- Text Size +
Chapter 22:

As Erikson came towards him, Gibbs knew that he was going to have to make the first move before he drew his gun. Tony had to be close, so all he had to do was keep Erikson occupied long enough for Tony to be able to make a move. Palming the knife in his hand, Gibbs waited for Erikson to move a little bit closer.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

As he sprinted towards the camp Tony hoped that Erikson was distracted enough yelling at Gibbs that he wouldn't hear him approach. Tony pulled out his gun as he approached the tent, just in time to see Erikson stop in front of Gibbs.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

"You sure do make a lot of threats, but I have yet to see you follow through with any of them," taunted Gibbs.

"And the fact that your son is dead isn't enough proof!" shouted Erikson.

"I believe it was you who said that you were only trying to give him and the others a scare, that he was being stupid. Sounds to me like it was a lucky shot," continued Gibbs, noticing movement behind Erikson out of the corner of his eye. All he had to do was keep Erikson's attention on him so Tony could get a little bit closer.

"A lucky shot you say? Well, let's see how lucky you are then," Erikson snarled as he reached and drew his gun.

"Well, you know what they say, like father like son," Tony said as he pointed his gun at Erikson.

Completely forgetting about Gibbs, Erikson whipped around and stared at Tony, holding his own gun at the ready. Ignoring the gasps coming from the other side of the camp, Gibbs took advantage of the situation and launched himself at Erikson, tackling him to the ground before he had a chance to react.

Using the knife Tony had given him, Gibbs stabbed Erikson in the upper right arm, which caused him to drop his gun. Unfortunately, that did not entirely slow him down. Erikson slammed the back of his head right into Gibbs' nose, breaking it with a sickening crunch. Momentarily stunned and struggling to breath as blood poured from his nose, Gibbs barely saw Tony kick Erikson's gun out of the way.

Elbowing Gibbs in the stomach with his left arm, Erikson quickly broke free and struggled to stand up. Before he was even on his knees, Tony grabbed his right arm with one hand and put pressure on his wound, which caused Erikson to land face first in the dirt. Tony moved behind him to restrain him, but Erikson rolled to his side, taking Tony with him.

Not wanting to risk Erikson getting hold of his gun, Tony managed to toss it towards Gibbs as they rolled. He kept his grip on Erikson's arm and leaned into the momentum of the roll Erikson had started in an attempt to get out from under him.

Gibbs hastily picked up the gun and stood up to see Tony and Erikson stop a few feet away, with Erikson pinned underneath Tony. But Tony was struggling to maintain his grip again, his one hand now covered in Erikson's blood.

"Enough, Erikson! It's over," shouted Gibbs as approached the pair, gun aimed at Erikson.

"No! I won't go to prison for this!" Erikson cried out. Without warning, Erikson kicked up his legs and the heels of his feet slammed into Tony's back. Gasping in pain, Tony unintentionally loosened his grip on Erikson. In an attempt to regain the upper hand, Erikson attempted to maneuver Tony in front of him to use as a shield.

Realizing what Erikson was trying to do, Tony managed to slam his fist into Erikson's arm, hoping to once more cause enough pain to distract the man. In reaction to the pain, Erikson lost his hold of Tony, who dropped to the ground and heard the sound of a gun being fired.

Gibbs had seen Erikson's intentions and had realized that by continuing to try to take Erikson alive could result in more injuries for Tony and himself. As soon as Tony had hit the ground and was in the clear, Gibbs had taken his shot. Erikson now lay on the ground with a bullet through his head.

Tony glanced over at Erikson, and sighed in relief. He wasn't sure how much more he had left in him and as he turned to look at Gibbs, it seemed he might not have had much either, if the blood pouring down his face was anything to go by.

"You ok?" Gibbs questioned Tony as he lowered his arms, still feeling a rush of adrenaline from the fight after being restrained for so long.

"Better now that he's taken care of," answered Tony, who wasn't ready to admit how bad he felt. "How about you?"

Gibbs nodded his response, wiping his nose with the sleeve of his shirt. It was obvious to him that Tony had sidestepped his question, but understood where Tony was coming from. There was still a lot left to do before they could think about relaxing any.

