- Text Size +
"Dr Mallard, we've removed the bullet from Agent Gibbs' thigh and are now working on his shoulder." The nurse says as she sits opposite Ducky.

"What complications did you have?" Ducky asks again.

"Agent Gibbs went into cardiac arrest a few minutes ago. We got him back within 3 minutes but the bullet moved and is now lodged in his subscapularis muscle just in front of his scapula bone, about an inch away from his heart." The nurse says in a sympathetic voice.

"Oh dear!" Ducky says as he closes his eyes for a second. Jethro, what have you gotten yourself into this time. Ducky wonders as he worries about his friend.

"We are doing everything that we can to stabilize him." The nurse says as she gets up to leave. "I will come and get you as soon as his out of surgery. And about Lt Martins, I don't have an update yet. As soon as I hear anything I will let you know."

---------------------------------------------

In OR 1, just as Dr Walters removes the bullet from Gibbs' shoulder, he goes into cardiac arrest for the second time that day.

"His crashing, Get the crash cart." A nurse shouts.

"Charge it to 200 Jules." Dr Walters shouts

"Clear!" an OR nurse shouts as Dr Walters places the pads on Gibbs chest and activates the defibrillator.

"No pulse!" a nurse shouts a few seconds later as another one starts with chest compressions.

Gibbs looks around and sees Doctors and nurses working on his body. As they activate the defibrillator pads on his chest, he sees a light flash around him and then he sees Shannon standing in front of him.

"Shannon…" he whispers in a hoarse voice.

"Jethro, what are you doing, my love?" Shannon says as she places her hands on his face and pulls him close. She kisses his eye lids, then his cheeks and then his lips. Emotions of disbelief, joy and relief well up in Gibbs and he exclaims, "I miss you so much!! I'm so sorry that I left you and Kelly."

"Shhh, Jethro, it wasn't your fault." Shannon says as she holds him close.

"I'll never leave you again." Gibbs insists as he kisses her passionately.

"I love you Jethro, but it's not your time. You still have a lot to do!" Shannon says as she starts to withdraw from his embrace.

"No… Wait" Gibbs shouts as he starts to panic.

"Go back Jethro…!" Shannon whispers as she blows him a kiss.

"Don't leave me!" Gibbs sobs as Shannon fades away.

"300 Jules, Clear." Dr Walters shouts as he places the pads on Gibbs' chest and defibrillates him again.

"Still no pulse, Doctor." A nurse responds.

"10cc's of epinephrine stat." Dr Walters shouts. A nurse hands a syringe to him and he jabs the needle into Gibbs chest, forcing the plunger down.

Gibbs blinks through his tears as he sees a light approach him from behind. He turns around and hears, "Daddy…"

"Kelly!" Gibbs moans as he sees his daughter running towards him. He picks her up in his arms and holds her close. Then he kisses her face, she giggles and says, "Daddy that tickles. Daddy, I love you and I'll be with you soon." Kelly says as she continues to giggle.

"What do you mean, Honey?" Gibbs asks confused but delighted to have his daughter back in his arms.

"You'll see. Now please go back and don't take too long to wake up." She says as she kisses his cheek and starts to fade away.

"Kelly, come back! I need you!" Gibbs cries out as everything goes black.

"No response Doctor." A nurse shouts as she continues with the chest compressions.

"350 Jules, Clear." Dr Walters shouts as he places the pads on Gibbs chest and activates the defibrillator again.

-------------------------------------------------

As McGee parks the car in the hospital parking lot, Abby jumps out and rushes through the hospital entrance. It is late afternoon now and the sun is just about setting. An exhausted McGee calls Ducky as he waits for Stacey to get a sleeping Jason out of the car and then they follow Abby into the hospital.

"Agent Gibbs and DiNozzo, where are they?" Abby asks the receptionist.

"Mam, please calm down." The nurse says as she notices Abby's studded collar, spider web tattoo and multiple braids.

"Where are they? Are they okay? Please I need to know!" Abby demands as she hits her hand on the reception desk.

"Security!" The nurse shouts just a McGee gets to the desk and pulls Abby away.

"McGee, what are…" Abby shouts as she tries to hit McGee's arm.

"Ducky is in the ICU waiting room. Now be quiet and let's find him." McGee says in a stern voice, which broaches no argument as he pushes Abby's raised hand down.

"Oh, Okay." Abby answers, shocked at how McGee is taking charge of the situation. Stacey carries a sleeping Jason in her arms as she follows McGee and Abby into the elevator.

"Mm, McGee did Ducky say…" Abby starts asking and McGee cuts her off as he says, "No. We'll find out how they're doing once we find Ducky."

They have to be okay Stacey prays as the elevator doors open and they make their way to the ICU waiting room.

-----------------------------------------------------

The first thing that Anthony DiNozzo becomes aware of is an ebbing and flowing sensation all around him. As the world finally stops rocking he runs his finger tips over the bed sheets and the sterile smell assaults his nostrils. Then he hears the beeping of various machines in the background. He also feels the various cords and tubes that are attached to his chest and his arm.

Hospital! His fuzzy mind communicates to him. Slowly he tries to open his eyes and is glad that the lights have been turned down. Everything is hazy and it takes a few minutes before he is able to recognize what he is seeing.

"Hello Anthony." He hears Ducky say close to his ear. At the same time he feels the older man take a hold of his hand and squeeze it.

"Du…" Tony slowly turns his head towards Ducky and tries to speak but his throat is dry and scratchy. Ducky holds a glass of water to his lips with a straw and lets him take a sip.

Tony tries again, "Where .. ?"

"Bethesda." Ducky replies, "Anthony, you gave us quiet a scare. This was even worse then the time you were kidnapped and also the time when you were hand-cuffed to a murderer. Not to mention…."

"How… bad ..?" Tony interrupts, as he realizes how weak and tired he is. He notes that his leg feels stiff and very sore. In fact his whole body's aching and he is quiet cold, probably still running a fever.

"You were bitten by a spider and its venom led to the development of an infection that is affecting your motor skills."

"That… bad!" Tony says feeling afraid for the first time since this whole thing started.

"Any…. perma..nent dam…age?" He hesitantly whispers.

"Oh no Anthony. There should be no permanent effects from this. You will just need lots of rest and you will probably have to stay in the hospital for the next few days so that you can complete the treatment plan the doctors have got you on."

Tony looks at Ducky and sighs in relief.

"Kate?" he asks noting that he can not keep his eyes open.

"She's fine but spending a night here too, due to exhaustion." Ducky says.

"Mmm, Gibbs … is … probably … busy.." Tony says as his eyes drift close.

"Jethro is …." Ducky starts saying and then decides against saying anything, as he notes Tony's breath deepen.

"You just rest, Anthony." Ducky says as he pats the younger agent's shoulder and then leaves the room.

-----------------------------------------------------

Back in OR 1, the doctor shouts, "Do we have a pulse?"

"No" a nurse replies as another nurse continues with chest compressions.

"Damn it, charge to 380 Jules. Clear!" Dr Walters shouts as he places the pads on Gibbs chest again and activates the difibrillator.

"Wait… I have something." A nurse shouts out.

"I have a rhythm, weak but regular." A nurse responds in relief.

"BP's low but stabilizing." Another nurse shouts out.

"Close the wound and get him onto fluids with a shot of epinephrine every hour for the next 4 hours." Dr Walters instructs as he sighs in relief.

"Also get a second IV with blood and crystalloids going in his jugular. I want his fluids upped immediately and I want him monitored 24/7." He says as he leaves the OR.

-----------------------------------------------------