- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
What starts as an assignment fling becomes a little more intense as Gibbs challenges Sarai's view of the world. He offers her a way out and a chance to make her own way, and she wants more than anything to take it.
Silvery blonde hair fanned out under the twenty year old’s head, the sheets wrapped tightly around her. She felt bare without her silver necklace, but she couldn’t afford to wear it right now. She sighed, climbing out of bed and slid a nightdress over her body, stepping out onto the balcony of her small apartment. She gazed out at the Russian skyline, knowing that, somewhere nearby, the three agents she was tailing were restless as well, though perhaps for different reasons. She shivered as a breeze sprang up, sending her hair dancing around her face. She grabbed her phone, tucking it under her ear as she waited for the other line to be picked up.
“Yes?”
“He’s suspicious.” She spoke the Russian as easily as her other languages. “Only him. Your other partner is excellent, but he still needs work.”
“I already knew that.” Sighed Jen.
“Yes, well, what you didn’t know is that I’m not the only one tailing you. A blonde, definitely not one of ours. Careful with her, she’s got the swagger of a good operative. There’s one for each of you, one woman, two men, and they’re well armed.”
Jen was quiet for a moment. “Thank you. That’s all I needed to know.”
“I’m staying low for a while. If he’s too focused on me, he won’t be aiming his bullets where they need to be going.” She smirked. “And I happen to be a blonde also. Good luck.”



Jen hung up the phone, setting it back on its hook. She turned to face the two men she was working with, leaning against the small table. “We’re being followed.” She declared.
“I already knew that, Jen.” Said Gibbs, not looking up from the card game in between him and the youngest agent. “She’s slipping.”
“Let it go, Jethro.” She sighed, muttering under her breath. “Slipping my ass, I swear, the girl wants to be seen.”
“What?” he asked, curiously.
“Nothing. Three agents. One female, two male. A perfect match.”
“Or so they think.” Chuckled Callen.
“If she’s involved, we’re out-numbered.” Warned Gibbs, finally setting down his cards and looking up. He swore when Callen, the youngest of the three agents, trumped his hand.
“Who?” asked Callen.
“Jen’s assassin friend.” Replied Gibbs, provocatively.
“Oh, go screw yourself.” Bristled the woman.
“Jen’s friends with a lady assassin?” The young man perked up. Maybe the group leader was more interesting than she appeared.
“Don’t listen to a word he says, Callen, he’s just trying to annoy me.” Jen sat down at the small table. “Deal me in.”
“Alright, if she’d not the one tailing us, what the hell is she doing here?”
“Joint assignment?” Offered Callen.
“She’s an assassin.” Protested Gibbs. “Since when has NCIS ever worked with the CIA?”
“Let it go, you’re obsessing over something that’s out of your control.”



