- Text Size +
Chapter 10:

Abby watched him quietly, almost as if she was waiting in the calm before the storm. She was right, and the storm was being released in full blast.

"I mean, growing up it was either 'Father' or 'Sir'. Anything else was seen as a sign of disrespect. I dunno, I might of said 'Dad' when I was first learning how to talk, but I don't remember that, not that I would be expected to or anything. Course, it wasn't until I got older that I realized that to call him 'Dad' would of implied something more than him just sharing a part of my DNA. 'Father' was just a designation, ya know? A statement of fact, cuz yea, he's my 'Father', but he sure as hell isn't my 'Dad'. And he sure as hell never showed any interest in being my 'Dad'. Maybe saw me as some sort of project, to sorta mold me into a clone of himself or something I guess. Does that make any sense? Ugh, I think I'm confusing myself." Tony finally stopped, suddenly realizing that he had been pacing. Taking deep breaths he tried to calm himself down.

Suddenly he was being surrounded by Abby as she wrapped her arms around him, pulling him into a strong hug. Automatically returning it, Tony gave in to a deep sigh. It had honestly felt good to rant on like he had. 'Trust Abby to know when to push,' he thought gratefully. He began to feel a sense of calm that had seemed to elude him since last night.

"Damn Tony. What a bastard. He doesn't know what he's missing," Abby said softly.

Tony gave her a small quiet laugh. "Yea, he sure gives being a bastard a whole new meaning. Gibbs doesn't even come close."

"Speaking of Gibbs, maybe you should tell him," suggested Abby.

Pulling back a bit, Tony looked at her. "No. Promise you won't say anything Abby. I don't want him to think that I can't do my job just because I never got to say 'Dad' before. God, how pathetic does that make me?"

"First, it doesn't make you pathetic. You're far from it. And second, yes I promise I won't say anything to Gibbs," Abby told him as she pulled him in for another hug. "Just as long as you promise me something."

"Sounds fair," he said.

"You promise to come talk to me anytime you feel the need to rant on again, ok?" she said with an evident grin in her voice.

Smiling, Tony nodded. "I promise."

So engrossed in their hug, the two friends failed to notice as Ducky quietly left the lab, quietly pondering what he had overheard.

Gibbs stood waiting by the elevator, going over his talk with the director in his head. It still amazed him that she thought he was incapable of forming an emotional attachment of any kind, and not to be careful to let it interfere with the job when he did. He wasn't a complete bastard, he was capable of having emotions, he just had a different approach when it came to expressing those feelings.

Shaking his head, he brought himself back to the present. McGee had said that Abby had called Tony down to her lab to go over the proper care of the GPS trackers. He himself had had the privilege of that lecture already. But Tony had been down in the lab for a while now, and even he didn't need to take that long to understand how to handle GPS trackers, as much as he hated so many other forms of technology.

Gibbs was mildly surprised to find Ducky in the elevator when it opened.

"Ah Jethro, might I have a word with you?" he asked as Gibbs stepped into the elevator.

"Sure. I was just going to see what's keeping Dinozzo," Gibbs replied.

Reaching out, Ducky pulled the stop button. Gibbs raised his eyebrows in curiosity as he said, "I think we need to give Anthony a little more time with Abby."

Immediately sensing the level of seriousness from his friend, Gibbs immediately grew concerned. "Why would he need more time with Abby?"

Ducky sighed. "Jethro, I'm sure at some point you have thought about what this little adventure might mean to Anthony. But I doubt you realize just how much of an effect it will have on him. Lord knows, I didn't until a few moments ago. Although I have to admit I'm rather ashamed of myself, eavesdropping like…"

"I take it you heard something that Tony confided to Abby," guessed Gibbs.

"Quite right Jethro. It's good to see he can talk to someone about this sort of thing, but really, I think you need to know about this. Of course you must realize that you cannot give any indication that you know about what I am about to reveal to you, otherwise Tony may think Abby told you, and he swore her to secrecy," continued Ducky.

Now it was Gibbs' turn to sigh. "I knew that this arrangement might bring up some unpleasant memories for him. Since we are only observing, I was hoping to get the chance to rectify a few things that his so-called father did to him," Gibbs confided to Ducky.

"Indeed, although I dare say that it's the fact that it's the lack of memories that may be bothering him," replied Ducky.

"Care to elaborate on that, Ducky?" questioned Gibbs.

"What have you noticed about the few times that Anthony has ever said anything about his parents, about how he refers to them?" inquired Ducky.

Gibbs took a moment to think it over.

"My father was right, I'm gonna end up in the gutter."

"My father didn't realize he left me behind until he got the hotel bill and how much was being charged for room service."

"My father dragged me along on these Civil War reenactments. Got to carry around a bucket for the performers to take a crap. They called me 'little-poo-boy".

Realization dawned on him and came crashing down like a tidal wave. "He always refers to his parents as 'mother' and 'father', never 'mom' or 'dad'," Gibbs said softly.

"He's never called anyone 'Dad' before," confirmed Ducky.

"That son-of-a-bitch," growled Gibbs as he turned to slam his hand against the side of the elevator in frustration.

Ducky gave a small chuckle at that. "Actually, I believe the term Abby and Anthony used was 'bastard'. Anthony said you didn't even come close to being one."

And Gibbs couldn't help but give in to a smirk.

"You're going to have to tread carefully on this, Jethro. Not that you weren't going to before, but now…" advised Ducky.

"Yea, I know what you mean. Thanks for the heads up on this," said Gibbs.

"Of course," Ducky nodded, as he got the elevator moving again.
Chapter End Notes:
Well, I hope you enjoyed this chapter. I know you want me to probably get on with the trip already lol, trust me I can't wait to write it. But I got the idea for this situation with Tony and his dad and I couldn't help myself. Don't worry though, I'm getting to the trip soon! Looking forward to hearing your opinions! They keep me going!