- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
A story that takes place a week after Gibbs leaves, a year after Kate's death.
One Week, One Birthday, Two memories.
“Gibbs…?” Gibbs put a finger over Abby’s lips and kissed her gently on the check. He walked away to Ziva and Abby was left standing there with a horrified look on her face.
1 week later

“I still can’t believe he’s gone.” Tony said to McGee and Ziva.
“Well he is and you need to get back to work.” Came the directors voice from around the corner. “Yes, won’t happen again.” Came DiNozzo’s fast reply. He was used to having to reply fast and had long since given up trying to defend himself especially with Gibbs.
He sat back and let his mind drift for a while. It drifted to Abby down stairs. She hadn’t been herself since Gibbs’ left. She hadn’t been as cheery, she was binging on junk food, and every time she answered the phone she asked if it was Gibbs who was calling. He decided it was his duty to go see how she was doing, after all today marked a week since Gibbs’ resignation. When he got down there he saw her at her desk cuddling Bert. “Hey, how’s it going.”
“Do you know what today is?” Was Abby’s reply.
“I know it’s been a week since Gibbs left.”
“It is also Kate’s birthday.” She said as she squeezed Bert and went for another handful of jelly beans. Tony grabbed her hand and stopped her. “This binging has got to stop. How about we go visit Kate’s grave and give her some flowers.”
“Do we have to call it her grave? Can’t we call it her resting place or home or something, anything but grave.” She looked up at Tony sincerely.
“Okay sure let’s go to Kate’s resting place and give her a birthday present.”
“Cool. But before we go I have to make one phone call,” She said as an email arrived on her computer. “I’ll meet you in the bullpen in ten.”
“okay.” As soon as Tony was in the elevator she called the number that had arrived in the email. “Hey, can I please speak to Leroy Jethro Gibbs?” She asked, it didn’t sound right without the “special agent” at the front. “Sure.” The lady held the phone away from her mouth, “Senòr Gibbs? Phone call for you.”
“Who would call me?” he questioned out loud as he reached for the phone. “Gibbs.”
“Gibbs? Hey it’s me, Abby. I need to ask you something.”
“Abby? How did you get this number?”
“It doesn’t matter how I got it what does matter is what type of flowers you want me to get.” Gibbs knew exactly what she was talking about, they had down this every year since she died. “Umm… Roses. I mean red roses.” He corrected knowing that she would most probably get black. “Okay, Tony’s taking me down. Are you ever going to come back?” She asked a little whimper in her voice.
“Maybe. I got to go Abbs. Call me later if you are feeling lonely or want to talk just don’t give the number to the others.”
“Okay, bye.”
“Semper Fi, Abbs, Semper Fi.” And with that he hung up. Abby put the phone down and gathered her things. She ran up the stairs and went to meet Tony in the bullpen.
“Wait!” she said and picked up McGee’s phone. “What flowers ducky?” He also knew what she was talking about. “Poppies, my dear.”
“Okay.” She said as she hung up.
“Ready?” Tony asked.
“Ready.” Abby said with certainty.