- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
What happens when a Sentinel met his Guide.
Chapter 2.
The Guide.

Tony was unable to move. His eyes had not left the man lying on the floor. He knew what had happened to Gibbs and he should have guessed something like that would happen. Gibbs had lost the control of his senses.
Gibbs was unable to stand the slightest noise, light or touch. That's why the house was dark and why he was naked his hands on his ears. Tony couldn't even imagine the pain he must be in. he walked to him when he felt Blair's hand on his shoulder.

-Don't touch him, Tony.
Blair had whispered but Gibbs had heard him and winced in pain. Tony didn't know how to reach Gibbs if he couldn't touch him or talk to him. The older man was unable to open his eyes and Tony doubted he had even realized there was someone in the room.

-What can I do, Blair?
-Just kneel next to him. He's going to sense your presence. Let him find you.
-How would he be able to that when he doesn't know what he is searching for?
-His instinct, Tony. Sentinels have an unusual instinct especially when their Guide is concerned. Open up to him, Tony. Let him see you…his Guide.

Tony was not sure he had understood what Blair had said but he had to try. He could stand seeing Gibbs like that… He could feel his pain and his fear. Gibbs was lost in a world unknown to him and he was alone there. Tony walked to the place where Gibbs had landed and sat next to him.

The younger man closed his eyes and tried to remember what Blair had taught him years ago. Blair had always been a specialist of meditation and he had tried to teach Tony how to do it. At first Tony had laughed at him but little by little he had learnt to find this refuge deep inside himself and it had helped him so many times…

-That's it Tony, breathe slowly and concentrate on Gibbs. He is somewhere out there…You have to reach him…
Blair's voice was only a whisper. Tony knew his friend would be here to help them but he had to find Gibbs himself. He had to bring him back. He let his mind find the way for him, his only thought was Gibbs.

At first everything was dark around him. He didn't know where he was but he could feel there was someone else with him. He could hear someone breathe next to him. He had to reach him but he could not see anything.
He suddenly opened his eyes. Blair was still next to him.
-What happened Tony?
-I don't know. He was here. I could hear him breathe but it was dark… I …
-Try to calm down, Tony. He had felt your presence.
-What?
-Look at him, Tony.

Gibbs' face was now visibly less tensed but the older man had still not moved from his retreat.
-You have to try once more, Tony. It will be easier now he knows you are here.
Tony closed his eyes again and let his mind show him the way to his Sentinel. It was still dark around him but he was determined to stay as long as he would need to. Once again he heard someone breathe near him. He walked in the direction of the sound slowly.

He knew he had found Gibbs when a bright light blinded him. For a moment he thought he was dreaming. It was not Gibbs who was in front of him. Tony blinked several times trying to erase the bright spots dancing in front on his eyes.
Ok… He was now face to face with an eagle. The bird of prey was looking at him. Tony was stunned to see such a beautiful bird. His long brown feathers, his claws, his beak…everything in this bird was showing his wonderful strength. But the reason why Tony couldn't look away from this bird was his eyes… the eagle had blue piercing eyes.

In a weird way, Tony knew this bird was Gibbs. Blair had told him once that Sentinels had an animal's spirit. A symbol of their abilities and the way they were using them. Tony wondered how Gibbs was seeing him right now but he forgot about this detail. He had to help him. He had not realized at first but he was now able to see that the bird had not moved when he had walked to him. He had recognized him.

Tony kneeled next to the bird. He couldn't talk but he had to make him understand he was here to help him. Gibbs had always found some comfort touching him. That was the way he would bring him back. He placed his forehead on the bird's head. The eagle tried to flee at first but as soon as Tony touched him he didn't move.

Darkness once again… Tony was feeling exhausted and it was hard to open his eyes.
-Tony, open your eyes. Please, Tony!
He knew this voice… Blair. He gathered his strength and opened his eyes. He was still in Gibbs' living room, sat on the floor.
-What happened?
-You brought him back, Tony.
Tony looked down at Gibbs. He didn't know how he had done that but the older man was now in his arms, breathing slowly, visibly asleep.
-I found him, Blair. It was amazing… I …
-I know, Tony.

Blair smiled softly at his friend. He remembered perfectly the first time Jim and him had met in one of those spiritual dreams. He had thousands of questions to ask Tony but the most important thing to do for now was to be sure Gibbs was safe.
Blair was still looking at the two men. It was obvious there was a strong link between them even if Gibbs didn't know anything about him being a Sentinel he had trusted Tony enough to let him help. And Blair knew it must have been hard for a man like him to admit he needed help.

