- Text Size +
Gibbs just couldn't believe it !

He couldn't believe the man Kate and him had seen with their suspect, during the stake-out, was a well-known drug trafficker kept under surveillance by the FBI.

He couldn't believe how Director Morrow had ordered him to peacefully – he had strangely insisted on the word – share his investigation with the FBI.

And he couldn't believe he was here waiting for one of the FBI's drug unit's agent who apparently didn't value punctuality as he did.

Sometimes life really didn't like him !


Kate was down in Abby's lab and his two male agents were suspiciously quiet.

McGee had probably finally understood that his babbling could be really infuriating and it was the last thing Gibbs wanted to deal with when he was in such a bad mood.

And it seemed that Tony had finally learnt to simply shut up.
He knew how much Gibbs hated to share an investigation and it was worse when it was with the FBI so, for the time being, he just kept his mouth closed as much as possible.

The three agents were drawn away from their work when a tall, black-haired man in his early thirties went and stood in front of Gibbs' desk.
He was wearing the typical FBI's suit and tie and a totally untypical FBI's smile.

He extended his hand and offered it to Gibbs who just glared at it in response.

" You must be special agent Gibbs. Agent Mark Andrews, FBI. It's nice to meet you."

" You're late agent Andrews." was the only answer he received from the grouchy NCIS agent.

" Yeah, sorry agent Gibbs but I've been delayed at FBI headquarter by agent Fornell."

A smirk appeared on Gibbs' face at the mention of his ‘old friend's' name.

" For what ? A warning ?" he asked, cocking his head in a fake innocent expression.

" Hum… well…" the young man babbled, shifting his weight from one foot to another.

Taking pity on the FBI agent, Tony got up from his desk and extended his hand with a bright smile. He introduced himself to the newcomer as well as ‘Probie' who got up from his desk, giving Tony a look and shook agent Andrews' hand.

" Nice to meet you, agent Andrews !"

" Call me Mark, please !" he asked the three agents.

" Fine ! Now that the introductions are made maybe we could go back to work." Gibbs grunted, losing the little patience he still had.

" Actually, Mark hasn't met Kate yet, Boss" Tony added insolently as the female agent appeared behind agent Andrews.

Seeing her approached, Gibbs got up in an attempt to quickly introduce agent Andrews to her and eventually go back to their investigation.

" Agent Andrews, agent Ka…"

" Katie !" the young man blurted out, interrupting Gibbs when he finally turned to her.

Gibbs, Tony and McGee, surprised, looked at each other at the mention of Kate's nickname.
And Gibbs frowned at the mention of HIS nickname.
They quickly turned toward their colleague, expecting a hint of an answer to their obvious but unspoken questions.

Kate, for her part, didn't pay any attention to her co-workers. She couldn't believe Mark Andrews was actually in front of her. She hadn't seen the man for six years.
At that time, they were in love and engaged, ready to start a family. And, one day, he had received a job offer in the FBI's drug unit of Los Angeles, which was a great career move for him. Kate had been in the beginning of her career with the secret service and so had had to stay in Washington. It'd been, at this moment, they'd realized none of them was ready to give up their job for the other and most of all, none of them was ready to ask the other to give up his job.
He had take the job and so it'd been the end of both the engagement and the relationship.

And now, here he was, in front of her, in the middle of the bullpen ! She certainly hadn't expecting that when she'd waken up this morning !

" Mark… oh my god ! I can't believe it's you" she exclaimed softly, a smile crossing her features " What are you doing here ?" she asked as he took her in his arms.

" Well, working with you, apparently." He gently pulled back to look at her properly " You're absolutely stunning, you know !"

She blushed unaware of the three other agents still silent, amazed by the scene playing in front of them.

" Thank you. But I thought you were in California ?"

" And I thought you were with the secret service !" he replied, sharing an understanding smile with her.

They were interrupted by a sudden cough behind them and turned to see Gibbs with an expectant and impatient look as Tony walked toward them, a wide smile playing across his lips.

" So, hum… you two know each other !"