- Text Size +
"DiNozzo! Measure and sketch! David! Photos. McGee, you take that woman's statement, she's the one who found him."

Special Agent Leroy Jethro Gibbs walked over to where his Medical Examiner was squatting by the body lying in the middle of the road.

"What have we got Duck?"

The ME looked up from where he was taking the corpse's temperature.

"Well obviously I can't say for certain until I get him back to Autopsy, but by the look of the bruising around this broken left wrist and the right forearm, I would have to say that the right arm was first pulled painfully tight behind the back, then pulled sharply to dislocate it. The left wrist was then snapped, before the knife was inserted into his throat from his right side. The poor fellow must have been in considerable pain from those injuries, but thankfully with the severity of the knife wound, he would have bled to death rather quickly."

"Do we have a time of death?"

"Well, based on the cool conditions over night, his temperature indicates that he was killed between 0200 and 0330 this morning. You know Jethro, this reminds me of a case when I was…."

"Not now Ducky. Get him back to Autopsy. DiNozzo! David! What have you got?"

Special Agent Anthony DiNozzo jogged towards his boss.

"There are two sets of skid marks on the road Boss. One belonging to the little old biddy that happened to stumble across our marine and the other belonging to an unknown vehicle. Got the measurements for Abby to work out a computer re-enactment so we'll know where the car started braking; maybe we can work out why."

Officer Ziva David chose this point to add her two cents, neatly taking over from Tony as if rehearsed.

"The knife he was stabbed with appears to be a standard issue Corp knife, which would imply the weapon was his own and not brought by the killer. It is still in the body; Ducky will pass it straight to Abby for analysis as soon as it is removed. There is also a small amount of blood approximately 2 feet from where the body was found, so we have taken a sample in case it did not belong to our victim."

Special Agent Timothy McGee patiently waited until the other two had finished before reporting to Gibbs.

"Mrs. Sears; that's the lady who called the local LEOs says she didn't see anything. Apparently she was driving past on her way home from Norfolk and saw him lying on the road. Says she saw the blood and called the police; didn't want to touch him to check for a pulse. She says she went right back to her car and waited there smoking until the police arrived. They saw his uniform and called us. By the smell of her and her car, it wasn't tobacco she was smoking Boss, but other than that she doesn't appear to have done anything wrong, and she hasn't really got anything useful for us. I've taken her details of course, but…"

Gibbs looked around to make sure nothing had been missed. Once he was satisfied, he headed back towards the truck.

"Okay, lets get back and see what Abby can make of all this then."

-------------------------------------------------------------

Okay. Got a car. Now I just need a place to stay, a place to ditch the car, a new car, a new car after that, preferably from somewhere not too close to where I ditch the ones before, some food, and fake papers. Wonderful. I'm screwed.

It's all super-bitch's fault. You know, I have powers too. She's not the only slayer around. I'm just as damn good as her, better even. Yet somehow she places herself so much higher than me and everyone else, and they all fall for it! Precious Buffy and her precious Scoobies and their precious moral standards and doing the right friggin thing all the friggin time, like she's never screwed up. Like she's never told a lie.

I mean, come on B! You're not so perfect! You bonked a vampire and set loose a killer; who knows how many lives that cost? So I killed a person or two here and there. Still adds up to less than he killed because of you!

So now I'm on the run. Dumb bitch stabbed me, put me in a coma, and now that I'm awake she's back to ‘do the right thing' bullshit, like I should turn myself in. That's why I picked Washington. Far enough away from Sunny D that I wont be running into any of them, no demonic activity as a general rule (unless you count the poli's, of course) and plenty of people who can make up fake papers for me. So long as I stay out of the main city, I should be right.

Problem is, now that I'm here, I've gotta sort myself out. Whacking that sailor boy is gonna bite me in the ass, I'm sure. Didn't have a choice though. Tried to leave him, the arm would have been fine once it was yanked back into place, but no. He had to come at me with a knife. He was begging for it, ya know? Couldn't just let things be. Still, would've been better if it hadn't gone down that way. Not much I can do now though.

First things first. Papers. They'll have my prints from that knife, and I'm on record for that accidental staking incident back in Cali. Again, not really my fault. Again, bit me in the ass. Again, all because of the Great and Wonderful Slutty the Vampire Layer. Really really hate her.

--------------------------------------------------------------

"Have we got an ID Ducky?"

"Indeed we do Jethro. For some reason he was not carrying his driver's licence or any other form of identification on him at the time, but his DNA has been matched to that of one Petty Officer Riley Connors. The Petty Officer was taking two weeks leave in order to be with his wife, who went into labour over a month early. The doctors were able stop it, but she is still in hospital on bed-rest, and they believe the baby will try again any day now. Poor child will never meet its father."