- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
DiNozzo tries to explain himself...and his new world.
"Come on, Gibbs, don't you think you're being a little extreme here? I mean, it's not like he's going to throw himself out of a moving vehicle."

Jethro Gibbs slanted his eyes away from the road for only a moment and quickly glanced at the man sitting beside him in the front seat, allowing a tight, brief sneer to flash across his otherwise-passive face. "You sure about that?"

Tobias Fornell frowned at the comment and turned to look once again into the back seat of the rental car, carefully eyeing the silent figure slumped so tiredly against the door behind the driver and studying the pale, youthful face, wondering how things had gotten so out of hand so quickly. One minute they were enjoying a little break in a roadside diner, the next they were capturing a potential runaway. *This* runaway. Staring at the profile of the bent head, Fornell could see the eyes were closed, the long lashes fanning out on the tender, bruised-looking skin high on the cheekbones and hiding the expressive, green eyes. The FBI agent thought he almost appeared to be asleep but frowned again when he saw the smooth jaw clench and the slim shoulders momentarily tense. No, not asleep...and not feeling too well by the looks of things.

"I don't care what you say. I'm taking the cuffs off him right now. He certainly doesn't deserve this...not from us."

Swiftly releasing his shoulder harness and turning to kneel up on the seat facing backwards, Fornell dug a set of keys from his jacket pocket and slowly reached toward the huddled figure, careful to keep his touch light and non-threatening. As his fingers made contact with the soft, brown hair on the downward-canted head, the young man shifted and stirred, slightly raising his chin and blinking sluggishly, lazily, until his eyes remained open. It took a few seconds for the him to recognize the man stretched over the seat and leaning in his direction but, when he did, Anthony DiNozzo let his head tilt back against the padded seat and offered a tight, fleeting smirk.

"So, are we there *now*?" He asked with the barest hint of devilment and then sighed softly in obvious exhaustion.

Fornell quirked his own quick grin, glad to see a bit of the old DiNozzo pop up, and carefully tugged at the soft fabric covering the closest shoulder he could reach. "It won't be too much longer now, I promise. Come on, lean forward and let me take those handcuffs off."

DiNozzo blinked and seemed to struggle to get his body to move as directed but, when he finally managed to comply and turned just enough to expose his restrained hands, he heard Fornell bite out a soft expletive. Wondering what the problem was now, he turned his head and tried to glance back over his shoulder, catching the FBI agent's stormy expression as he worked to release the cuffs.

"Pull over, Jethro."

"What the hell for?" Gibbs scowled as he glanced in the rearview mirror and tried to see around Fornell's body, wondering what was happening in the rear seat. "We've only got a couple of more miles and we'll be there. Can't it wait?"

Fornell suddenly shifted on the seat and reached to grab a handful of Gibbs' sleeve, fisting the fabric tightly, and shaking hard. "Not unless *you* want to explain to Ducky why we allowed DiNozzo to bleed all over the back of this car. I suggest you stop right now so we can check his wrists."

His wrists. Well, shit...

Grunting immediately in understanding, and feeling a cold wash of worry, Gibbs was instantly slowing and pulling the vehicle over to the side of the roadway once again. He heard a soft hiss of pain from DiNozzo and an equally quiet murmur of an apology from Fornell but didn't speak again until he'd stopped the car, recovered the first aid kit Ducky had assembled for them from the trunk, and was moving to slide back in beside DiNozzo, his blue eyes quickly assessing the damage done to the already-fragile skin in the area where the hands connected to the body.

The old bandage on the right wrist looked basically okay, with just a band of newly-reddened skin circling above the white binding Ducky had applied several days ago, but the left wrist was a different matter completely. Very different. Although it didn't appear to be as bad as Fornell had insinuated, there was a fair amount of fresh blood seeping through the thick dressing, spidering down the slim fingers, and puddling to form a dark, fist-sized spot on one of the blankets.

Putting his own hand out, palm up, he finally looked up into the youthful face and spoke. "Let me see it."

Without hesitation, DiNozzo obediently complied and placed his injured wrist in Gibbs' bigger hand, keeping his eyes averted and choosing, instead, to gaze toward where Fornell still sat upon he front seat, body twisted so he could watch the proceedings. The young man offered the FBI agent a wane smile before looking away and letting his eyes drift close, feeling Gibbs carefully begin unwrapping the injured area. It didn't really hurt too much but just the thought of having his ex-boss, his ex-lover, touching him so gently and with so much care was disconcerting, especially after his recent misbehavior.

"Would it help any if I said I was sorry?" He directed quietly toward Gibbs without opening his eyes.

There was a significant pause in the activity on his wrist but, when no reply was forthcoming, DiNozzo sighed and thought he was now being given the silent treatment. He shifted and bit down another flare of disappointmnt.

"Maybe."

Instantly relieved, DiNozzo quirked a crooked grin and turned his fingers over so he was grasping Gibbs' hand, palm to palm, and opened his eyes to look into the slightly startled face. "Then, I'm sorry."

