- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Gibbs and Tony go undercover
Chapter eight.
Undercover.

As soon as they entered Abby's lab they knew that the results were not what they expected. The forensic scientist informed them that the hair found on the victim didn't belong to Lieutenant Everett or Mac Kay. Kate had checked their schedules and had found witnesses that had seen them in the club the night Evans had been killed.
This informations only confirmed what Gibbs had felt.

-I checked military data base for DNA but no match found. This hair doesn't belong to your Marines. Well it doesn't belong to a Marine at all. I'm sorry, Bossman.
-Are you absolutely sure, Abby?
-DNA doesn't lie, Gibbs. This hair doesn't belong to them. You will have to search somewhere else.
-I guess so. But we don't have time for that. If they follow the same schedule another young man would be attacked tonight. And we can't let it happen.

Gibbs sat on a chair in front of Tony and began to think out loud as he was used to doing when a case disturbed him. Tony knew he needed it to make things clearer and sometimes joining him, they were able to find a solution.
-What do we have? A Marine beaten to death behind a gay bar by someone who obviously knew he was in the army. Even if Evans had never came out, Everett and Mc Kay didn't bother to hide everyone knew about his sexual preferences. We have a hair found on the victim which doesn't belong to him. Something else Ducky?
-I found wood particules in Evans head wounds. He was most likely killed with a baseball bat or some other bludgeon made from maple.
-Mc Gee have you found something in the police reports?
-Gay bashing seems to be increaseing lately in the district.
-Something linked to our case?
-In the last two months there had been twenty attacks. Ten of them happened at the exit of a gay bar. Only one seems to match our murderers modus operandi. Andrew Robertson was found dead behind "O'Malley's" three days ago. He was Second Lieutenant based at Quantico. I asked for the autopsy report.
Tony had to intervene even if he knew that Kate would find an occasion to tease him.
-Boss. There may be something in the fact they chose those two clubs among others. There are plenty of gay bars in Washington. But these two are known to be the place where military or police personnel go when they don't want to be seen.
-You think that they chose the "Black Horse" and "O'Malley's" because they knew they would find their chosen targets there.
-I thing that those sick bastards didn't only want to kill some gay men, they targeted soldiers.
-So, where does it lead us?
-We may be able to find their next target.
-You seem to be a specialist of these kind of places, Tony. So where?

Tony didn't like the tone of Kate's voice.
-What bothers you the most, Kate? Is it the fact that I could be right this time or the fact that I know where gay clubs are in DC?
-I didn't mean it like that, Tony. but I didn't think you would be the kind of guy who go to gay bars.
-I love the music there.
Gibbs smiled at his lover's reply. He knew that the younger man had realised they had no time to loose in arguments. There would be other occasions to clear things with Kate.
-So, Tony. do you know where they would go tonight?
-Maybe. There are not many bars where policemen or soldiers could go without being questioned. Abby do you have a map of Washington's down town?
-Sure, Tony.
Tony was able to locate five clubs or bars that fit the profile. They were all looking at the map, trying to find a way to eliminate more places.
-They must choose a place where they could hide and without neighboors.
-This one seems to be the perfect place. A narrow street, no neighboors except stores which are closed at night.
-Ok. Tony I heard you say some times that you were the best for under cover mission. What about haunting gay clubs tonight?
-Sure, it's been a long time but I could manage.

Kate looked at them feeling that something had changed. They seemed more confident with each other.
-It would be risky to go there alone, Tony. Even with back up.
-I didn't intend to send him there alone, Kate. Besides even if Tony is a good actor they wouldn't think he could be a Marine.
Ducky was worried when he understood where this conversation would lead them.
-You don't really think of going there yourself, Jethro? You are not fit enough to play the bait.
-I must agree with Ducky, boss. I was a cop like Robertson.
-Yeah, but we must catch them and what would be more attractive to them than a couple.
-You want us to play lovers?
Tony couldn't hide his smile.