"Hey! If you two are done playing gladiator, how about untying us?" shouted Gary from across the camp. "We wouldn't mind stretching our legs either!"

Gibbs and Tony laughed at the remark. Gibbs offered a hand down to Tony, who gladly took it. After checking once more to make sure Erikson was no longer a threat, they made there way over to the others.

Pulling out his own knife, Gibbs began to cut through the ropes that bound them to the tree.

"Don't suppose you know where mine went, do you?" Tony asked.

"It's evidence now. Just untie their wrists," Gibbs instructed as he freed Gary first.

"Which means I won't get it back," Tony groaned as he began to work on the knots.

"I'll get you another one," Gibbs said.

"Uhh, is there something you two want to share with the rest of the group?" asked Gary as he rubbed his wrists once Tony had finished.

"I for one want to know how the hell you survived," Ray said to Tony as Gibbs finished his binds against the tree.

"Forget about story telling, Myers is still out there," Jim spoke up.

"And who knows how many more psychos might be running around out here," added Jason. By now Gibbs had freed the rest and was helping to release them of their binds around their wrists.

"I took care of Myers already," Tony informed them.

"Which leads me back to my question, is there something you two want to tell us?" Gary asked curiously.

At that moment Tony realized that Gibbs must have maintained their cover after he took his swim. 'Makes sense,' Tony thought to himself. It was one of Gibbs' few advantages at the time, there would be no reason for him to reveal himself.

"Special Agents Jethro Gibbs and Tony Dinozzo, Naval Criminal Investigative Service," Gibbs announced. Both Gibbs and Tony waited, as their companions took in the new information. Not surprisingly, it was Gary who spoke first.

"So, you mean to tell me that you guys were working some sort of covert operation then? And let civilian's tag along? What kind of government agency does that?"

The rest of the group turned and stared at Gibbs and Tony, waiting for an answer. Gary's tone was borderline accusing, but he had stated the facts as he saw them. Neither Gibbs nor Tony could blame him or anyone else if they were pissed.

"We were here only to observe Erikson and Myers. They were suspected of drug trafficking by the FBI," Tony began.

"This was supposed to be like any other tour that they have given. The FBI needed more proof, we were here to try to get it," Gibbs continued. "We had no intention of confronting them unless they proved to be a threat to the group."

Everyone studied the federal agents for a few minutes, trying to decide whether or not they were telling the truth. Finally, they all seemed to come to an agreement.

"Shit happens," Jim said.

"You guys need to clean up a bit, get your injuries checked over," observed Gary.

"And I still want to know what the hell happened to you," Ray said pointedly at Tony.

"For real. What kind of training does NCIS make you go through anyway?" inquired Jason.

Tony laughed. "It's a long story."

"We should go get Myers first," Gibbs said.

"Yea," agreed Tony tiredly. He was not looking forward to the hike. "I tied him up pretty good, but there's no telling how resourceful he is."

Gibbs looked at Tony, really looked at him. He looked beyond exhausted and there was no telling how many injuries, minor or not, he was hiding. Because Tony was wearing a T-shirt, Gibbs was able to see several bruises covering his arms. There was also blood on his shirt as well from where he had gotten shot. Tony had said it was a scratch, but even bullet burns could become serious if they weren't properly treated.

"Why don't you two give yourselves a few minutes to regroup?" Gary suggested who gave Gibbs a look. Seems he wasn't the only one to pick up on Tony's condition.

"Yea, and maybe wash off a bit? Sorry to say Gibbs, but you look like crap," Jim said with a small chuckle.

"Sounds like a plan," agreed Gibbs with a small smile. He turned and headed towards the river, indicating to Tony that he should follow.

"Ray, help me get all the first aide kit supplies together," Gary said, unaware that Gibbs and Tony heard him.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Down at the water, Gibbs splashed his face with the cool water, rinsing off the blood from his broken nose. Out of the corner of his eye he watched Tony carefully as the younger man kneeled down and cleaned Erikson's blood off his hand and splashed some water on his own face. He was moving slowly, and seemed to be trying very hard not to wince in pain.

"You sure you're ok, Tony?" Gibbs asked, knowing how good Tony was at concealing his injuries.

Tony sighed and nodded. "It's just been rough."