Gibbs quickly recovered his momentary surprise, shot a swift look toward Fornell, and then huffed in frustration. "Just what in the hell were you thinking?"

"I don't know if I can explain it to you..."

"Well, I think you'd better try hard as hell to do your best," Gibbs growled and turned their shared grasp back to its original configuration, his touch still light and gentle and at direct odds with the gruff-sounding voice.

DiNozzo shifted again and managed a small shrug. "I'm just so tired of all this, Boss."

"Of what? Staying safe and alive?" The harsh question was laced with a healthy dose of exasperation.

"No," the youthful agent took the jab with a good measure of self-depreciatory humor, "I'm okay with the idea of being safe and alive."

"Then what is it?" Fornell piped in and both Gibbs and DiNozzo turned their surprised eyes his way. He could clearly see they'd all but forgotten about his presence and was suddenly a bit angry, especially with the cool, blue gaze the older agent was now directing his way. "Look, Gibbs, I've been with you every step of the way, right from the beginning, and I've got every right to know what's going on in that twisted, adolescent blob of tissue housed inside his head that he's trying to pass off to us as a brain!"

Before Gibbs could speak, DiNozzo was laughing good-naturedly and smiling brightly, taking a mock swing at the man in the front seat with his unoccupied hand. "Fuck you, Fornell!"

Gibbs tugged his agent back and tried to ignore the spark of genuine comaraderie he could detect in DiNozzo's voice and actions but couldn't hide his ire when he saw a flash of something heated and intimate flare in Fornell's frank appraisal of the young man. He growled low in his throat and forced his eyes back to the injured wrist, deciding he needed to let DiNozzo explain his warped reasoning to both of them and get everything out in the open. And if, by chance, more was revealed of the true nature of their personal relationship, he'd get through it. Maybe Fornell would back off or, just maybe, it would be the catalyst needed for the FBI agent to start weaseling his way closer to DiNozzo. Gibbs shook his head at the dilemma, finished applying the last strip of tape to the freshly bandaged wrist, and closed the first aid kit with a snap.

"Well?" He prompted and sat back, giving the younger man some space. "Tell us."

DiNozzo looked down at the newly wrapped wrist and took a moment to flex his fingers, absently testing the suppleness and giving himself a moment to get his scattered thoughts together. He, too, chose to lean back against the padded seat, totally unaware of the jolt of pleasure arcing through Gibbs as he absently placed a hand on the older man's closest knee. Gibbs let his expressive eyes slowly track toward Fornell and saw the man staring openly at the hand on his leg, a tight, angry tension causing the thin lips to press even more firmly together and the eyes narrowing with undisguised jealousy. As the hard eyes rose and met his stare, Gibbs kept his cool and blatantly smirked before fixing his blue gaze on the younger man.

"I guess after I had a chance to talk to Abby on the phone a few days ago, I really began to understand what my life was going to be like now," DiNozzo was speaking quietly but without any hesitation, unaware of the tension flowing between his two companions, his eyes focused on some spot far away. "I asked her about some things I suppose I just should have waited to hear about later but, you know me, I insisted and she told me all she could." He paused and shook his head slightly, casting his eyes toward Gibbs. "I knew, of course, what you'd told me but Abby and I...well, she knows me pretty good and knew what I really wanted to find out." He looked away and continued. "Anyway, she found out that my father had sent someone to clean out my apartment the day after he got word of my so-called death...had all my stuff either thrown away or given to charity...except for my car." There was a brief, brittle laugh that held no humor. "My car. *That* he gave as a gift to a business associate, a *female* business associate. Bastard." There wasn't much heat behind the curse but it still struck a cord with both listeners. "I don't have an apartment any more, I don't have any clothes except those McGee got me in Idaho, and I don't have a penny to my name. Dear old dad took good care of that, too. He withdrew all I had in my checking and savings accounts and closed them out, he cashed in the CDs my mother set up for me before I went to college, and he even took the great little nest-egg my grandmother left me and had everything transferred over into his own assets. To top all that," his soft voice wavered slightly with emotion, "I never made out a will...I guess I always thought there'd be plenty of time...so, as my closest surviving relative, he was entitled to the death benefits covered by the job. Hell, business as usual for him. It didn't matter if I was dead or not, as long as he could turn a profit from it."

Both men could only sit and listen as DiNozzo poured out his story. There was nothing they could offer right now, except a willing ear, and they remained still as he continued.

"And then I realized something yesterday, something I hadn't even considered since you found me back...in that place," the young voice was steadily getting weaker and more uncertain and the green eyes tracked to the window on his side of the vehicle. "I knew you were taking me to spend some time with someone Ducky thought could be of some help and, if you found everything there to be acceptable, you'd be leaving to get back to DC, back to your life and the job." His eyes swiftly came back to meet Gibbs' but they held no accusations or recriminations, only understanding and acceptance. "Hell, I don't blame you...if I could go back, I would, too. I mean, you're nothing more but a glorified babysitter at this point." He shrugged with one shoulder and looked quickly away. "Plus, I know I've sure made a horse's ass out of myself recently and have said and...done...some pretty stupid things."

