- Text Size +
Chapter 9:

By the end of the day Abby and McGee had secured a vehicle and had tested all of the GPS locators to make sure that they were working properly. Fornell had sent Agent Cooper out to oversee the set-up of the surveillance van after he had returned from the lab muttering something about cars being too popular. He didn't understand the questionable looks he received from Dinozzo and McGee; but then again he wasn't sure he wanted to.

Fornell and Ziva worked reasonably well together, agreeing on the location of listening devices inside the cabins and where to park the surveillance van. Late in the afternoon everyone had gathered in the bullpen to make sure everyone was up to date on the operation from all angles. Eventually Gibbs decided to send everyone home to get some rest, as the next few days were going to be extremely busy. It also gave him and Tony time to pack and get their mind ready for the roles they were going to be playing. But what they both failed to realize was that neither one thought that their role-playing was going to be too different from the way they currently were with each other.

The next morning found everyone engrossed in going over last-minute instructions, making sure nothing was over-looked. After receiving a lecture from Abby on the handling of the GPS trackers, Gibbs was called up to the Director's office.

"So are you and Dinozzo all set?" asked Director Sheppard once Gibbs had taken a seat.

"As ready as we'll ever be," answered Gibbs. "But seeing as how closely you've been monitoring things you already know that. Something on your mind, Jen?"

She sighed. "This is just not something I was expecting you to do. Willingly working with the FBI without much complaint, well, at least once you were the one going in with Agent Dinozzo."

"And which has you more surprised, the fact that I'm cooperating with the FBI, or the fact that I wanted to work with Dinozzo on this?" questioned Gibbs, his tone neutral, giving nothing away.

The Director hesitated a moment before answering. "This is hardly a normal operation…" she began.

"Your right, its not. All we are going to be doing is observing. We are not planning to interact with the suspects in any way other than as tourists on a trip. Cut the crap, Jen. You obviously have your doubts, but is it with Dinozzo, or with me?" growled Gibbs.

"In comparison to your previous assignments, you and Dinozzo have always interacted as business partners of some kind. This is different. You will be acting as family. Are you sure you can treat him as a son instead of your senior field agent? Believe it or not, Jethro, there is a difference," she snapped back.

"Really? I expect the best from him; I push him so the best comes out. Correct me if I'm wrong, but that sounds like what a father son relationship should be, at least in part," said Gibbs calmly.

Staring at him in quiet shock she said, "You already think of him as a son."

"Yes, why is that so hard to believe?" asked Gibbs.

Giving him a soft smile, she answered, "It's just that I've never seen you so close to someone before, someone directly on your team that is."

Shaking his head in disbelief, Gibbs replied, "Jen, he's been on my team for nearly five years…"

"Stan Burley was on your team for five years," interrupted Jen. "I doubt you've kept in touch with him. No, it's different with Dinozzo, I can tell. I know you, Jethro. It's been a few years since we've worked together, but I can read between the lines."

Giving her a half smile, he admitted, "He reminds me of myself."

Chuckling softly, Jen said, "Well, at least now I have a better understanding of why you go all papa grizzly bear whenever something bad happens to him, and why you're listed as his next of kin."

"I see you've taken the time to read through some files," observed Gibbs. "Then you know that from the first time he was injured working here, that he doesn't have anyone who gives a damn about what happens to him."

"I do," Jen replied. "Just be careful, Jethro. Don't let your personal feelings distract you."

"And when have you ever known me not to be careful?" he asked.

"I'd bet good money that you have ulterior motives for this trip besides spying on some Petty Officers," Jen replied with a knowing grin.

Returning the grin, Gibbs answered, "I am neither confirming or denying anything."

"And please, please remember to keep the trackers in their cases! We don't want them to get wet!" lectured Abby as she sat monitoring her computer.

"I got it, Abs. Trust me, that's the last thing I'm going to forget," Tony told her. He had been busy checking out the truck with McGee earlier when Abby was lecturing Gibbs on the proper way to handle the new GPS trackers. The transmission looked questionable to him, but McGee assured him that it had just had a tune-up and was running smoothly. All the same, he took the keys McGee had in what he knew would be a futile effort to drive. Gibbs would want to drive just for the sole purpose of having something to do.

The drive itself would only take about 3 hours, depending on traffic, or in this instance, which one of them was driving. He knew Gibbs would want to start settling into their roles during the drive, and Tony had to agree that it was the smart thing to do. That way, when they arrived nothing about their father son status would seem forced.

'Well, with one exception,' Tony thought warily. It wasn't that he was dreading the assignment. Hell no, he loved his job, more importantly he loved working with Gibbs. 'It's just that I've…'

"Tooony. Earth to Tony!" said Abby as she snapped her fingers in front of his face.

"Huh? Oh sorry Abby. I heard you, keep the trackers in their containers, no getting them wet," said Tony.

Looking at him curiously, she asked, "You ok? You kinda spaced out there for a minute."

"Yea, I'm good. Just running a mental check-list is all," Tony replied, hoping she would let it go.

"Liar." Apparently not. "What's going through that sexy head of yours?"

"You think I've got a sexy head?" Tony raised his eyebrows in a teasing manner in another effort to distract her.

"Don't make me hit you," she threatened. "Come on, spill. And don't you dare tell me its nothing either."

Tony sighed. Abby was a good friend, and she could read him like a book. He knew she wouldn't judge him. 'Probably wouldn't hurt to tell her anyway,' Tony thought. 'Best to get it out of my head before we leave.'

"It's kind of stupid, actually. I don't know why it's bothering me like this, it really shouldn't," he began.

"Yea, well better safe than sorry. Tell me so it doesn't distract you later when you're out there in the wild roughing it," Abby said with a grin.

Tony had to laugh at that. "I would hardly call it roughing it, but I see your point." Taking a deep breath he continued, "Well, it's just going to be weird calling Gibbs 'Dad'."

"You're used to calling him 'Boss', that's to be expected," Abby told him.

"No, it isn't that," he said, shaking his head.

Abby said nothing, waiting patiently for him to continue.

"It's just that, well, I've never actually…um," Tony paused.

"Never what, Tony?" Abby encouraged him.

Taking another deep breath he let it out. "I've never actually called anyone 'Dad' before."
Chapter End Notes:
Yea, ok I admit I did that on purpose. I also suppose I should warn you for later chapters that there will be cliffhangers. But don't worry, the next chapter is already in the works so you won't have long to wait, I promise!