- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Gibbs helps Abby decide what is important to her, and whether Faith is worth it all.
Abby had decided that her need for Bert outweighed her need to stay home today. She snuck down to her lab at about midday. She didn't want to see anyone. Most of them would try to chat to her, or congratulate her on finding the killer. Gibbs would see right though her and want to know what was going on. She couldn't handle either of those things. So she crept down to the lab, grabbed Bert, and huddled in the corner of the room hugging him close.

That was how Gibbs found her 2 hours later. He walked into the lab to see if she had come in, not really expecting her to be there. He looked around, but didn't see her, and was about to leave when a loud farting noise gave away her position. One look at her and he knew something was very wrong. She had obviously been crying. She was wearing a baggy shirt and old jeans, with plain sneakers on her feet. She had no make-up, and her hair was down about her shoulders.

Gibbs sat down on the floor next to her and put his arm around her shoulder. He didn't say anything. He didn't need to. The next second Abby was clinging to him like a lifeline and soaking his shirt through with tears. When she had calmed down a little she blurted out the whole story. How she met Faith, how she was drunk, how they slept together, how perfect Faith was, how much it hurt to let her go that morning, know what was going to happen to her.

"…I love her Gibbs! I'm not supposed to love her! She's a killer! And I shouldn't be able to love her anyway! I only met her last night! What is wrong with me?"

Gibbs just sighed and held her closer until she had finished crying.

"You can't help who you fall in love with Abby. Believe me. Do you think if I had any choice in the matter I would have fallen for DiNozzo?"

Abby looked at him as though he had grown an extra head.

"Tony? You and Tony? But…you…and he…and…huh?"

"Why do you think he baits me the way he does? Why do you think I constantly have to put him back in his place at work? It makes things unbelievably difficult, but it's worth it. He is worth it. Is Faith?"

"I don't know Gibbs. What if she was just using me? If she feels the way I do, then yeah, I think she is worth it."

"You know I still have to bring her in, if I catch her, right? She did kill that marine."

"What do you mean ‘if you catch her'? I thought you got her today?"

"She got away. Still haven't worked out how yet, but she did. You might like to know, she was there waiting for you 15 minutes early."

Abby thought about that for a moment.

"Is it wrong that I'm glad she got away?"

"As an employee of a federal agency or as a woman in love?"

Abby kissed Gibbs on the cheek and left the lab. She had some serious thinking to do. She did, of course, take Bert with her.