DiNozzo finally realized his hand was on Gibbs' knee and quickly moved it away, shifting the restless fingers back to the security of the familiar, discarded blanket, and working to keep the flush of embarrassment from his pale cheeks. He knew he couldn't look at Fornell, knew the FBI agent would be able to read the signs clearly, and knew Gibbs would be pissed as hell if he made a big deal about it now. Instead, he cleared his throat and pushed himself awkwardly up on the seat, sitting a bit straighter.

"When we got to that diner earlier, everything just kind of washed all over me: the changes in my body, the changes in my life, even the changes in my position with you...with both of you," he added quickly and sighed. "You treated me just like the kid I now look like...ordering my food without letting me have any input, boxing me into that booth so I couldn't have any direct contact with strangers, even wanting to escort me to the restroom..."

"And we all know how *that* turned out," Gibbs huffed and boldly covered the nervous hands with one of his own, seeing the pleased surprise flood the green eyes that quickly found his. "I knew you were going to try something stupid."

DiNozzo stared at his ex-boss and saw the truth: Gibbs wasn't angry any longer...just very disappointed with the choice of actions. Nodding slightly and feeling a little more than uncomfortable, he pulled his hands relunctantly away and sighed again.

"I *am* sorry about that but I did't think either one of you would have just let me take a walk by myself, even if I had asked," he glanced between the two men. "Do you know how long it's been since I've been able to just be by myself, free and unsupervised, breathing in the fresh air and taking in the sunshine?"

And they did know, had counted each and every day and week until they'd finally been able to get to him. It *had* been a long time and, now, he was being taken to another unfamiliar place, to live with another unfamiliar person, in another unfamiliar part of the country and would, probably, be denied the freedom and privacy he still craved so much.

"Tony," Fornell finally felt compelled to speak, "we know this has been tougher on you than either one of us could ever imagine but, you've got to understand, we aren't even sure you'll ever be safe again...at least not until we can figure out who and why someone tipped off Wilson-Halley and until we can get our hands back on Emilio Martinez."

A sharp shiver of revulsion coursed through the slight body but he resolutely held their gaze, eyes turning a bit fearful. "What could he possibly do to me that he didn't already do?"

Gibbs frowned, not liking the the sudden flash of fear or the strange undercurrent he detected in the soft question. There was something there that needed closer inspection, something dark, but Gibbs knew this wasn't the time nor the place to delve deeper.

"He could kill you," was all he said, the bold, hard fact carrying enough power to quell any further argument. Or so he thought.

"I think that was his plan all along," DiNozzo whispered after a few moments of silence and quickly looked away, not able to continue seeing the raw, open concern reflected in the other face.

Gibbs' cell was suddenly thrilling for attention and he dug it out of his pocket, eyes falling immediately to the unfamiliar piece of technology. His own phone, which housed a standard GPS chip, had been given to McGee and was now somewhere back in DC, where anyone looking for him would find it. This strange, disposable piece of crap would get tossed as soon as he got home. Grunting as he squinted to see the correct button, he held in a sigh and hoped he was pressing the right one.

"Gibbs," he spoke into the device and let his gaze track toward Fornell as he recognized Ducky's voice, watching as the FBI agent covertly began studying the slender figure in the back seat. Gibbs saw the dark eyes skim downward from the face, taking in every inch from head to toe, and then lazily make its way back up. "We're almost there now...just a few minutes away really." Without thinking, he reached out and smacked the older man on the back of the head, seeing the startled, angry eyes sweep away from the young man and pin him with a furious glare. "Yep, we'll see you soon. Bye."

"What the fuck was that for?" Fornell fumed, raising a hand to touch the area of impact with a careful hand.

Gibbs smiled evilly as he re-pocketed the phone and grabbed for the first aid kit. He didn't need to explain himself to anyone, much less Fornell, so he just ignored the question. Turning back to look at DiNozzo before moving to slide out of the car, the older man caught the slightly bemused expression and paused, raising a warning finger and pointing it toward the impish face.

"Don't think for one moment I wouldn't nail you either."

DiNozzo's green eyes sparkled wickedly. "Oh, I'm counting on it, Boss. Believe me, I'm counting on it."

_________________________________

Doctor Victoria Sebastian was as an impressive looking woman as DiNozzo had ever seen in his life. Not quite as tall as Gibbs but certainly possessing the same coloring of hair, she carried her trim figure with an easy air of regal splendor: back straight, chest out, and chin high. She was dressed in apparel looking vaguely similar to something he remembered seeing his mother wear, long ago during the time she was interested in learning how to ride, but never had seen her look as relaxed and at home in them as this woman surely did. These clothes were obviously used often and a part of her daily wardrobe, from the wide-brimmed hat placed so jauntily on the silver hair to the well-worn, knee-high, brown boots. She was a tad intimidating to the young man, until she turned her warm, brown eyes his way and offered a perfectly brilliant smile of genuine, heart-felt greeting.