-A Marine and a cop. They would not be able to resist us.
-They never attacked a couple before. Besides have you ever been to this kind of club Boss?
-I'm aware of the details of the file that's why I would go out alone. Kate, I don't think you are an option for this job. No matter if I had spent the night dancing at Babylon's or not. It could only be Tony and me this time.
Tony looked at Kate. She was speechless and Tony knew Gibbs had wanted to send everyone a message by talking about the most famous gay night club in town.
-So the two of go under cover and what?
-Abby give us some credit. I think our homophobic bastards would be thrilled by our couple. If we play this right we could make them follow one of us and catch them all.
-Isn't it a bite risky, Jethro?
-Not if we stay together, Ducky. I won't wait for another young man to be killed. We will need surveillance, video. Abs, Mc Gee you take care of that.

The discussion was over and they all knew they wouldn't be able to make him change his mind. The only thing they could do was their job and be there if something went wrong.
-Ducky you check the autopsy of Robertson's case as soon as it arrives. I want them to fall for this one too.
-I will study it in detail. If there is any similarity I will find it.
-Good everyone knows what he has to do so we meet at lunch.
Every one exited the lab except Kate.

-You are taking too many risks, boss. I know that I won't be able to make you change your mind on that but I hope you won't regret it later.
-You know I won't risk any of your lives on this but someone has to do something.
-If you say so.
Gibbs didn't want to have this kind of conversation with her now but he couldn't let her doubt his abilities to make the right decision.
-Even if you think that it's not the right thing to do I'm able to take decisions. And I don't need you to discuss them. I'm still your team leader and you have a job to do, Agent Todd.
-Sure boss.

She exited the room with no more reply but Gibbs knew this was not over. He would have to explain to her why he had made this decision. He knew he had let his feelings lead him.
He was alone with Tony and he could feel his eyes on him. He knew what Tony wanted to ask and he waited for him.
-Have you ever been to Babylon, Jethro?
He couldn't help laughing at the question.
-In another life time, Tony.
-I would have paid to meet you there. I could imagine you on the dance floor.
-I was mostly at the bar. I'm not the kind of man who could dance.
-I can teach you even if what you do there is not dance. It's more a question of moving in a suggestive way.
-I see and you know how do that, Tony.
-I'll show you one day in private, boss.
Tony smile faded as he approached Gibbs.

-Are sure it's the only solution? What if they follow you in the alley behind the pub and attack you?
-It won't happen, Tony. We won't go there without back up. Kate and Mc Gee will be outside.
-I know but if something happen to you, I won't...
-Don't go there, Tony. We will prepare everything. I don't intend on letting them catch me.
-You can't promise that. You know there is a risk. Don't lie to me.
-I don't want you to worry. There is always a possibility that everything gets out of control but I'm not afraid. You will be there.
-Sure, Love.
-I love when you call me that.

Tony's hands were on Gibbs' shoulders. The older man could see the tight shirt of his lover follow each breath. Tony was so close to him that he could almost hear his heartbeat.
Gibbs stood in front of Tony and brushed his lips on Tony's.
It was a slight kiss at first but they both wanted more. Tony didn't want to rush things but feeling Gibbs so close and willing in his arms sent shivers down his spine. His tongue found his way through Gibbs' parted lips.
Gibbs couldn't remember the last time he had felt so much in just one kiss. Tony was a passionate man and Gibbs had known that he would take the initiative. He didn't know for sure how long they stayed there, kissing in the middle of Abby's lab but a soft moan escaped Tony's lips as they parted.
-Woaw, boss. I won't be able to concentrate on the job tonight if you kiss me like that. But I think we are ready.
-I'm not really sure. I think I need one more try.
-Whatever you want.
Tony was more than pleased to obey such orders.

They joined A bby, McGee, Kate and Ducky who couldn't help worrying about their friend's decision. They had spent their time planning their scenario for tonight. The point was to make it obvious they were together.
The most difficult part of their plan was to indentify the attackers before they attack and try to kill Gibbs. The murderers seemed to prefer gay men from the Marines, so they had to offer them what they wanted.