-Tony, you should carry him to his bed and stay with him. I'm sure he is going to wake up soon. I'm going to make some tea.
-Gibbs would prefer a coffee, Blair.
-He's going to need this tea. It will help him relax. He may be a little agitated when he woke up, Tony. And you should prepare yourself for the hard discussion you two are going to have…
-I know Blair.
-Don't worry, I'll be here. And if he needs more explanation I think it would probably a good idea to call Jim or go to Cascade…
-One step at a time, Blair. Let me talk with him first.
-Of course, Tony. You are his Guide and you have a lot to learn for each other.

Blair stood up and walked to kitchen letting Tony and Gibbs on the floor of the living room.
-What are we going to do, Jethro? I don't know what I have to do now… It's you the boss not me…
Tony sighed heavily. He was now feeling the weight of his responsibility toward Gibbs as a friend and now as a Guide. He was not sure he was ready to assume these responsibilities especially with Gibbs. It would be hard to make him accept who he was and the role Tony would need to play in his life.
He carried the older man to his bed and sat on a chair next to the bed waiting for is Sentinel to make up. He had not cut the contact and his hand had naturally found his way to Gibbs' hand.

Gibbs opened his eyes only minutes after Tony had carried him to his bedroom. The older man didn't know where he was and he couldn't remember how he had ended there. The only things he was conscious of was that he was tired, really tired and that someone was holding his hand. He tried to clear his mind and remember what had happened in the last hours.

But the only feeling that was still vivid in his memory was an intense pain. His breath became harder at that thought and he decided to forget about it for now. He had closed his eyes again when he felt a hand on his shoulder.
-Breath slowly, Boss.
Tony…? What was he doing in his bedroom in the middle of the night? The pain again and suddenly he remembered… He had called Tony and then …nothing.
-Tony…
-Right here, Boss.

The older man opened his eyes and looked at Tony who was giving him a concerned look.
-What happened?
-We are going to talk about it, Boss. I promise. But take your time. What do you remember?
-Pain… I called you…and a bird.
Tony smiled at him. He had not dreamt after all if Gibbs had seen a bird too.
-That's a good start. What happened before you called me?
Gibbs sat on his bed realizing for the first time he was naked. Ok, he was naked in his bedroom in the middle of the night, Tony was here and the only thing he could remember was a big bird…
-I think I need a therapy, Tony. Can you explain me how I ended naked on my bed…?
-I carried you here…
-Can you give me a moment to think? I'm not sure to know what all this situation means…

Tony was still holding his hand and Gibbs must admit the contact was comforting. He had always felt the need to touch the people he cared about but it had been different with Tony from the beginning. The need had always been stronger with him and each time he touched him he had felt something special…something reassuring, relaxing…
Tony released Gibbs' hand as he saw the older man looking at their intertwined fingers. Tony stood up trying to give the older man some space. He knew that sometimes Sentinels felt the need of solitude.

-Tony, stay. Please.
-I'm not going anywhere, Gibbs. I just thought you needed a little time alone.
Tony realized that Gibbs' breath had once more become more labored. He walked to the bed and sat next to Gibbs.
-What's wrong, Boss?
-I don't know, Tony. It's like everything was suddenly too bright, too noisy…
-That's what happened before your call?
-I think …
-What are you feeling exactly now?
-I don't know how to describe it, Tony. And I don't see how you could do something about it.
-You have to trust me on this. I promise I'm going to explain but I can help you. Do you trust me?

Tony had asked this question looking Gibbs straight in the eyes, a hand on his arm. The younger man could feel the tension in Gibbs' body, he could almost hear his heart beat and he knew Gibbs was feeling the same…It was as if they were talking without words. Something had changed between them.
-I trust you, Tony.
-Good. So what are you feeling?
-It's like I had lost the control of my senses. I can see, hear or smell things that are not here. If I concentrate I'm sure I would be able to hear what the man who is in the kitchen is singing…
-Don't try, Boss. It would be too dangerous.
-Just one question…Who is in my kitchen?
-Blair Sanburg. A friend of mine. He came here to help you and me at the same time.

Tony knew Gibbs had more questions to ask but he had first to take back the control of his senses.
-You told me about hearing, smell and sight. What about the other senses?
-Tony I ended on the floor of my living room naked because I couldn't stand my clothes…and I haven't drunk coffee for at least a week…
-I see. Are they still out of control?
-Not when you are here, not when you touch me…
Gibbs seemed to be a little ashamed to admit that to his friend but he knew he had to be honest with Tony. He had told he trusted him and it was the truth.

