- Text Size +
Chapter 28:

"I can't believe I missed that!" exclaimed Tony as he stared at Gibbs. "Why is it all the fun stuff happens whenever I'm not there?"

Gibbs chuckled. "You act like you've never seen me interrogate someone before."

Once they had both finished eating Gibbs had told Tony about how the rest of the team had arrested three other men involved and how he had handled Myers in interrogation.

"Not like that I haven't," Tony complained.

"I'm sure Abby will be happy to make you a copy of the tape," Gibbs said in amusement.

Tony glared at him. "What's so funny?"

"It's like déjà vu," Gibbs said. At Tony's confused look, he explained, "Not that long ago Abby had the same reaction that you're having now. It's scary how alike the two of you are sometimes."

Tony grinned at that. "Better not say that too much, Boss. People might start to wonder what you started putting in your coffee." The light slap to the head that came after that was not unexpected.

"So when is Sanatos being arrested?" Tony asked.

Gibbs shrugged. "Soon I would imagine. Both the director of NCIS and the FBI agreed that that honor would stay with the FBI. There's not much left for us to do."

Tony rolled his eyes. "Of course not. We do the hard part and once again they get credit for it."

"True, but this way Fornell owes us one," Gibbs pointed out.

"I guess so," Tony sighed in acceptance. "So what's next?"

"What do you mean, next?" Gibbs asked.

"You know, when do we get back to doing our own work instead of the FBI's?" Tony clarified.

"The only thing you have to worry about right now is resting. 'Next' will wait until the doctors clear you for duty," Gibbs told him in a strict voice. Unfortunately for Gibbs, said strict voice did not always work on Tony.

"Come on, Boss," Tony pressed on. "I'm fine. The doctors already took me off the extra oxygen. I'm good as new."

Gibbs sighed. There were days when Tony's persistence was welcoming in a case, but then there were days like today when he didn't know when to leave things alone. "We've already had this discussion, Dinozzo. You will leave the hospital only when the doctors say there is no more risk of infection. You will come back to work only when the doctors have signed the dotted line on the clearance forms. You got me?"

"Not much of a discussion, if you ask me," Tony muttered as he sunk back into the bed.

Gibbs took a deep breath. That was not how he had wanted that to come out. Abby's warning in his head, he knew he had to fix things before they got too far off track. Besides, he needed Tony to understand that he was just trying to look out for the younger man.

"Damn it, Tony. When are you going to learn not to push yourself so much?" Gibbs sighed in frustration.

Tony snorted. "That's rich, coming from you."

"We're not talking about me."

"Oh I see. So you're the 'do as I say, not as I do' kind of guy then?"

Gibbs glared at Tony, who glared right back. This was not going well at all. Although Gibbs had to admit that he shouldn't honestly be so surprised. How many times over the years had Ducky pointed out how similar they were? Even he could admit it to himself that he saw a lot of himself in Tony. Which was why he was always trying to make sure Tony didn't push himself too hard, become so focused on his work that he ignored everything else. That was what had happened to him and thus the second 'b' in his name suddenly became more useful. Gibbs did not want that for Tony.

"When it comes to you, yes, I am," Gibbs finally answered Tony.

The glare in Tony's eyes decreased a bit as a look of confusion started to take hold. It was obvious that he had expected an entirely different response. "What is that supposed to mean?"

"It means that if you aren't careful one of these days people are going to wonder if I rubbed off on you too much," Gibbs said.

Now Tony looked even more confused. "You make it sound like a bad thing. If anything, I'd think people would be pleased by the improvement."

Gibbs' hand came around the back of Tony's head so fast that for a moment Tony wasn't even sure he had been hit.

"I don't ever want to hear you say anything like that again, understand?" Gibbs snapped. Tony sat there, not quite sure what to make of what Gibbs meant.

Taking Tony's momentary shock of silence, Gibbs pressed forward. "There is nothing that you have to change about yourself, Tony. All I meant was that I didn't want you to turn into a bastard like me from pushing too hard and getting too focused on work."

He paused then, to let his words sink in. "With the exception of maybe Abby, I don't think I have to worry about anyone accusing me of focusing too hard on work," Tony spoke quietly after a minute.

"That might have something to do with the fact that she also knows about the midnight hours you put in during the week," Gibbs pointed out.

At that Tony had the grace to look mildly embarrassed. "It's not that often…" he said in a failed attempt to pass it off as nothing.

"I may stay past normal hours, but at least when I go home I stay there," Gibbs said.

"Yeah well, I don't have a basement to exorcise my demons in, so work it is," Tony admitted calmly as he turned to stare out the window in his room.