"Welcome, Anthony," her cultured voice was fairly reminiscent of Ducky's but sounded more New England than it did of Great Britian. "I'm so very pleased to be finally meeting you."

DiNozzo took the offered hand and smiled back, letting himself relax a little as he looked into her attractive face, immediately wondering just how much he'd be able to get away with if he turned on the charm. "Thanks for letting me stay."

Doctor Sebastian kept the younger hand in her grip and gently tugged him closer, ignoring the sudden look of surprise, and peering intently into the wary, green eyes, studying the face until she saw what she needed. Her mouth formed a little pout and she tsked softly.

"I thought you said they were going to be stopping to get a bite to eat before they got here, Donald," she directed toward Ducky but kept her eyes solely on DiNozzo. "Young man, when was the last time you had a decent meal?"

"Uh..." DiNozzo shifted under her observant scrutiny and tried to look back toward Gibbs for some kind of support. Doctor Sebastian immediately tightened her grip and quickly tugged his attention back where she wanted it, solely on her. He swallowed and answered hesitantly. "We did stop..."

"And he only had a couple of spoonfuls of soup and few bites of a grilled cheese sandwich," Gibbs ratted him out quickly.

Doctor Sebastian turned her gaze to Gibbs and saw the smug expression on the handsome face. She arched a fine eyebrow and frowned at him.

"Well, if that was all I was offered, I wouldn't have had much either," she scoffed with distaste, watching the smug expression fade, and then turned back to smile sweetly at DiNozzo. "It will be hours until dinner is ready, Anthony, but I have a wonderful chef who makes the thickest, creamiest, most decadent chocolate milkshakes you've ever tasted. Let's go see if she'll whip us up one, shall we?"

DiNozzo had just enough time to throw a quick, confused look back in the general direction of the other men before he was being guided out of the living area, across a beautifully tiled hallway, and through a set of swinging doors seperating the kitchen from the rest of the home. When they disappeared from view, Ducky immediately rounded on Gibbs and Fornell, his blue eyes filled with angry accusations.

"Just what in God's good name has happened since I left you in Idaho?" He took a step closer to Gibbs, his lined face clearly displaying his concern and demanding an immediate response. "He looks like bloody hell!"

Gibbs grunted and cast a glance at Fornell. "We had an...incident...earlier."

"An incident," Ducky repeated the word without inflection, crossing his arms over his chest and tilting his head to one side. "Could you possibly be a bit more specific?"

Sighing in defeat and moving to sit on the big, comfortable-looking sofa placed directly in front of a huge, rock fireplace, Gibbs angled his head and looked up at his old friend. "He's been acting like a complete ass, imitating the kid he looks like better than most teenagers I know, and driving us both out of our minds. We stopped a couple of hours ago at a diner and he tried to get away from us. I got mad, lost my temper, and shook the shit out of him." He hesitated before continuing with the rest of the tale, looking pointedly away from the medical examiner's face. "I handcuffed him."

"You did what?!" Ducky's outrage was evident and, as he took a step closer, he looked down at Gibbs like the agent had suddenly sprouted another head. "Are you insane? After all he's already been through, after all you know that's been done to him, why would you even..."

"I *know* it was a stupid thing to do!" Gibbs interrupted hotly, glaring up at the older man. "But it was either that or..."

"Or what, Jethro?" Ducky prodded when Gibbs faltered but wasn't going to let this drop, "Or *what*, Jethro?"

Gibbs closed his eyes and sighed, shoulders sagging slightly. "I think I would have hurt him, Duck. I think I would have actually physically hurt him."

The confession was met with stony silence. Ducky swiveled his head to look at Fornell and saw the truth reflected in the agent's bleak eyes.

"Oh, my goodness," he breathed and sank down onto one of the armchairs placed near the sofa, trying to understand what was really happening. He looked back at Gibbs' anguished face and cleared his throat. "He tried to run away from you?"

Gibbs nodded but didn't speak. Fornell stepped closer, shoving his hands deep within his pockets, and finally joined the conversation.

"I don't think he was really going to run away, Ducky. I mean, we had a pretty good conversation a couple of miles back and DiNozzo had the opportunity to let us in on what he's been feeling since we found him. I think...well, I think he just needed to get some things off his chest."

Fornell finished and shifted his gaze to Gibbs, expecting to see some reinforcement, and was met with a cold, calculating glare that sent a shiver of a chill running the length of his spine. He swallowed at the primal, possessive expression and had to force his eyes away.

"Was he injured in any way?" Ducky asked quietly, well aware of the strange, silent interaction between the two men but not ready to step into that hornets nest just yet. Maybe never.

"I, uh, think he may have a couple of new bruises, especially on his ass," Gibbs answered honestly, eyes drifting back to Ducky. "And the wound on his left wrist started bleeding again."

"Jethro..." the reprimand was clear.

