, Jethro. I wish I could help you forget about what happened but I can't. I can just be there for you and hold your hand until the nightmare vanishes.
-Would you sleep with me tonight?
-I didn't intend to sleep in the chair. Of course, I'll stay with you. Go to bed. I'll bring you a glass of water and the pills Ducky gave me.
Gibbs was already in bed when Tony entered the dark room. It was early in the evening but Tony felt so exhausted that it would be a good idea to have some rest. Gibbs swallowed half the water with two pills and lay back in bed.
-Sleepy eyes, Boss?
-Yeah, I'm not used to taking those things. They seem to be pretty strong.
-Come closer, old man. I'm freezing here.
Gibbs rested his head on Tony's chest, sighing heavily.
-Are you comfy?
-Yeah, you?
-It couldn't be better. Now you just sleep and don't worry about anything. I'll take care of you, Jethro.
Gibbs only heard half of Tony's speech. Tony kissed Gibbs' forehead before letting sleep overwhelm him.

The next morning, Tony waited for Gibbs to wake up. He didn't want him to wake up alone. The night had been quite calm and they both had been able to rest. Gibbs was still curled against him but he could feel him move.
-Wake up, Sleeping Beauty.
-Don't ever try to call me that in front of anyone.
-And at home? It's just you and me.
-You can call me whatever you want when we are alone.
-Coffee?
-Is that a question? Have you already called Kate?
Even if he just woke up, Gibbs was able to focus on the job. It had always amazed Tony to see how this man could go straight to the facts.

-I waited for you to wake up. I wanted to share this moment with you. Now I intend to go to the kitchen and make some coffee then I will eventually call Kate. But before that I want a proper Good Morning.
Tony cupped Gibbs' cheek with his right hand turning the older man's face so he could kiss him.
-Good morning, boss.
Gibbs closed his eyes to savour the soft contact of Tony's lips.
-Good morning Tony.
Tony smiled at him and stood up from the bed.
-Now, coffee then Kate.
Gibbs took his time to dress knowing that Tony was able to deal with Kate and plan their schedule.
As he entered the kitchen he found Tony with a mug of coffee, eating home made pancakes.
-You made the coffee, phoned Kate and made pancakes at the same time.
-I'm able to multitask, boss. Besides I didn't want to spend so much time on the phone with Kate.
-She teased you, didn't she?
-You know her. She can't keep her mouth shut.
-What did you tell her?
-Nothing, she just asked if you were fine. And I told her that you had slept well because you had spent the night in my arms.
-I guess she didn't believe you.
-No, she told me that I over estimated my power over you. I was hurt.
-She is wrong Tony. But you can't blame her. She doesn't know you as I do. Or she would have seen that you meant everything to me.

Tony was stunned by Gibbs' words. It was not a declaration of undying love but it was the first time Gibbs expressed so directly his feelings.
-I'm glad to hear it, boss. Maybe you would allow me to tell her that some day?
-You can tell her what you want Tony. I don't care. I'm not ashamed of what I feel for you. If she is not able to deal with it that would be her problem not ours.
-Woaw. You are ready to tell them about us?
-Not really. I didn't say I would be the one who would do the telling but if you feel the need to tell anyone, I would agree.
-Thanks, Jethro. But I think it would be better to wait until we solve this case. Unless she continues to tease about you and me.
-I was sure that behind that childish attitude was hidden a grown man.
-Thank you, boss. I feel appreciated. Before I hung up on her I managed to get information. Abby has some interesting results with the samples Ducky sent to her. So I planned a meeting at her lab with all the team in half an hour.
-Good job, Tony.
Gibbs kissed Tony's cheek and sat at the kitchen table with his coffee.
-I definitely prefer that to a slap on the head.
-I could do both.
Chapter End Notes:
Special thanks to Atymer who beta read it for me. Thank you so much my friend.
Special wink to Jon. I love our talks. Thank you