-Mc Gee what do you have prepared for us?
-Only the best, undetectable microphones. Even the FBI can't find them. The second team would stay fifty meters away in the street. We would be in communication with you two all the time. If something goes wrong you would only have to call for help. It would take a minute for the team to be there.
-What if he doesn't have a minute, Timothy?
-No negative attitude will be accepted here, Ducky.

Gibbs had tried to lighten the tone of the conversation but the ME was not in the mood for jokes.
-You shouldn't take it so lightly, Jethro. Lieutenant Evans was a trained Marine and he couldn't do anything to defend himself.
Gibbs decided to ignore him. He couldn't afford loosing time thinking of what might happen to him.
-Good job Mc Gee. Now we must be clear. Tony and I will go there separatly, as if we had an appointment. We will meet at the bar and give the guys a show.
-You'll need someone inside to back you up. You wouldn't be able to search for them and play lovers in the same time.
-It would be too obvious, Kate. We stay there for a moment and then I would go out alone while Tony looks at the ones who would have noticed.
-Don't look at me like that, Ducky. I tried to make him change his mind but I must agree it's the only way we could catch them before they attack someone else.
-I'm well aware of that young man. I'm just afraid that the price to pay would be too high. You wouldn't be able to fight back if they attacked you and even if the team won't be far away they would have enough time to hurt you badly.
-I am aware of this, Ducky. But you would be here with all your bugs and if I feel they are on to me I will call immediatly.
-I must agree with Ducky. They could hurt you pretty badly even if we arrive as soon as we receive your signal.
-I know it Kate and I never told you it wasn't a bit risky. I'm not longing for being kicked but if we wait there would be another innocent victim.
-Let's just hope it won't be you.
-I'm flattered Ducky but I'm not quite innocent, you know.
-I am not hearing that!

They all turned to look at Abby who had stayed silent until now.
-I can't believe you are willing to play the bait after what that man had done to you. Just look at you, boss. A swollen eye, a gash in the forehead, broken ribs, hematomes the size of Texas. What's next?
-Abby this has nothing to do with my father.
-Are you sure of it? I think on the contrary that it has everything to do with your father. I don't know why but you wouldn't have thought of such a plan if he hadn't reappeared. You don't have to sacrifice yourself to catch them. We will find a way.
-We have no time to find another way. I don't know if you are right but we have to do something. A young man was beaten to death because those bastards thought he didn't deserve to live. Are you saying that we shouldn't do the best to catch those who did this to him?

The other members of the team were watching them wondering who would eventually win the exchange. Abby had always been the only one who could face Gibbs and today she was doing what they all wanted to do without daring it.
Tony agreed with Abby but he also knew there was no other way. They wouldn't be able to face themselves if they stayed there without trying anything. It would be easier but it was not like Gibbs to choose the easy way.

-Abs, Gibbs is right. Even if I know it is dangerous we have to try something. Besides I won't be far from him. If I see someone suspect following him, I'll arrest him before he could touch Gibbs.
-You, most of anyone here, should try to make him change his mind, Tony. Don't you see that he is about to put his life in the line one more time.
Tony looked at her with cold eyes. He was aware that Abby knew about his feelings toward Gibbs. The young woman had always been able to read them like open books. He could let her question his abilities to protect the man he loved.

-I can tell you that I would die instead of letting him be hurt. If I had agreed with him it's only because he would go no matter what I say. I prefered to help him instead. So let's get clear for everyone here. I will be there to back him up and believe me no one wants more than me to see him here safe and sound after this mission.
They were all stunned by Tony's speech. Nobody had missed the possessive tone in his voice. It was clear for every witness that there was definitetly something between them.

-Everything will be fine, Abs. Tony is the best to take care of me.
-We all could see that, boss. May I ask a question that everyone wants to ask here?
-It's not really good timing, Kate. We would continue this discussion tomorrow, promise. We still have some things to talk about.
-I think the plan is pretty clear, boss. We go there, we show off and arrest the bad guys.
-The hard thing would be to pretend to be in love with you, Tony.
-I'm hurt, boss. Am I not a loveable guy.