"Okay, so I fucked up...I get it!" Gibbs snapped and pushed up from the couch, moving to stand next to the cold fireplace and look down into the small pile of gray ashes collected within. "I can't do anything about that now." He shook his head and turned his blue gaze on Ducky. "Tell me what's happening here? Is Doctor Sebastian willing to take DiNozzo on?"

Ducky allowed the shift in topic without pushing any further...for now...and forced a small smile. "I should think the answer to that is fairly obvious, even to you, given the reception she just lavished upon him but, yes, Vicki is more than happy to open her home and share her expertise, though she will be the first to tell you he's much younger than her usual clients...even if he had't been regressed into a teenager. Still, she's anxious to see what she can do and to learn all she can about what was done. She does have a basic working knowledge of Emilio Martinez's research."

"I don't know if I like the sound of that, Duck," Gibbs admitted grimly, shaking his head again. "I don't know a thing about her or the work she does and she could just as easily decide to make DiNozzo her own new, special, little research project, too."

Ducky studied the face of his friend for a few moments and stood to join him by the fireplace, slowly bringing a gentle hand to rest lightly on the tense shoulder. There was more happening here than what he was being told and, between the strange posturing he'd witnessed between Gibbs and Fornell, and now this hesitancy on Jethro's part, Ducky was beginning to think they all needed some help.

"What's really going on here, Jethro?" He asked quietly, pitching his voice for Gibbs' ears only.

"Christ, Duck, we just got him back and now were going to have to leave him," Gibbs spoke quietly and with more emotion than the older man had heard in a very long time but stopped before going any further and tossed a look back toward Fornell. "Tobias, I need to speak to Ducky alone."

"Jesus H. Christ, Gibbs!" Fornell exploded and took a step closer to the two men, hands clenched at his sides. "Haven't we had enough of all these secrets and innuendos? Do you actually think there's anything you could say to Ducky that I don't already know? Do you think I haven't seen all those looks you've..."

Gibbs was suddenly standing toe to toe with the FBI agent, eyes burning with fury. "If you even hint at what I think you plan on saying, I swear, Fornell, I'll kick your ass so hard, you'll be shitting out your nose for weeks!"

"Excuse me!"

A cold, sharp, feminine voice snapped them immediately away from their confrontation and they whirled to glare at the very irate face of Victoria Sebastian. She took a few steps into her living area and eyed the two federal agents with open distain but cast her verbal directions only toward her friend.

"Donald, I think you should go out to the kitchen. Anthony seems to be in need of some medical attention and, although I could handle it very well all on my own, I thought it best if you had a chance to see what was done to him while I have a word with these two...people."

Ducky raised a bemused eyebrow and nodded. "Of course, my dear. I would be happy to check on young Anthony."

The trio left in the living area faced off but it was the woman who quickly took control. She frowned again and shook her head.

"This is my home. Do you either even have the slightest idea what that word means? I do not tolerate violence of any kind and, if you plan to remain under my roof tonight, I suggest you get yourselves under control. You've brought your collegue here with hopes I could help in some way and I will do everything in my power because of the circumstances and because he seems like an extremely sweet boy but I will not tolerate any continued aggression. Is that clear?"

Both men nodded their understanding but it was Gibbs who spoke. "I'm sorry, Doctor Sebastian. It's been a long and very tiring trip for all of us. I can assure you," he cast a quick glance at Fornell, "we won't be having this conversation again...ever."

Giving them both a thorough assessing look, Doctor Sebastian narrowed her eyes and shook her head. "You may not be 'having' it again here but it's plain to see you're far from finished with your argument." She took another step closer and crossed her arms over her chest. "There's a very damaged young man sitting in my kitchen who, from what I've been told by Donald, has lost a great deal and has been treated deplorably. All I ask is, for the sake of his continued well-being and, hopefully, his recovery, you will both keep whatever is causing this friction between youselves unders wraps and well away from him."

Gibbs cocked his head and looked intently into her chocolate-colored eyes, his face changing subtly at her words. "You...you really think you can help him?"

Doctor Sebastian could clearly hear the wistful, wishful tone and could easily see the small spark of hope flare in the fair, blue eyes. She immediately changed her opinion of the man, seeing his true, honest concern for the teenager in the other room.

"I don't know, Agent Gibbs," she answered truthfully, "but I'm going to do everything in my power to try. That's all I can offer you now."

Gibbs nodded. "That's all I really needed to hear."
_______________________________

It was close to midnight when Gibbs heard the door to his room open quietly. He sat as he was, near one end of a small couch placed against a far wall, and continued to scan through the papers Doctor Sebastian had printed out for him, waiting patiently to see the indentity of his late-night visitor...though, in all honesty, he had a pretty good idea who it was even before he caught sight of the slim figure standing in the shadowed hallway. He sighed and lowered the stack of papers to his lap.

"What are you doing?" DiNozzo asked softly.

"You should be asleep," he offered in return.

