- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Sorry but the title says it all!
Chapter nine.

Deathtrap.


It was eight minus ten when he entered the club. He wasn't really at ease, even if the environment was quiet. He had never gone to a gay club before and he didn't know what to expect.
When he pushed the door open he was surprised to see that there were no differences between this place and a traditional club in town. He didn't know what he had been waiting for, maybe more colors, noise. But nothing like that here, no pink lights, no techno music, just a soft jazz playing and little single lights on each table.

Gibbs headed for the bar where a young man with long curly hair was cleaning glasses. They had agreed that the bar would be the best place to observe and be seen. They didn't know how the victims had been chosen. If they had noticed them inside or had waited outside. So they would have to play it both ways.

-What can I do for you, gentleman?
-Hi, I will have a beer.
-A beer. It's the first time I've seen you here.
Gibbs didn't know if the young man was used to talking with every customers but he was flattered by the flirting tone he had used.

-No, I've just arrived in town and a friend of mine recommended this place. He told me it was a safe place to go for someone who didn't need to be seen.
-I see. What branch?
-How do you know I'm in the service?
-I suspected it when I saw you enter. The way you move, the way you scanned the place heading to the best place where you would be able to have a look at anyone coming in. So?
-Marines. Gunnery Sergeant Gibbs.
-So, Gunny what brings you here?
-I'm waiting for a friend. He will be here soon. We agreed to come here separately. We must be discreet.
-I should have guessed. All the good guys are already taken.
-You must meet a lot of guys here?
-Not so often. Besides this club is not a good place to find the good one. The men who come here are searching for a one night stand. They are not searching for love. And as I'm here all nights... You see what my problem is?
-I see. You talk like someone who had been badly hurt.
-I won't bother you with my love life. I don't want my customers to go away running. Let's just say that I had my share of problems. Who doesn't? Now your turn. Who is that wonderful man?
-He is a cop.
-You must have a complicated life, Gunny. I see why you have to be discreet. Being gay in the Marines is already hard but dating a cop... He must really be special to be worth the risk.

Gibbs couldn't help smiling.
-He is. He is the best thing that has happened to me in the last twenty years or so. Tony and I have taken our time to be sure but I would give up everything for him if I had to.
Gibbs looked up at the young man before him amazed how easy it had been for him to admit that in front of a perfect stranger.

-Hey, I share my secrets with you and I don't even know your name.
-Blair Taylor.
-Nice to meet you, Blair.
They heard the door open and they both turned to see Tony coming in, a huge smile plastered on his face. Blair looked at Gibbs noticing how the older man's eyes had lightened at the sight of this man.

-I understand why you take all those risks,. He is really hot.
Gibbs must agree with Blair as he was unable to take his eyes off of Tony. He had listened to him and was wearing the jeans with a blue shirt that didn't hide his broad chest.
-Hi, are you waiting for someone?
-Only you.
Tony bended and placed a gentle kiss on Gibbs' lips while his right hand was stroking his knee.
-I missed you, Jethro.
-We only parted two hours ago.
-The longest two hours of my life. I was thinking of you in this shirt. You know how good you look in that?
-Did you have a look in the mirror before heading here? Every man in here turned to look at you when you entered. Even Blair told me he found you hot.
-Who is Blair? I thought I told you not to flirt while I wasn't here.
-It's my fault, Tony. You can't blame me for trying to seduce a man like him. But I won't do it again, I swear. You two look so in love.
Tony looked at the bartender with shining eyes. The young man seemed to be sincere and it was good for him to hear it.

-We are, Blair. And no I won't blame you. But he isn't as nice as he may seem. He could be a real pain in the ass.
-It's part of my charm.
-It's refreshing to see happy people. With what happened lately...
-What are you talking about?
-Well, in the gay community rumors fly fast. I heard about those men who were attacked behind clubs. I can tell you that people are afraid.
-Any idea of who did this?
-Politicians are not in a hurry to find them. It seems to be a good thing for them that clubs like mine are not full anymore.
-What are you trying to say?
-I don't know who did that but local authorties are not bothered. They will only wait and see.
-But you didn't close the club.
-No, I'm not the kind of man who can be easily frightened. But I must admit that when I close up for the night I look behind my back before heading home. But it would please them if I closed the club. You may call it arrogance but I don't want them to win.

They drank in silence for a while meditating on what Blair had said. They couldn't find any reason to close their eyes to murder. Gibbs didn't want to give up.
If no one else was willing to do it, they would catch them and put them behind bars. They won't kill again in the name of hate and some misguided religious beliefs.
-You are really quiet tonight, Jethro.
-Sorry, Tony. I was just thinking of what Blair said.
-I know what you think but it's not our role to go on a crusade for gay couple's rights. We have murderers to catch.
-What a wise man you are, Tony.
-Don't forget I'm your guardian angel.

They kissed trying not to forget why they were there. It was hard for them to stay aware of their surroundings while they were so close.
They heard the door open and saw two men enter the club. They didn't seem to be really at ease here but it was not enough for them to be the killers. Something in their behaviour rang a bell in Gibbs' mind. They had seen them kiss and the taller was looking at them.

-Kate, can you hear me?
-Loud and clear, boss.
-Have you seen the two men that just entered?
-Yes, they parked their car near us.
-Were they alone?
-There is no one else in the car.
-Thanks, Kate. Stay in contact.