Gibbs considered that new bit of information for a moment, before letting a small smile form. Abby had told him not to shut Tony out now that they were going to get back to what settled for a 'normal' routine around here, and Tony had inadvertently presented a way to avoid that from happening.

"If you're looking for a way to exorcise your demons, then come over and give me a hand with the boat once in a while," Gibbs offered.

Tony looked back at him and gave him a calculating look. "I don't know the first thing about building a boat."

"Then learning will be a good distraction from whatever it is that you are trying to keep buried," Gibbs pointed out.

Tony paused to consider what was said to him before allowing a smirk to appear on his face. "Aren't you afraid that will turn me into you even more?"

Gibbs grinned. "According to some people I know it's too late for that."

Tony nodded. "I hear you on that one."

Now it was Gibbs' turn to look confused. "Care to elaborate?"

"Ducky hinted at things a few times," Tony began. "But once he actually came right out and said that several years ago you were a lot like me."

Gibbs laughed. "He would know."

"Wait, you mean he was serious?" Tony questioned. "I thought he was pulling my leg."

"Yes, he was serious. And a lot like you do now I pushed myself to get back to work too soon and spent one too many extra hours working relentlessly," Gibbs told him. "Hence the three ex-wives."

Tony's eyes widened as he said, "So…"

"Yes," Gibbs confirmed. He was finally seeing that his point was beginning to be understood. "I promised I would get you out of the hospital as soon as possible, Tony, but I'm not going to push for your release too early, either."

"Ok," Tony said with a sigh before asking, "Um, did you really mean when you said I could help with the boat?"

"When have I ever said something and then taken it back?" Gibbs countered.

Tony shrugged. "First time for everything." The expression Tony had on his face told Gibbs that it was something he had gotten used to from other people.

"Not from me there isn't," Gibbs insisted.

Tony studied him for a moment before giving a small smile. "Ok, cool."

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

"Oh wow, Tony definitely needs to see this," exclaimed Abby as she finished watching the interrogation tape.

"It will certainly keep him occupied a bit at the hospital," Ducky remarked with a chuckle.

"How do you think they are doing?" Abby asked as she began to make a copy.

"I'm sure they are fine," Ducky assured her. "This mission has done a great deal for them."

"I know," Abby said with a sigh. "I guess I just can't help but worry. What makes you so sure, anyway?"

Ducky smiled. "In this particular matter I have a feeling we both know more than we let on."

Abby gave him a curious look. "Maybe. What do you think you know that I don't?"

"What is there for me to know that would cause you to worry about?" countered Ducky.

"Now you're just trying to confuse me," Abby groaned in frustration.

Ducky laughed and patted her on the shoulder. "Not at all. How about we both agree to know more than most people and just leave it at that? Does it really matter if we both have the same or different information?"

"Um, ok," Abby agreed as she once again gave Ducky a curious look. "So, you're Gibbs' secret keeper and I'm Tony's?"

"Well said, Abigail," Ducky nodded in approval. "Hmm, just makes me wonder which of us has the tougher job."

"No kidding," agreed Abby as she finished making a copy of the interrogation.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Once it had gotten through Tony's head that Gibbs was serious about the invitation to help out with the boat, things had calmed down between the two. It was then that Gibbs had noticed that Tony was starting to look tired but he knew that it was highly unlikely that the younger man would fall asleep anytime soon.

Gibbs knew that Tony did not like hospitals, he himself shared that feeling. But Tony always let his hatred of hospitals get in the way of resting. He would not fall asleep until he reached the point of exhaustion, which would also hinder his recovery time.

So Gibbs had turned on the news with the hope that the lack of conversation would be enough to lull Tony to sleep. If not, he had no qualms about finding a nurse and having her get something to help Tony sleep.

Fortunately, that was not necessary. Not long after the TV had been turned on had he started to nod off. Gibbs was mildly amused as he watched out of the corner of his eyes as Tony fought to stay awake. His eyes would drift shut for a moment, and then he would jerk awake and try to refocus on what was on the screen. After a few attempts Tony finally gave in and fell asleep.

Not wanting to give Tony any reason to wake up, Gibbs waited several minutes before he turned off the TV. Settling back into his seat he allowed himself to relax, knowing that Tony was going to be ok and that the rest of his team was tying up the loose ends of the case.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

"Excuse me, sir," a voice spoke softly.

Gibbs stirred and looked up as a nurse he didn't recognize gently shook his shoulder. Sitting up he checked his watch, surprised to find out how late it was. He couldn't believe how long he had been sleeping.