"That's putting it mildly," Gibbs said lightly as he stood. "Come on, we better get back before Gary sends down a search party. No doubt he's waiting to ambush us with that first aid kit."

Tony let out a small laugh, but made no move to get up. He was really starting to feel the effects of the past several hours and his spike in energy was just about dried up. 'Just a little while longer,' Tony told himself.

"Tony?" questioned Gibbs with concern. He saw Tony nod again and made to move to stand up. Reaching down, Gibbs gently grasped Tony on the arm to help him get on his feet.

Tony glanced at the light pressure on his arm before looking at Gibbs. He attempted a small smile of thanks as he tried to get his legs to work. Between the two of them, Tony managed to get up on his feet. Unfortunately, that small movement cost Tony more than he thought it would. He was barely on his feet for a few seconds before things started spinning, and he felt himself falling. Tony was unconscious before he could register that Gibbs had caught him.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

"Tony!" Gibbs shouted as he moved to take the brunt of Tony's fall. Quickly Gibbs checked Tony's pulse and was concerned when he found it beating too fast for it to be normal.

"Come on, Tony. Wake up," Gibbs said in an attempt to provoke a response of some sort.

"What happened?" Jim shouted as he came rushing over, with Jason not far behind, apparently having heard Gibbs startled shout.

"He blacked out," Gibbs said, worry evident in his voice. "Damnit! I knew he was hurting worse than what he let on."

"Come on, let's get him back to the camp," Jim said as he moved to Tony's right side. "Jason, grab his legs."

Gibbs and Jim each draped Tony's arm around their necks and together the three managed to carry him back to the camp. As soon as he saw them, Ray immediately grabbed a sleeping bag and spread it out for them to lay Tony on.

"What happened?" Ray asked as they carefully settled Tony onto the sleeping bag. Jim and Jason moved away as Gary approached them with the medical supplies. Gibbs stayed where he was so that Tony was partially leaning against him.

"Adrenaline rush must have worn off," Gary observed quietly. Upon seeing the curious look he was getting from Gibbs, Gary quickly explained, "Used to be an EMT years ago."

For a brief moment Gibbs wondered why he hadn't been told that, but then tossed it up to lack of intelligence on the FBI. At the moment, he really didn't care anyway, as long as it meant that Tony would receive some sort of medical attention.

"Help me get his shirt off," Gary said as he noticed the blood on Tony's shirt. "Let's see how bad that gun shot really is."

With Gibbs holding Tony up, Gary managed to remove the shirt rather quickly. What they found though made everyone gasp. Tony was covered black and blue and his left side sported a long gash that had started to swell and look red from what could only be the signs of an infection.

Gary quickly pulled out a clean cloth and poured some water on it before handing it to Gibbs. "Here, keep it covered. Ray, start a fire. I'll want to heat up some cloths to try to clean it better."

"Jim, can you get me a blanket? I want to keep him warm so he doesn't go into shock," asked Gary as he began to examine Tony further.

In reaction to Gibbs placing the cloth over his side, Tony groaned and attempted to move away from the source of the pain. Gibbs gently held him still, trying to make sure he didn't injure himself any further.

"Easy, Tony. Relax, it's just me," Gibbs spoke calmly, not wanting to startle him.

Tony blinked his eyes several times before he focused on Gibbs. "Boss?"

"You really do need to take better care of yourself, Tony," Gibbs said casually.

"Huh?" Tony blinked several more times and it was clear that he had no idea what Gibbs was talking about.

"If you were in that bad of shape I would have let you stay here and rest," Gibbs said. "I can go get Myers by myself."

"No!" Tony struggled to sit up, but Gibbs held him down.

"Easy Tony! You don't want to aggravate your injuries any more than they already are," Gary spoke up. When Tony looked at him, he continued. "You probably have a few cracked ribs, and there's no way of knowing how far off you are from bleeding internally. You keep moving around and you could make things worse." Gary hated having to be so blunt, but he figured it was the only way to get through to the younger man.

"You are not going out there alone," Tony said as he turned towards Gibbs again as he started to wake up a little more.

"I can't just leave Myers out there for the wolves, Tony, no matter how tempting it sounds," Gibbs said with a smile, trying to reassure Tony.