The figure moved a bit closer but stopped just before stepping into the puddle of light pooling onto the floor from the lamp placed on the end table just to the right of Gibbs' elbow. It was quiet out here in the guest house, away from the sounds of the main home, and lulled by the gentle splashing of water running over the fountain just outside the partially-opened window.

"I couldn't sleep...not until I had a chance to talk to you alone."

"Tony..."

"I'm not going to jump your bones. I promise." There was a significant pause before DiNozzo spoke again but, this time, there was a clear note of playfulness in the tone. "Although, I have to admit, seeing you sitting there in nothing but your boxers *is* pretty arousing."

Gibbs couldn't help the small grin from escaping and shook his head at the young man. "You'd get turned on even if I was wearing..." He stopped abruptly and cut the rest of his thought off, looking away. "No, never mind."

"Tell me," DiNozzo whispered, almost pleading, and stepped closer, his bare feet looking inordinately erotic in the warm, soft glow cast on the hardwood floor under his toes.

Gibbs shook his head again and resolutely forced his eyes back up. "No, it doesn't matter. What do you want?"

DiNozzo was bare-chested, his clean sweatpants riding low on the slim hips, and Gibbs couldn't shake the impression that, in this light, the white bandages encircling the injured wrists looked almost like bracelets or adornments or some other exotic ornamentation designed to enhance the seductive qualities of the wearer. He swallowed the thought and watched as DiNozzo took another step closer to the small sofa, green eyes tracking around the area, and quickly stopping to study the position of the large bed well to one side of the room.

"Victoria said I could move out here after you leave tomorrow," he offered lamely and shifted a bit from foot to foot.

"You didn't come out here, in the middle of the night, to scope out your new digs," Gibbs prodded.

"No, you're right, I didn't," DiNozzo seemed to make a decision and moved until he was directly in front of Gibbs, gracefully going to his knees, and looking up into the older man's face. "I just wanted you to know how much I appreciate you going out on a limb for me like you did."

Gibbs frowned at their new position, immediately aware of the sexual connotations, but was glad DiNozzo hadn't attempted to make physical contact. "What are you talking about?"

One slim shoulder rose and fell. "Ducky told me how you never stopped trying to figure out what happened to me, even after...even after you were told of my...death."

"That's not completely true," Gibbs confessed softly, bending forward to rest his elbows on his knees, bringing himself a bit closer to the serious, young face. "There was a time when I had to accept it, after your father got your ashes and had his little..." he hesitated, unsure of the needed wording, "ceremony."

DiNozzo snorted with a tinge of bitterness. "You mean *celebration*, don't you?"

"It was Fornell who changed my mind," Gibbs ignored the disparaging remark and continued. "He got the ball rolling again."

A true smile lit the young face and Gibbs had to swallow back another unwanted surge of jealousy. He knew he had to get a handle on this because there was no reason to keep reacting to the FBI agent like this now.

"Yeah," Dinozzo's smile softened, "Tobias has been great but, let's face it, it took you and the team to come up with the plan. Right? Ducky told me how you all got together behind Shepard's back and decided what to do." He sobered quickly and placed a hand lightly on one of Gibbs' knees. "I want you to thank them for me, Boss. If I could do it myself, I would but it doesn't look like I'll ever be seeing any of them again so..."

"Tony," Gibbs hissed and covered the warm hand with his own, "don't say things like that."

DiNozzo frowned and pulled his hand free, eyes pleading for understanding. "I can't afford to think any other way. I can't allow myself to hope for things that will never come true. Don't you understand? It hurts too much to keep thinking about what's gone...I have to accept and focus on what I still have."

"Christ, Tony..." Gibbs was appalled. "What do you still have?"

DiNozzo all but exploded. "What the fuck do you expect me to do? Tell me! If I keep that little flame of hope burning, praying someday, somehow, everything will magically go back to the way it was and I can come back to DC and you..." He bit off the rest and pushed to his feet, turning away from the seated man, unable to look in that face any longer. "Shit, it's just not going to happen. I just don't fit in that world anymore and, truthfully, I'm not even sure I'll fit *anywhere* anymore."

Gibbs looked at the youthful figure standing a few yards away, half hidden in the dimness, back bent slightly and head bowed with the weight of the world, and knew he had never seen anything so tragic in all his life...or anything as powerful. Somehow, someway, through all the experiments and tests, through all the mistreatment and abuse, this wonderful young man had found a way to survive and had fought to carry on, to take and accept whatever now waited for him, and was bravely coming to offer his thanks and his goodbyes.

Gibbs placed the small stack of papers to one side and pushed to his feet, quickly traveling the short distance and silently moving until he stood just behind the smaller figure. This was DiNozzo: his friend, his comrade, his collegue. More importantly, this was the young man who'd offered his body and heart at a time when they both needed to connect, to feel *alive* again. He leaned forward and pressed his nose into the soft, brown hair.

DiNozzo stiffened at the unexpected contact and turned his head slightly to one side, looking at the other man through the corner of one eye. He gazed up as the soft touch drifted to his forehead and sighed when the warm breath ghosted over the shell of the ear, sending a shiver of a thrill. His toes curled slightly against the cool, hardwood flooring.