"Sir, the doctor would like to speak with you about your son," the nurse spoke quietly.

Glancing over Gibbs saw that Tony was still sleeping before nodding at the nurse who then left the room. He smiled to himself, not bothering to correct the young woman. 'Yeah,' Gibbs thought to himself. 'He is my son, in every way that counts.'

Carefully Gibbs stood up and stretched. Hospital chairs were not the best place to sleep. Wondering what the doctor would want to talk with him about, he turned and headed out into the hallway. As he left he failed to notice Tony wake up and smile at Gibbs not bothering to correct the nurse before falling back asleep.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Finding the doctor not too far down the hallway, Gibbs wasted no time in approaching the man. As he had become more alert his worry had grown. He had thought that the infection was practically gone. Had it reappeared? Was Tony getting worse?

"Ah, Agent Gibbs," the doctor acknowledged Gibbs' presence. "I'm sorry to wake you, but I thought it was best to discuss this as soon as possible."

"What's wrong with Tony?" Gibbs asked, getting to the point quickly.

"Oh nothing is wrong, I'm sorry if you got the wrong impression," the doctor reassured him, not at all put off by the agent's abruptness. "I was simply going over Mr. Dinozzo's records and it seems he has a habit of trying to leave early."

Gibbs let out a breath he hadn't been aware he was holding. "He won't leave until you've cleared him. You have my word on that."

The doctor chuckled. "I believe you. However there isn't much more I can do for him here. I'm actually willing to release him in the morning; given of course he promises to follow instructions."

"He'll be glad to get out of here," Gibbs said.

"Of that I have no doubt," the doctor agreed. "But I wanted to talk to you before I discussed this with him. I would prefer it if he had someone staying with him for a few days to help him out. The stitches will have to stay in his side for another few days, and I don't want to take the chance that he would pull them out trying to do something strenuous."

Gibbs smirked and said, "I was going to make him stay with me to make sure he didn't push himself anyhow."

"Oh, well good then," he approved. "I'm going to keep him on antibiotics for a few days, just to be on the safe side. They will need to be taken with food. I will also be including some pain killers just in case his side starts to bother him any."

"Don't give any of that to him, he will forget to take the antibiotics," Gibbs said. "And the pain pills he will probably try to flush."

"Glad to see someone is looking out for him," the doctor said. "The discharge papers will be ready for you to sign in the morning at the nurse's station. I'll leave his prescriptions there for you to pick up as well."

"Thank you," Gibbs said as he shook the doctor's hand. Just then the nurse that had woken Gibbs up approached them.

"Here is the chart you requested," she said as she handed it over to the doctor.

"Thank you."

"Oh, Agent Gibbs," the doctor halted him as he started to head back to Tony's room. "Mr. Dinozzo will also need to make an appointment to get those stitches removed."

"Of course," Gibbs nodded and then turned to leave, but still able to hear the conversation that the doctor and nurse had.

"Wait, I thought that man was his father?" the nurse asked.

"No, that's his boss. He is listed as his emergency contact and next of kin though," the doctor told her.

"Oh, I could have sworn otherwise. I mean, that man's been sitting with Mr. Dinozzo all this time…" the nurse faded out as Gibbs re-entered Tony's room with a smile. Even when they weren't working undercover they managed to pull it off. 'Even Gary and the others had been surprised to find out we weren't related,' Gibbs thought to himself as he settled back into his chair. He wondered if they would have another opportunity in the future to play father and son. He could only hope so.

"Boss?" the quiet voice from the bed stirred him from his thoughts.

"I'm still here. It's late, go back to sleep," Gibbs told him.

He heard Tony yawn before asking, "Where did you go?"

"Just stretching my legs a bit," Gibbs told him, knowing that if Tony found out he could leave in the morning then he would never get back to sleep. "I'm sleeping in a chair, you know."

"Then why aren't you going home?" Tony asked as he shifted to lie on his right side to face Gibbs in the dark room. "You don't have to stay."

Gibbs could detect a hint of curiosity mixed in with Tony's question. He also got the feeling that Tony was a bit surprised that he was still here.
"Someone has to make sure you are following the doctor's orders," Gibbs told him. "Go back to sleep."

Tony studied Gibbs for a moment before another yawn took over. "See you in the morning, then?"

Gibbs nodded. "I'm not going anywhere."

Eventually they both fell back to sleep. Later when the nurse came back in to replace Tony's IV, she just shook her head and thought to herself, 'Nope, I was right. They are father and son.'
Chapter End Notes:
Merry Christmas to all! Hope everyone enjoys this chapter in midst of the Christmas chaos lol. Please review when you can, love the feedback!