They couldn't tell what Gibbs' smile meant but it was for Tony only. Kate was now sure there was something more between them than usual and she was determine to know what.
They planned the last details concerning the security with Mc Gee and Kate trying to ignore Abby remarks. After that McGee went to prepare the car grabbing Abby's arm to make her follw him to the parking lot.
He was aware that the young woman was worried but he knew that neither Gibbs nor Tony needed her to remind them how dangerous this plan was.
Tony and Kate were now arguing about the weapons they could take. Gibbs didn't listen to them and ended the argument sharply.
-No weapons for me. We don't know who they are. They may be former soldiers and if they are they would see if I am armed.
They didn't find anything to say so Kate decided to change the subject.
-Are you sure you are up to this, boss?
-For the last time Kate, yes I am. I'm still able to do the job.
-I don't worry about your abilities to do the job. I'm worried for you. There are limits for what a man can handle on his own...

She was about to add something when Tony approched Gibbs standing by his side in a protective attitude she had never witnessed with him.
-He is not alone, Kate.
-Sorry Tony but I wasn't talking about the mission...
-Me neither, Kate.
He put a hand on Gibbs' shoulder to make his words clearer. She was amazed to see Gibbs accept the touch. Tony's eyes were cold as he had said that. He seemed to be angry at their team mate as if she was threatening him.
Gibbs could feel him tense behind him. He decided that reassuring Tony was far more important for now than hiding their new love from Kate. He turned to face the younger man he passed an arm around his waist to draw him into a hug. Tony began to relax in his arms.
-I need you to focus, Tony.

He broke the contact to face Kate.
-I'm not alone anymore, Kate.
-I didn't know that you were so close.
-Is there a problem with it, Kate?
-Even if I had a problem with the two of you being together, be sure it won't interfere with the job.
-I'm glad to hear it, Kate.
-I must go prepare the weapons.

They stayed in the room as she walked away. Gibbs was not sure what to think of her reaction. He had known she would stay professionnal, that's how she reacted when something bothers her.
-I don't think she took it well, boss.
-I don't care Tony. She can take it the way she wants, she can even talk to Morrow. I would resign if I have to. Besides I needed her to know.
-Me too. I'm happy you felt confident enough to tell her.
-I thought that you were about to yell at her if I didn't find a way to shut her up.
-So smart of you. No I know why I love you.
Gibbs froze at the way Tony had said it. It seemed so easy for him to say those words that Gibbs couldn't allow himself to say. He wasn't still sure that Tony really meant it. His vision began to blur. He was suddenly oblivious to his surroundings.

Tony saw him grow paler. He approached him placing a hand on his back.
-Are you Ok, Jethro?
As Gibbs felt Tony's touch he knew he could let go. His knees gave up under him and the only reason why he didn't fall was because Tony caught before he touched the floor.
-Easy boss. We will sit here for a moment. Just stay with me.
Tony was woried by Gibbs weakness. It seemed that the older man was more affected by the events than he had thought.
-What happened, boss? I should take you home.
-No, I'm fine, Tony. I was just surprised by what you said.
-Why? You think I didn't mean it? You still think that noone can love you? You heard me well, Leroy Jethro Gibbs and I will say it until you believe me. I love you, I'm in love with you.
-Thank you Tony. I think I feel a little insecure for now. I know we are good together. It feels good to be able to touch you and kiss you. I feel safe in your arms but don't be mad at me. I can't say those words to you. It's not because I don't feel it too but...
-Hey, boss I don't wait for you to say anything you are not ready for. But you must be sure of something. I won't do anything which could hurt you, never. I won't lie to you, Jethro.
-I know, Tony.

Tony took Gibbs' hand and entwined their fingers. Gibbs didn't want this moment to end. It was reassuring to feel Tony's heat near him. He needed to feel him close. He knew that the mission they were about to perform would be hard but they had to concentrate on it.
-Feel better?
-Always felt better when you are around, especially now.
-Why didn't you tell me what you felt? It could have changed many things.
-I didn't know if you felt the same and I was not ready to tell you the truth about my father.
-So if he hadn't been freed, you would never have told me?
-I don't know, Tony. It' s hard for me to admit it but I was scared to death to loose you. I've seen so many people run away at the thought of the man I really was.
-I'm not anyone, Jethro. I thought you knew it.

