- Text Size +
Chapter 4:

Abby and Ducky had joined McGee and Ziva in the bullpen not long after Gibbs and Tony had gone up to see the Director, which was over an hour ago. Curiosity had gotten to them all, which was why no one could concentrate on any paperwork. "You really think Tony did something?" asked McGee.

"Why else would both Gibbs and Tony be called into her office?" retorted Ziva. "Maybe someone finally decided to file a sexual harassment charge."

"Tony would never go that far! Maybe it has something to do with an old case of his before he started working here? Remember the list we had to go through with that whole Chip thing?" said Abby.

"Ugh, do not remind me. I hope we don't have to do that again, once was horrible enough," said Ziva.

"Well we haven't heard anything coming from the office, so it can't be that bad," said McGee.

"Ah, interesting point. But tell me, being a Marine, and a sniper at that, wouldn't Jethro know how to do things quietly without attracting attention?" Ducky pointed out with slight amusement.

They all grew quiet with thought as they looked up the stairs towards the Director's office, just in time to see Gibbs, Tony and Fornell walking towards the stairs. One thing was for certain; no one knew what to make of either man's expressions. Fornell seemed to be wearing one of resignation, Tony was smirking and Gibbs, well Gibbs had on his 'I am a bastard hear me roar' expression, which was nothing new. But no one had known that Fornell was there, so he was a new factor in the mystery meeting.

Glancing at everyone in the bullpen, Gibbs asked, "Is there a reason you all are standing around doing nothing?"

"Is there a reason the FBI is here?" asked Abby.

"Yep. Agent Fornell has requested our assistance in a case," answered Gibbs with a smirk.

"Really?" asked McGee.

"Since when does the FBI request our help?" inquired Ducky.

"Since the FBI doesn't have anyone fitting a certain profile to go undercover," supplied Tony with a laugh. "Otherwise they would have kept it to themselves, regardless of the fact that there are two Petty Officers involved."

Fornell glared at him, but didn't say anything.

"Oh cool. So you wanna borrow Tony then? What's your cover?" Abby asked. At that question Fornell seemed to withdraw into himself some, and Tony's grin got even wider.

"That's the best part, Abs. It's not just me who's going undercover."

"Ah, so I take it you're accompanying him Jethro? Must be an important assignment, you were upstairs for quite a while," stated Ducky.

"Yes Ducky, I'm going in too. Just had to convince the Director and Fornell. They don't seem to think I am the best suited for the job," answered Gibbs with a smirk.

"Now wait a minute, I never said that," retorted Fornell.

"No, but it was implied," snapped Gibbs.

"So is anyone going to tell us what it is you two are going to be doing, or is that need to know?" questioned Ziva.

"Don't worry, you are all going to be included in this. You will be providing back-up among other things," said Gibbs. Glancing towards Dinozzo, he asked "You want to tell them or should I?"

"I dunno, boss. I think maybe Fornell should," answered Tony with a snicker glancing at the FBI agent.

"Good idea. Fornell?" Gibbs looked expectantly towards Fornell.

"Oh all right fine, have it your way," growled Fornell.

"Well?" asked the rest of the team.

Fornell sighed. "We want Agent Gibbs and Dinozzo to go on a white water rafting trip…"

"Okay…and?" asked the team again.

"The white water rafting trip, it's a…father and son outing."

The team just stared at Fornell, looks of disbelief on their faces.