-We are going to try something…I'm going to go out of the room…
-Tony…, I don't know…
-Let me finish. I want you to try something.
-Ok, tell me.
-You are going to breathe slowly. If your senses or one of them begins to act weird I want you to try to visualize a knob, like the one you have on a CD player… One knob for each sense…
-Mental visualization… I can do that.
-Good. You only have to turn it down if it goes too high.
-It seems simple. I think I can try that but then you are going to explain me how you learnt that…
-Of course, Boss. Are you ready?

Gibbs nodded and Tony let him go and exited the room. He was as tensed as Gibbs but he knew they had to try. He gave the older man 2 minutes but he couldn't stay out more than that. He was too worried knowing what could happen if Gibbs was unable to keep the control.
He opened the door and found Gibbs eyes closed still sat on the bed. He could read the tension on his face.

-Boss?
Tony began to worry when he received no reply from Gibbs. He walked to the bed. He didn't want to touch him but the need to be close and help him was strong. He had never felt something like that before.
-Tell me what you see.
-Five knobs.
-Good. What numbers are written on them?
-7…
-It's too high, Boss. Dial them down to 5 first.
Tony could see the efforts Gibbs was doing and how hard it was for him. Finally he opened his and smiled to Tony.
-Good job, Boss. You think you would be able to put some clothes on?
-Oh, yes sure. I'm ok now.
-Blair has made some tea. He said it would help you.
-Tea?
Tony knew it would be hard to make Gibbs drink tea.
-Tea then talk.
-Deal. You should go downstairs and tell your friend everything is fine. I'll be here in a minute.

Tony exited the room and walked to the kitchen. He found Blair sat at the table reading a magazine he had found there.
-Is Gibbs ok?
-Much better. But I think he is going to ask at least thousand questions.
-I can understand. And there would probably many questions we won't be able to answer. There are many things you are going to learn from each other. The relationship you are going to build would be yours and would have nothing to do with the one I have with Jim.
-I don't understand, Blair.
-The relationship between a Sentinel and his Guide is made of trust and respect. It's something you find in every case I studied. But each "couple" must build the link. You and Gibbs are already close. I could see that when you brought him back but it's not enough…You are going to learn to read the signs, to know when he needs you…
-I'm not sure he would accept my help, Blair.
-I don't think he will have a choice, Tony. You must have noticed that something had changed between you already…You created something today …something that can't be destroyed without destroying the two of you…

Both men had not seen Gibbs who was standing at the door. He didn't know what they were talking about but he had the disturbing impression he was the subject of their conversation.
And he didn't like that. The older man walked to the table and sat in front of Blair and Tony.
-You must be Blair…?
The younger man nodded unable to say a word. He felt like Gibbs was trying to read his mind. He had felt that sometimes with Jim but today it was different. He could almost see the Sentinel in Gibbs. It was amazing to sense so much strength. He realized that Gibbs had learnt alone to use some of his abilities. The man in front of him was checking his heart beat like Jim did when he wanted to know what someone was feeling.

Tony placed a hand on Gibbs' arm. The older man turned to him then back to Blair.
-Sorry, Blair. I didn't mean to be rude.
-Can I ask you a question, Agent Gibbs?
-Only if you call me Gibbs or Jethro.
-Ok, Jethro. What were you doing right now?
-You would not believe me if I told you.
-You were listening to my heart?
Gibbs sent him a puzzled look. That man knew he was able to do something like listening to someone's heart beat and he didn't even seem surprised. Those two were definitely hiding something from him.
-How do you know that?
-Jim does that often…

Gibbs looked at the two men and gave them his favorite stare… the one which means "talk now or I'm going to get very angry". Tony knew that look.
-I promised you an explanation and I'm going to give it to you. But first, promise me you're going to listen without interrupting.
-Tony, I don't understand what this is all about and I need to know…
-Promise first…
-Ok, I promise, Tony.
Tony took a deep breath before talking.
-A long time ago, Sir Richard Burton… not the actor an anthropologist… discovered a Peruvian tribe in which some members were known for their special abilities. They were called the Sentinels and they had to protect the tribe from every threat.

Blair could see that Gibbs was only keeping silence because he had promised. He decided to intervene and help Tony.
-Those men had to spend a lot of time alone in the jungle and with time and generations passing the Sentinels had developed their senses far beyond human capacities. Most of the time they were able to see and hear much better than anyone else.
Gibbs was beginning to understand what it had to do with him but he couldn't see what he had in common with a Peruvian tribe discovered decades ago by an unknown scientist. Tony continued the explanation.