Gibbs inhaled the familiar scent, taking in the soap and the shampoo and the beginnings of a smell that he knew belonged only to DiNozzo. It would get stronger, if he continued this close examination, so he let the tip of his nose glide across the soft skin of the exposed ear, sliding gently, nudging around and over and under. He heard a soft moan and looked at the youthful profile, watching as the eyes closed and the mouth parted, seeing the wet tongue dart out to moisten the suddenly dry lower lip. He pressed closer, letting his chest tease the smooth skin of the smaller back, and the moan became a groan.

DiNozzo let his head roll back, against the solid shoulder, feeling the strength against his length and couldn't help craving more. He snuggled back, hands reaching awkwardly, fingers brushing against the skin of Gibbs thighs, wanting the contact to be closer. Dropping his head to one side, he exposed his neck, offering more, and felt a shot of pure pleasure when the nose by his ear roamed downward.

Gibbs raised his hands slowly and placed them lightly on the slim hips pressed against his groin, holding steady, and explored the soft, smooth skin of the neck. He could smell the arousal more clearly now. His mouth took over, lips brushing and licking and tasting, senses remembering, body beginning to burn. This was DiNozzo.

Raising the hands away from the hips, Gibbs encircled the slighter body, holding tight, pressing forward and pulling close. The body shook and trembled and another moan escaped. Gibbs bit at the tender neck and then licked an apology, only to bite again to feel the younger body shudder harder, undulating against his groin. He held tight, wrapping around the slender form like a human coat, trapping his captive and squeezing tight.

There was a moment of struggle, of discomfort, and Gibbs loosened his hold only enough to let the younger man breathe, and suddenly found himself face to face with an armful of squirming DiNozzo, hot mouth locked to his, lips pressing, seeking, searching...devouring. When that slick, clever tongue invaded, Gibbs bent slightly, secured his grip, and lifted, pulling them flush, kissing back until all he wanted was to crawl inside to stay.

As his feet left the floor, DiNozzo locked his legs around Gibbs' hips and squeezed, trapping his hardening cock and pressing it against the older man's stomach. He opened his mouth as wide as he could, feeling the invasion, welcoming the assault, and wanting to engage in a deeper communion. He grabbed at the strong shoulders as he was carried toward the bed, wrapping around the fit back, refusing to let go when they reached the mattress, pulling Gibbs down and moaning at the feel of the big body covering his. He kissed back, writhing wantonly, slicking his tongue repeatedly into Gibbs' mouth, pushing against the muscle that fought for space, sharing breath and spit and sweat until he didn't know where he ended and Gibbs began.

The soft sweatpants were gone in an instant, ripped from the slim legs, thrown to one side, and completely forgotten. Gibbs shimmied from his boxers, rolling them over, pulling the slighter body on top, cupping the firm ass and squeezing the dual globes tightly. Dinozzo spread his legs and rubbed against the hardness he encountered. Feeling Gibbs pull him in tight, and answering the arch of the bigger hips, DiNozzo moaned. And, oh, it felt so good...

Gibbs hands rose and splayed across the smooth back, kneading with purpose, angling back down. When the big, blunt fingers of one hand skimmed over the crack of his ass, DiNozzo pushed back and spread his legs as wide as he could.

"Do me," he hissed and then bit at Gibbs' bottom lip.

Gibbs rolled them back, putting DiNozzo against the mattress and began a downward descent, away from the pleading mouth, across the arching neck, working the tender nipples until the younger man was cursing and groaning. He skimmed the taut belly and took the head of the weeping cock into his mouth, holding the jerking body easily down with one hand and subduing him with his greater strength. He teased the small opening, running his tongue around and around and around the glans, lapping the thick bead of fluid and sipping it into his senses.

The legs came up to frame his head as Gibbs settled between DiNozzo's thighs, engulfing the hot flesh and then retreating south, mouthing the tender testicles, licking them and seperating them, pushing his tongue lower until he found his goal. DiNozzo cried out at the wet invasion, head rolling from side to side on the thick comforter, and pulled his slim legs up, exposing himself fully to the bigger man.

The tonguing continued, wetting, soaking the small opening, and Gibbs used his thumbs to spread the tight ring as much as he could, keeping the area covered with his saliva. He pressed the tip of one finger in and suddenly felt the tug of a hand in his hair, pulling tight and not letting go.

He eased back and tenderly kissed a thigh. "Should I stop?"

"Please, no!" DiNozzo howled and thrashed. "More...God, more..."

The tongue returned, as did the finger, both working to loosen, to open, to ease the way. The younger body was so tight, so hot, and Gibbs grit his teeth against the sensation, wanting to go all the way in but holding back. As he started to pull away, DiNozzo was swarming over him, reaching to pull him back, fighting with all his strength to get the man back where he wanted.

"Easy...easy," Gibbs soothed, kissing the straining body, and holding him as still as possible. "Let me get something to help...Jesus, Tony...let me get some lube..."

