- Text Size +
He climbed up the stairs of the quiet building for the first time in a while.

He remembered in the past when they were going on a stake-out, he was happily coming here, enjoying witnessing a little part of her private life, her looking for her keys, turning off the lights of her apartment, patting Toni, her dog, on the head and adorably speaking to her with her baby-voice.

But since Andrews had come back in her life, he hadn't been in her apartment.

He just hadn't wanted to have to watch the two of them kissing goodbye, to witness his promise to be there when she'd be back and hers to be careful so she could be soon in his arms again.

His imagination already did a pretty good job, he really hadn't needed to see the real deal.

But today was different. He was there, in front of her apartment's door to talk to her about their relationship and Andrews was no longer an obstacle between them.

He knocked at the door and heard no sound on the other side. He tried again with a stronger knock and still got nothing.

He couldn't believe that, he came here and she just… wasn't there !
He'd had to swallow back his pride to take his car and come here, damn it ! She couldn't just don't be there !

When he'd heard, in the lab, that she'd broken up with her FBI agent, it'd really been a shock to him. His jealous and possessive streak really, really loved the news but he wasn't actually sure what to think about this information.

What did it really mean ? Had agent Andrews found out what happened between them and decided he couldn't forgive her betrayal ? Or had it been her who had rejected him after the night they had shared ?

He didn't know and it slowly drove him crazy.

He needed an answer, he needed to know where they were and most of all, he needed to see her, far from the office.

He was still waiting on the doorway when he heard a sound behind him. He turned around in time to see a teenager coming out of an apartment.

" Hey, you're looking for Kate ? She's on the…"

" Rooftop ?"

" Yep ! She's doing this a lot lately !" he exclaimed before disappearing down the stairs.


***********************


He gently opened the door which, to his relief, creaked with the movement, letting her know she had some company.
The last thing he wanted was to startle her while she was perched on a five storied building.

He found her sitting on the edge of the roof, a cigarette burning out between her fingers, her hair flying in the wind.

He'd never seen a prettier sight.

When she'd heard the door opening he'd seen her shoulders tensed but immediately relaxed when she'd heard his footstep toward her.

Had she recognized his footstep and immediately felt safe ?

He slowly moved forward to found himself standing right next to her. She still hadn't acknowledged his presence but instead she quietly drew on her cigarette, little circles of smoke coming out of the same mouth he had felt on his, the one which had tenderly tasted every inches of his skin and successfully found every sensitive spots of his body only two nights before.

" You don't plan on jumping, do you ?" he asked humorously.

She smiled to herself, slowly shaking her head.

" No, but you could accidentally fall !" she threatened him in the same tone, still staring into space.

" I take the risk."

" It's your life !" she replied, stubbing her cigarette against the concrete.

He chuckled quietly, she probably would do it if she was really angry at him, he would thank God later that she wasn't.

" It's pretty high ! I suppose your parents' house wasn't that… tall, right ?"

" No… but tell me, is it possible that big bad agent Gibbs suffers from vertigo ?" smirking at him.

" Nope, it was just a statement."

" Sure !"

" Kate," he continued and she detected a sudden seriousness that wasn't there just five seconds before " you okay ? I mean after what happened with Mark…"

" Yeah," she replied softly without looking at him " I just realized, I can't marry a man when I'm obviously in love with another one."

Taken aback by her revelation, Gibbs slowly nodded. He hadn't thought she would be this direct but, after all, it seemed that this woman lived to daily surprise him and she always did quite a good job. When he could speak again, he realized he couldn't be just that… frank with her, at least not yet.

" You know, about yesterday… the way I've reacted… it was…"

" legitimate ?" she turned her head to finally look him in the eyes.

" What ? Really ?"

" Yeah, Gibbs. The way I acted, it was not fair to you."

" Do you regret…"

" No !" she interrupted him loudly then resumed softer " No, I should have clarified the situation with Mark before but I do – not – regret."

A smile appeared on Gibbs' feature.

" Neither do I."

A comfortable silence fell between Kate and Gibbs as they quietly studied each other, their eyes filled with deep affection and the same desire they had released two days before, until Gibbs gently offered his hand to Kate who looked at him quizzically.

He didn't answer to her unspoken question and just extended his hand a little more. She grabbed it, feeling the sensation of his skin against hers for the first time since he had made love to her and a sudden heat rose from her hand directly to her cheeks.

They were now standing only a few inches from each other, their eyes still locked.

Gibbs took a step towards her, his hands cupping her face, his mouth moving forward until their lips touched. Soon Kate felt his tongue against her lips silently asking permission and she happily complied. What had meant to be a sweet and quick kiss grew in a much more passionate one, letting each other felt the feelings, the want and the need they shared, memories of their night crossing both their minds.

When the need for air became too strong to be ignored, they reluctantly tore away from each other.

Kate had her arms around Gibbs's neck as he stroked the small of her back in small and slow motions.

" I love you too, Kate." He whispered, his eyes never leaving hers.

" It's about time Gibbs !"

He pursed his lips and disapprovingly shook his head.

" What ?" she wondered, frowning.

He tilted his head and moved his lips forward until they brushed her right ear and answered in a murmur.

" Jethro."

She smiled against his neck and delicately kissed it.

" It's about time, Jethro."

THE END.