- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Tony turns to the one person he knows he can trust.
As Tony drove through the streets, thoughts flashed through his mind. What he had done tonight was so unlike anything he had ever done before when it came to Gibbs. He knew Gibbs wouldn't say anything about what happened, and he was grateful for that, but he needed to tell someone, and that's why he was out driving at 4 AM.

He pulled up in front of his confidante's apartment, parking his car and turning off the engine. He didn't go in right away, though. He needed some time to wrap his head around tonight's activities, how they would affect his relationship with Gibbs and his role at NCIS.

He sighed and pushed open his car door, knowing that he had to do this now before he completely chickened out. He jogged up the stairs, strode through the lobby, and pressed the up button on the elevator.

The ride to the third floor seemed to take ages, and Tony filled the time trying to think of a way to say what he did. " ‘I assaulted Gibbs.' ‘One thing led to another, and Gibbs was asking for it.'" Nothing seemed to fit the seriousness of the situation, though. "Come on, Tony. Think!"

The elevator dinged and opened, leaving Tony no further chance to concoct the perfect phrase. He walked to his friend's apartment, still trying to think of a way to break the news. Then he stopped at the room, knocked, and waited for an answer.

The door creaked open. "Tony?"

"I fucked Gibbs," Tony blurted.

"Am I dreaming?"

"No, Abs, you're awake and I am telling you that I just had sex with Leroy Jethro Gibbs." Tony pushed his way past Abby into her apartment, where he took a seat on her couch. He stared ahead with a blank look on his face, like he was just realizing for himself what had happened at his apartment.

"Well, gee, Tony, I don't know what to say," Abby said, shutting the door and sitting next to him. "I think it's kinda hot."

Tony continued to stare straight ahead. "That's not what I was hoping for." He finally seemed to snap out of it and turned to look at her. "I don't know if I can do this job without him. He's the boss. I could never be him."

Abby laid a hand on his shoulder. "No one's expecting you to he him," she said softly. "We just want you to be yourself."

"But I don't know if that's good enough," Tony admitted, looking at his hands.

"Tony, of course it is," Abby said, embracing him. "You're more than ‘good enough.' You're the best. Would Gibbs trust the team with any less?"

Tony smiled a little. "I guess not." He made a move to stand up, but Abby's restraining hand held him back.

"You don't have to be alone in this," she said, then stood up and walked towards the kitchen.

As she walked, she was suddenly being given a bear hug from behind. She smiled. "You okay, Tony?"

"Thank you," he whispered into her hair, and he had the sudden urge to ask Abby a favor. "Hey, Abs."

"Yeah, Tony?" Abby had a feeling of what he was going to ask her, and she anticipated his next request.

"Can I stay with you tonight?" He still had his nose buried in her hair, taking in her scent.

Abby smiled again. "I thought you might ask that. Come on. Let's go to bed."

Tony's arm snaked around Abby's waist and Abby rested her head on Tony's shoulder as they walked to Abby's bedroom. Tony allowed Abby to climb in first while he discarded his shirt and pants, leaving just his boxer briefs. He then crawled in after her, waiting for her to arrange herself into a comfortable position before wrapping an arm around her and pressing his forehead to hers. They weren't usually intimate, had never really considered dating, but somehow, this felt like the right thing to do, and both of them felt right at home in the other's arms.

"Hey, Tony," Abby said.

"Hmm?"

"What did you tell Gibbs when you, you know…"

Tony shrugged a shoulder. "I told him he had fucked me, so now it was my turn to fuck him."

Abby appeared to think that over for a moment, then said, "Tasteful." The air was silent, then filled with laughter for both of them.

"Abby, I can't thank you enough for…" He was cut off by Abby pressing a finger to his lips.

"Shh, Tony," she said. "Let's just sleep."

Tony smiled, and before she could roll over, pressed a gentle kiss to her lips. "I love you, Abs. You mean the world to me."

Abby's eyes lit up at Tony's words. "I love you, too, Tony. Good night." She rolled over, and Tony laid his arm over her waist. This situation with Gibbs was far from over, but it could wait until morning. Right now, Tony was drifting off into a peaceful slumber, holding onto the one person he was certain would never desert him.
Chapter End Notes:
So, this chapter isn't Tibbs. I can tell you that right now. Not after what just happened. And Tibbs isn't my first ship for the show, so don't expect a ton of romance there. Sorry to disappoint. And this chapter can be taken as romance or friendship - it works both ways. Think of it how you please.