-Blair and I studied Burton's theory at the University. The anthropologist thought that the Sentinel's abilities were genetics and because of that transmission it would be possible to find Sentinels not only in such protected environment.
Gibbs was about to speak but Tony raised a finger meaning he was not done yet.
-And he was right. Sentinels exist. More than that we've found Sentinels whose five senses are hyper developed. Burton had only talked about one or two senses but we've found at least three "Hyper-Sentinels"…

Gibbs stood up. Three Sentinels… He had known for a long time that the fact he could see or hear things that no one else could see or hear was not something normal but what Tony and Blair were talking about was almost unbelievable.
-You are one of them, Boss. The second one is Jim, Blair's partner. And the third…
Tony looked at Blair saying that.
-…better forget about her.
Gibbs was now walking around the kitchen trying to find a way to wake up from this dream…Because that's what it must be a dream… like the one he had had with the bird.

Blair knew they had still to convince him.
-Let me tell you what I think you are feeling. Your hearing is probably your best sense, the one you are using the most. But you can't control them and I guess you also have nasty migraines…
-Not so much lately…
Blair smiled. He knew exactly why Gibbs had no more migraines and he would probably be able to tell him when they had finished.
-Jim had bad headaches. I guess yours stopped the day you met Tony.

Gibbs took a moment to think about what Blair had said. He was about to answer that he didn't remember but he had noticed that Tony's presence at his side had somehow calmed him down. He had thought of it as a consequence at first but he was not sure anymore.
-I guessed right? And I can tell that many other things had changed when Tony arrived. You feel the need to touch him and you are feeling better when he is next to you.
-I must admit you're right. I need to touch him… at first it was slap at the back of his head every time he was saying something stupid… and believe me it happens often.

Tony stood up and walked to him, facing the older man.
-That's because I'm your Guide, Gibbs. A Sentinel needs a Guide to help him dealing with his senses and use them.
-My Guide…?
-I know it must sound weird but I know more about Sentinels than you, Boss. And I can help you control your senses.
-Ok, Tony. Can I ask for some time alone to think about it?
-Of course, Boss. But don't wait until the next crisis. It's going to happen again.
-Tony you can't ask me to accept that so easily. I've dealt with my senses for years alone and now you are telling me you are here to guide me. What if I didn't want your help?

Tony didn't know what to answer to that question. He had thought Gibbs could react this way but he had wished he could have convinced him after what had happened tonight.
-Jethro, Tony needs you as much as you need him and I'm sure you are going to realize it sooner or later. I just hope it won't be too late for the two of you.
Blair had wanted to scare Gibbs and he knew the only way to really scare a Sentinel was to make him think his Guide could be in danger. Gibbs was not different. The older man looked at him and Blair could see fear in those blue eyes.

-What are you trying to say?
-There is something you must be aware of. A Sentinel and his Guide are linked in a way you can't imagine. You've already seen and felt a part of it but you are not able to control your senses and it's going to take time. I've lived with Jim for four years and we haven't understood everything about his capacities yet. But there is one thing I'm sure about; you are not going to do it without Tony.
-I've already understood this part but you talked about Tony needing me. What would happen to him?
-I don't know, Jethro. But I remember the day Jim threw me out of the loft. I can't explain what I felt but I don't want to feel that pain… never again.
-If I understood everything you are Jim's Guide. And you are saying that the link is so strong that a Guide and a Sentinel can't live without each other.
-That's exactly what I'm saying, Jethro…When Jim is hurt I can feel his pain, when I'm hurt it's the same for him. But I'm sure you already know that…

Tony was surprised by Blair statement. How Gibbs could be aware of something he had not even suspected only an hour ago.
-I'm sure you felt that on the roof when your co-worker had been shot…You realized you could have survived if it had been Tony…And I think that's what caused the crisis that followed.
Gibbs didn't reply and Tony realized the older man didn't need to answer. He could read the truth on his face when Gibbs looked at him. They stayed like that for what seemed long minutes. Neither Tony nor Gibbs could look away.

Gibbs concentrated his hearing on Tony's heartbeat…He could have spent the rest of his life listening to the sound of his Guide's heart. He realized at that moment that his life was about to change but he was not afraid or anxious… The only he had to do was to follow his Guide…He was not alone in the dark anymore.