It took only a moment and they were locked back together, Gibbs with his hands and his mouth back between the two spread legs, slick finger slipping in, searching, stretching, feeling the shudder of pleasure rip through the younger body. He ached now, recognizing the need, felt it reflected in the flesh he was tormenting. Another finger, not as easy, the tightness clamping and stopping the invasion, a hiss of almost-pain.

Gibbs rolled them again, feeling DiNozzo rise up, grasping for his cock, slicking it up, too. He tried to slow them down...it was too soon for this...tried to control the joining but DiNozzo was wild, pulling away, aligning the big, heavy cock with his tight opening.

"Tony..." Gibbs tried to resist. He knew he could stop this madness if he really wanted, knew he should, but could easily see DiNozzo's hungry need to reconnect.

DiNozzo pushed down, tried to relax, but could only get the tip of Gibbs' dick in before sweat broke out across his forehead. He clenched his fists against Gibbs' chest and held on. There was obvious pain and it sent a rush of cold spreading across Gibbs body when he saw it. The trembling, young body, so fresh and unspoiled, continued trying to accomplish what had been done in the past and Gibbs suddenly knew it was wrong. Once again, the differences became apparent...

Gibbs groaned and pushed the slighter body gently away, easing DiNozzo from the painful attempt at coupling, his heart breaking at the determined-looking expression on the young face. He tried to roll them slowly apart.

"No! God damn you!" DiNozzo yelled and moved again, determined to make this work. "We're doing this...don't you stop!"

"You're too tight..." Gibbs grunted, growing alarmed at the level of persistence he was witnessing. "I'll hurt you."

"No..." He moved again with purpose, eyes closing, mouth open to help his breathing, sweat running down his face and chest and back. "Don't you stop...please..."

Gibbs stroked across the wet cheeks and dipped his fingers down to DiNozzo's uninterested dick, playing with it gently, lightly teasing the tip, running it over the back of his hand as he searched to touch where they were half connected. DiNozzo moaned and looked down, watching the hand on his body, feeling the slow return of desire, relaxing a bit, and taking in a bit more of the big cock. The moan was laced with only a hint of pain now.

"Tony...look at me," Gibbs' silky voice rumbled up from his chest.

DiNozzo raised his eyes and fell into the sky, seeing all the emotions he needed in the blue gaze of the man he loved. Suddenly, he was there, seated against Gibbs' groin, fully down and filled, unable to breathe, much less move. But it was good...so good.

Keeping himself perfectly still, Gibbs could only look up into the bliss-filled face and wait. His dick was pulsing steadily along with the beat of his heart, sheated tightly within the snug confines of DiNozzo's body, and just aching for some kind of movement. But he held himself in check...and waited.

Finally, DiNozzo eased a bit forward, unclenched his fists and splayed them open on the broad chest, fingertips digging slightly in. He rose and fell slowly, letting Gibbs' cock drag in and out, sore already and not even caring. He did it again and watched the blue eye darken and knew he had to do it again...and again...

Gibbs tightened his grip around DiNozzo's slim dick as the movements got eaasier but, crap, the feel of being in the hot, tightness was too overwhelming and he found himself rapidly reaching his end. He pulled the slighter body closer with one hand, changing the angle of penetration, and met the next downward move with a slight flexing of his own hips, going deeper into the furnace. DiNozzo hissed but responded and they repeated the move, Gibbs stroking the hard length in his hand with purpose.

DiNozzo felt the first tingling nudge inside and cried out, slamming his hips back down and searching for it again. His muscles ached from the strain but the need for competion drove him on. Gibbs was moving harder now, too, driving up and striking lightning, shoving himself as far in as he could. He adjusted his grip and pulled harder and heard DiNozzo cry out. So close now...

Gibbs rolled them one final time and buried himself again and again into DiNozzo's hot, slick body, twisting his entry and pulling at the cock in his hands. He heard DiNozzo's breath catch, felt the body seize, felt the trembling and shaking and writhing and, then, the hot, wet, pulses of come spurting over his fingers, slicking between their bodies, and pooling on their skin. He released the sensitive hardness and raised his weight totally off the spent young form, looking down into the sated face, watching the dazed, green eyes bore into his, recognized the love, the devotion, the caring, and just let go, coming hard and deep and long...

...and, in the aftermath, all they could do was hold each other tightly and mourn the coming sunrise.

Early the next morning as the rented car pulled from the drive in front of Doctor Sebastian's home, Tony DiNozzo stood alone in the guest house and waited until the sound of the vehicle faded away before moving slowly toward the bedroom and letting his eyes to fall on the big, lonely bed. Feeling a burn begin at the back of his throat, he slid down the wall on the other side of the room, put his head in his hands, and allowed the tears to finally come.


TBC
Chapter End Notes:
Remember, DiNozzo is a grown man trapped in a teenage-looking body; if this idea bothers you, DON'T READ. This part includes rimming and intercourse.