"Bugs are probably the only type of wildlife Myers has to worry about getting him," Tony said.

"What the hell does that mean?" Gibbs asked. He figured that if he kept Tony talking he was more likely to stay still, and at the moment that was the most important thing.

"Sort of locked him in a cabin," Tony replied with a small grin. "Managed to find one of those retired emergency cabins that they had out here for hikers before it became a tourist spot."

Gibbs couldn't help but return the grin. "Drugs there with him?"

Tony shook his head. "Followed him to where he made the drop before I jumped him. They're using abandoned train tracks as a meeting place."

Tony wasn't sure what to make of the look on Gibbs' face. It was a mix between pissed off and pleased. "I can't believe Fornell didn't check those out before," Gibbs growled, then sighed. "Well, at least you can rub it in his face later that you did what he and his team of suits couldn't do."

Tony grinned at the compliment and the thought of annoying the hell out of the FBI agent. There was nothing like being able to taunt the man with the fact that he needed their help.

"Tony," Gibbs said. "I still need to get Myers. We can't risk him escaping."

Closing his eyes, Tony nodded. He knew Gibbs was right, but the fact that they had no idea what Myers was capable of made the idea of Gibbs going alone very unappealing.

"I'll go with you," Jim said as he came back with a blanket. "Sorry it took so long. Trying to find one that wasn't damp."

Glancing up at Jim, Gibbs said, "No. You're a civilian. I'm not putting you at any more risk than you already have been."

"Can't be any more dangerous than what I've already been through," argued Jim. "And its not like you can order me not to follow you either."

Realizing that he would be fighting a losing battle, Gibbs nodded. "Alright then. But if I tell you to do something when we get to the cabin you do it, no questions asked."

"Fair enough," agreed Jim.

Looking back to Tony, Gibbs asked, "Where is the cabin located?"

"Just head west. It's a few miles away," Tony answered.

Gibbs nodded. "While I'm gone, you start thinking of a way to get in touch with the rest of the team."

"Isn't there an emergency transmitter or something that tour guides have to carry?" Tony questioned.

"Erikson destroyed it during his rant earlier," supplied Jason, who had been standing off to the sides.

"And there's no way we will get any cell phone service out here, either," Tony groaned.

"Eventually they will have to realize that we haven't moved from our position, but I would still like to establish some form of communication with them," stated Gibbs. "We don't need any FBI agents swarming in here trigger happy."

"Good point," agreed Tony. "You should get going before they get here."

Gibbs nodded and helped Tony into a comfortable sitting position. "Gary said you shouldn't move, I expect you to follow his instructions," Gibbs stated firmly as he looked directly at Tony.

"Gotcha boss," Tony confirmed. He really hated that he wasn't going to be able to go with Gibbs, it was his job to watch his back. But at least he wasn't going alone. It was a compromise that Tony was willing to accept, given the circumstances.

"Good." Gibbs stood up and turned to Jim. "Ready?"

"Ready as I'll ever be," Jim said.

"Don't worry, we'll make sure Tony doesn't get into any more trouble," Gary said confidently.

Gibbs nodded his thanks and after securing the gun, he turned and headed in the direction of the cabin. As he and Jim left he overheard Gary starting to give out orders.

"Ray, collect some more fire wood to keep that fire going, but don't go too far. Jason, get Tony something to eat and drink. He hasn't had anything since lunch yesterday."

Gibbs smiled to himself. After not knowing what had happened to Tony for so long, he hated not being able to stay to look after him, but he was in good hands. Somehow he doubted that Gary would let Tony get away with anything. 'No,' Gibbs thought. 'The real trouble will be when Tony had to go to the hospital.'

"You know," Jim interrupted Gibbs' thoughts as they walked. "Tony isn't the only one who is ignoring their injuries."

Gibbs tipped his head in acknowledgement and replied with a smirk, "I'm his boss. Call it professional prerogative."
Chapter End Notes:
I really am sorry it is taking so long to get chapters out, but with only one day off a week, time is short. I hope everyone continues to read and review when I post though. I look forward to hearing your opinions as much as you look forward to reading a new chapter (I hope :D ) Thanks again and I hope no one is disappointed.