- Text Size +
Gibbs, for once, was unusually calm during the interrogation.
"You have no reason to arrest me." Greg said when Gibbs entered the room.
"You were on a naval base without clearance and you waved a gun in my colleagues' faces with intent to kill at least one of them." Gibbs said coldly.
Greg just looked at the table.
"Why?" Gibbs asked.
"What?" Greg looked up, slightly confused.
"Why'd you do it. Why'd you attack Kate, plant a bomb to kill her, attempt to drug her then come into NCIS with the intention of killing her."
"I didn't start out wanting to kill her, I loved her, I still do. But I saw the way she looked at Tony, and I heard the way she talked about him. The baby was the last straw."
"But why? What made you want to kill her and the baby? Did you think you'd get away with it?"
"I didn't care any more. She was the last thing I had, my life is over anyway."
"Why is your life over, you have everything."
"I *had* everything. I had a good job, lots of money and a gorgeous fiancé. But then, one by one, I started to lose it all. Fist the job. I let a homicidal phsyc-ward patient with a gun within inches of the President. The President could've been killed, two of my colleagues were. I was fired immediately. I wasn't too worried. I had a massive trust fund, but then my parents heard what happened and cut me off. Then on the same day, Kate told me she was pregnant with Tony's child, that the sperm donor had been him. I was already a little drunk and angry, it just pushed me over the edge."
"Oh my god!" Kate said from the other side of the one way mirror. "I had no idea."
"Kate, you couldn't have been expected to know."
"I thought he loved me, why didn't he say anything?"
"I don't know but we're about to find out, Gibbs just asked him."
Back in the interrogation room Gibbs had just asked. "Why didn't you tell Kate you'd been fired?"
"I couldn't, we'd joined the service at the same time. We'd been dating since just before she was selected to protect the president. I was given her job when she joined NCIS. It would've been too embarrassing to tell her I'd been such a failure." Greg replied.
"You were going to marry her, she would've found out eventually. Believe me, I've had enough wives to know that you can't keep secrets from them." Gibbs said.
Kate couldn't believe what she was seeing. Usually by now Gibbs would be roaring at the person he was interrogating or at least be a little pissed off. But here he was, cracking jokes!
"What the hell is going on with Gibbs?" she asked Tony.
"Maybe he realizes he can get more out of Greg if he's nice. If he makes Greg feel comfortable Greg'll tell him more."
Kate was half disappointed. She had almost looked forward to seeing Greg ‘tortured' by Gibbs. But, on the other hand, Greg was telling Gibbs *everything* he needed to know, so obviously the ‘nicely-nicely' technique was working on Greg.
"You still haven't told me why you felt you had to kill Kate." Gibbs said.
"At first I was drunk and mad. So I set up the bomb using a technique I'd learned from my friend on the bomb squad in New York but I ended up wiring it up wrong. Then I realized I didn't want her dead, I just didn't want the baby to be born. Then my brother suggested this abortion drug that his pharmaceutical company had just perfected. I was still in pain from where that forensic bitch had shot me so my brother gave me some painkillers and I was able to get to the bar. It was easy to get the drug into her drink, that excitable poof of a barman had been going round all night excited because his friend was pregnant and engaged. I bought her a drink and slipped the pill into it. I was regretting not wanting to kill her, it was a horrible way of finding out how easily she had moved on."
"I'm sure it was, but was that really any reason to attempt to kill her?"
"She said she loved me." Greg was near tears. "That lying cow! She and that baby both deserve to die!" Greg's mood quickly changed. He was now standing up and shouting. His chair lying on the floor.
"I-I-I did love him." Kate stuttered softly as Tony put his arms around her to comfort her.
Gibbs stood up to face Greg. "*Don't* call her a lying cow you filthy bastard. Nobody, *NOBODY* has the right to say who deserves to live or die, especially when it comes to children!" he shouted.
Greg lowered his voice and almost sneered, "They're here aren't they, listening to every word I say."
Greg walked over to the one way mirror. "I'm not going to let that baby be born. I promise that I will kill it, and you. Katie. Then for good measure, I'll kill *daddy* DiNozzo." Greg was laughing almost manically when Gibbs roughly pinned him against the wall face first.
"You come within 100 feet of either Kate, DiNozzo or their unborn child and I swear I will personally hunt you down and make your death a long, slow and painful one." Gibbs whispered aggressively into his ear.