Blair had listened carefully to the exchange and he felt that the two men were not here only to drink a beer. Blair had also noticed the strange behaviour.
-Those two seem to be jealous.
-Have you seen them here before?
-I don't think so. It seems to be the day for new customers.
They were here for two hours now, talking, kissing. The other two hadn't moved from their seats and the club was now crowded. They hadn't taken their eyes off the two special agents.
-It's time for me to go. Keep an eye on those two for me.

Tony caught Gibbs' hand.
-Be careful, love.
-Give me ten minutes and if you don't hear the signal go out to Kate and Mc Gee.
Gibbs headed to the door after waving good bye to Blair. Tony tried to concentrate on their suspects. Something was bothering him and he couldn't really say what it was. The two men didn't make a move to follow Gibbs and Tony was a bit reassured that they could have been wrong.
-You seem to be worried. You think it's them?
-What?

Tony was stunned by Blair's question.
-You know, a bartender must know how to judge people quickly. And I can tell that you and Gunny are not what you told me. Your questions were too precise to be innocent. You investigating those muders?
-One of the victims was a Second Lieutenant in the Marines. We are NCIS' agents.
-You two are good actors. I was sure you two were together.
-We are, Blair. You can't pretend love even for good actors.
-To be honest I didn't say the truth to you. I had seen them before. I didn't remember at first because there was two other men with them. But they were here yesterday. I didn't see them tonight.
-What? You are telling me that those two were here yesterday with two other men?
-Yes, they stayed there, drank beers.
-Look around and tell me if you can see them somewhere. T's important, Blair.
The young man looked around searching for the men he had seen the day before.
-No, Tony they are not here.
-Kate, can you hear me.
-Yeah, Tony. what's up? I thought Gibbs would go out at ten?
-You didn't see him? Shit.

Tony could feel his blood freeze in his veins. There was four killers. He understood at that time what their plan was. Those two were there to choose the victim while the others waited for him to go out. He must warn Gibbs. He had gone out five minutes ago and Kate han't seen him yet. He tried to run out of the club but he was slowed by the crowd. He had to go out and find him.
His heart was beating hard in his chest. He was so scared of what he would find outside. It took him what looked like an eternity to go out. As he opened the door the fresh air surprised him.

-Kate, Mc Gee. Something has gone wrong. There are four. Two of them are inside in the right corner. Mc Gee go and get them. If you need help, ask the bartender, his name is Blair. Kate with me in the alley.

Tony saw them run out of the car but he was already hurrying into the alley. He heard Gibbs before seeing him and what he heard made him dizzy. The man he loved was in pain and he hadn't been able to protect him. He had promised him nobody would hurt him anymore. Now he was here in this dark alley. What they had feared the most was happening and he couldn't run fast enough.They had been fooled by those bastards.

He had to save him. He saw that Kate was handing him something and without thinking he took it. He was relieved to feel the gun in his hand. He was not prepared for what he saw when he entered the alley. Gibbs was already on the floor trying to protect himself with his arms while they were hitting him with a baseball bat.

-Drop that bat or I swear I will kill you two.

Kate was behind him with two other men. The agressors looked up at them and saw they had no chance. They raised their hands after having thrown away their weapons. Tony couldn't move, his finger was still on the trigger. Kate went to his side putting a hand on his arm.

-We caught them, Tony. it's over now. I called an ambulance and Ducky will soon be here.
-They killed him.
He wasn't really aware of what he was saying. He couldn't look at Gibbs.
Tony finally found the will power to go to him and kneel beside him. He was covered with blood and he couldn't feel a pulse. A sudden panic was preventing him from breathing. He was so still. Tony heard Ducky's voice but he couldn't understand what the ME was saying. He realised that he was in the way.

-Let me take care of him, Anthony.
-I... I can't feel his pulse, Ducky. I let them kill him...
-No, Anthony. he is not dead. His pulse is weak but I can feel it. Kate where is the ambulance? We haven't much time.
Tony could hear the anger in Ducky's voice.

-Ducky, Where is all this blood coming from?
-He was hit in the head several times, Tony.
Gibbs was trying to open his eyes and Tony took his hand .

-That's it, Love. You must fight for me. Open your eyes. Let me see that you are here with me.
-...To..ny...?
-I'm here, love. I'm so sorry. I should have guessed what they had planned.
-Hurt.
-God, Jethro stay with me. You can't leave me alone, not now.
Tony wasn't aware of the tears that were running down his cheeks.
-Don't ...cry...so... sorry.
-Nothing to be sorry for, Boss. You will be fine. You promised me a real date.
-Sorry, Tony... I can't... hurt...
Tony couldn't help a cry has he felt Gibbs' hand relax in his hands.

-You can't do that to me. You can't let them win. You have to fight, Jethro, for me... for us!
Ducky had already opened Gibbs shirt and began to do cardiac massage. Gibbs' heart had stopped.
-Anthony is right Jethro. You can't let them win.
They were all relieved to hear the sirens of the ambulance and a minute later they were surrounded by paramedics. Tony was sent away so they could work, he could hear Ducky talking to them.
-His heart stopped a minute ago I began the massage immediatly.
-ok we will take care of him now, doctor.
Tony heard the sound made by this machine that send electrical shock. His heart missed a beat at each shock. He collapsed on the ground. The only thing he was able to see now was the red of Gibbs' blood on his hands and the green straight line on the monitor...
Chapter End Notes:
Special thanks to Atymer who beta read it for me.
Special dedication : Hope you will enjoy this one, Love. Don't forget I love you