Tony seemed to be hurt by what he had heard from his lover. Even if he could understand his fears, it was hard to know that Gibbs hadn't seen through him.
-I'm sorry, Tony. I have nothing to say to make it easier for you. I couldn't afford loosing you. I couldn't risk what we had. I know it's selfish but it was the only way to keep you by my side.
-There's no need for apologizing, boss. I was good at hiding myself. I tried to send you signals some times but I was too afraid to be rejected.
-I promise you we would take time to have a real conversation as this case would be closed. I don't want to hide anything from you, Tony.
-Appointment taken, Jethro. For now, we have to dress for tonight. I want to make a good impression on our first date.What do you want me to wear, boss?
-It is not how I pictured our first date Tony. I promise that our real first would be much more romantic than a gay bar. Everything you choose would be fine to me. What do you suggest for me?
-A uniform would be too obvious. Even if I love you in your uniform. I think that your grey shirt will be fine. It matches your hair and makes your eyes brighter. And the black trousers I saw you in when we met at the restaurant the other night.
-You seem to know my wardrobe better than me. What will you wear?
-Tell me, Jethro, what had you planned for our first date?
-I sometimes thought that I could take you to Gene's for a romantis "tête à tête". Then a last drink at the Shamrock's.
-What a plan! Certainly more romantic than a beer at the "Hot Stuff". I didn't think of you as a sap.
-I would do anything you want me to!
-I must go now or I would be late for tonight. I will meet you at the pub at eight. Don't let anybody flirt with you. You know you are mine.
Tony headed to the door slowly waiting for Gibbs to add something.
-Your blue shirt and those tight jeans you wore on monday morning when I picked you up.

Tony walked to his car smiling while Gibbs headed to Ducky's lab. The ME was reading the autopsy report of Robertson.
-Jethro. This report is quite interesting. There are obviously similarities between Lieutenant Evans' attack and Robertson's case. The wood extracted from Robertson's wounds was analysed and it comes from the same source as the one I found on Evans.
-So we only have to find the bat it comes from and we would be able to charge them for two murders.
-Sure, those bastards would stay behind bars for years.
-We will catch them, Ducky.
-And can you tell what the price would be for you?

Gibbs didn't know how to answer this question. He knew that he couldn't hide anything from Ducky but he didn't want to show him how scared he was to have to face these men.
-I know that you don't agree with this mission and that you would never question my decision. And I thank you for that. But we wouldn't have this conversation if I hadn't told you about my father.
-Maybe but you must admit that things have changed in the last two days and that the return of your father in your life had hit you pretty hard.
-I am well aware that I am weaker now because of him and what he had done to me. But you were right to say that things have changed and some of them for the better. I have someone to fight for, now. And I won't risk loosing what I have with Tony even if we take it slow for now.
-It's another reason to be careful, Jethro. You two deserve a chance to build a real relationship.
-I intend to take all the time needed to have a real relationship with him. And you know I mean it, Ducky. I won't risk what we have even to solve this case.

They stayed quiet for a moment. Ducky knew that his friend had something more to say and waited for him to be ready to do so.
-Ducky I need you to do me a favor.
-Anything you need, my friend.
-I want you to give that letter to Tony if something happens. If I'm unable to tell him I want you to give it to him.
-Jethro, nothing will happen. We will be here to back you up. I won't let anything happen to you now you've found someone you love.
-I know, Ducky. But I would be reassuring if I knew that he would know what I feel for him even if I am unable to tell him. I want him to know how much I love him.
-I can understand tht but promise me that you will be careful.
-Sure, Ducky. I'll let you work. I have to prepare, I have a date tonight.

Ducky looked at his friend as he exited the lab. He couldn't help that strange feeling deep in his guts that told him that something terrible was about to happen.
Chapter End Notes:
Special thanks to Atymer who beta read it for me.
Special dedication : Hope you will enjoy this one, Love