A grim smile flitted across Sarai’s face as she felt Gibbs catching up to her. “May I help you?” She asked sweetly.
Gibbs shrugged as they walked alongside each other, replying with almost as much ease as her despite Russian being his weakest language. “I’ve been seeing you around town lately. You seem familiar somehow.”
She laughed. “I’m flattered that you would remember me after six years. You have quite a memory.”
“So you are following us.” He said lightly, not wanting the people around them to start listening in.
“No, I’m simply here to enjoy myself.” She replied, flashing another smile. “All pleasure, no business.”
“Oh?” he cast an appraising glance over her, noting the simple elegance with which she was dressed.
“Wrong pleasure.” Laughed Sarai, tucking a lock of hair back into place. “Sight-seeing.” She gestured to the bustling world around them.
“You’ve got your sights, I’ve got mine.” He replied easily. “What have you been up to?”
“Absolutely nothing.” It was somewhat true after all. She had spent much of the last four years either training or goofing off on assignment, just for the sake of rebellion. “I’ve been visiting family you see.”
“I never pegged you as sentimental.” He told her thoughtfully.
“And I didn’t peg you as the kind to flirt with a woman whose name you don’t know.” She teased.
“I figured you’d tell me when you felt like it.” He said, perfectly content. They’d stopped walking and were lingering outside one of Russia’s beautiful palaces, throngs of tourists pushing past them and completely ignoring the odd couple. “Am I right?”
“Perhaps you are.” She agreed thoughtfully. “But would you believe me if I told you?”
“Only one way to find out.”
“Razi.” She said quietly. “My name is Razi.”
“It suits you.” He told her in the same tone.
Sarai nodded. “More than you can imagine.” She agreed.
“You look really nice today Raz.” His low voice sent shivers up her spine and suddenly she couldn’t speak. Gibbs brushed his fingers along her cheek. She trembled under the touch, her stomach twisting with an unfamiliar emotion. “You always look beautiful.”
“You’ve only seen me twice before.” She murmured, eyes slightly glazed. “How would you know about always?”
“Maybe I don’t, but that doesn’t change my opinion.” Jesus, what was happening to her? She’d always been good at flirting, so why was her throat dry and her mind empty? He smiled, eyes sparkling with laughter at the delicate ripples that ran through her body from his simply touching her cheek. “You want to go inside?” he asked, brushing her hair back.
“Huh?” she was feeling a little dizzy and wasn’t sure what he was talking about.
He laughed. “Sight-seeing, remember?” Gibbs led her inside, and they wandered around with the rest of the tourists, his arm sitting loosely around her waist.
Gibbs wasn’t quite sure what he was doing, but it felt comfortable and right at least. He glanced down at the young woman next to him who was subconsciously leaning into him, and realized that whatever was making him do this, it was probably a bad idea. She seemed to feel his eyes on her and looked up. When she saw him watching her, she smiled, and it was sweet and innocent, and he had to smile back. He always seemed to end up in relationships while on assignment, and they never lasted once he was back in DC. The parting usually came as a relief for everyone involved, and very rarely caused any harm as long as he didn’t marry his lover. She’d gone back to staring in awe at everything around them, from the domes high over their heads to the tapestries and paintings on the walls. Gibbs stifled a laugh. She was like a kid in a candy shop here, and he found it quite amusing.
Sarai tried to take everything in at once, glad she’d used the sight-seeing excuse. As much as she traveled the world, she didn’t usually get to see the places she was visiting, and Moscow was incredible. She could hardly contain her excitement and the familiarity with which they walked told her that she didn’t really have to. She felt him bury his face in her hair for a second and her smile grew. Perhaps this was a relationship she could indulge in. Sure it would end with the assignment, but that was probably for the best. And she already knew that love affairs were Gibbs’s specialty; short, sweet, and fun. So why not? She let herself relax into him, her head resting near his heart, and smiled up at him again. And there was something in his eyes that told her that his mind was traveling down similar channels to hers. She looked up at him thoughtfully. “What are you thinking Agent Gibbs?” she asked softly, reaching up to touch the stress-lightened hair at his temples. “Because you have a choice to make right now, what’ll it be?”
“Well, I guess that depends.” He replied carefully. “What are my options?”
“I’ve got an apartment a few streets over.” She told him. “You know what I am, what I do. You can come home with me, you can walk away like this never happened, or you can make that call to your Director and tell him you’re bringing home a killer. It’s your call.”



She lay on top of him with her head resting on his chest, breathing heavily. “I like your choice, Agent Gibbs.” She purred, her body still sated and full from his caresses.
“Jethro.” He corrected, pressing his lips to her throat. “If I get to call you by your first name, you get to call me by mine.”
“Your first name is Leroy.” She laughed.
“But I go by Jethro.” He pointed out. Gibbs slid his hands up her back and into her hair, dragging her mouth down to his.
Their lips moved together languidly for a while and she moaned as he responded, still buried deep in her core. “Don’t you ever get tired?” she breathed as he rolled her underneath him again.
“You already know I’m a marine.” He murmured huskily. “Marine’s don’t get tired.”
“So I’m learning.” She gasped, beginning to react to his well-placed touches. “But I will, eventually. I am no marine, I’m just a killer, remember?”
“No.” he shook his head, lips brushing across her collarbone. “No, you’re not. Assassins do their homework, but they don’t have the kind of resources you had to have to track me Raz. Nor do they trail someone for six weeks without making a move.”
“I told you, I’m not....”
“Save it.” He was working her body at the same time as he was working her mind, and she couldn’t believe how hard it was to think with every nerve in her body screaming at his touches. She could tell it was difficult for him too, but somehow he managed to stay in control while she fought for the ability to breathe. “You may be a killer, but that’s not all you are.” She was panting too hard to speak now, and he moved his hand up to her cheek slowly, tipping her head back so that her throat was exposed and vulnerable to him. “I know a spook when I see one Razi and you’re a damn good one. I respect that, but I have a question, and I want the truth. Who do you work for? CIA? KGB? Who?”
“I work for no agency.” She gasped out, pleasure making her body move involuntarily underneath him. “Please, I can’t....” But she couldn’t find the words to finish the sentence, and suddenly her brain shut down.
“Let yourself go.” She heard his voice, low and beautiful through the blackness, and obeyed instinctively, desperate for something to guide her. “Good girl.” His lips brushed her cheek as he spoke and he ran a finger along her neck. “Finish for us.” He ordered gently. She reached down, trembling fingers fluttering around their connected bodies, and his lips curved into a smile against her skin. “You’ve been well-trained by someone, haven’t you baby girl?”
“Jethro....” she whimpered, lips parted with soft desperation. She cried out when he gave one last thrust, biting down on the taut skin of her throat at the same time. Shudders rolled through her whole body and she arched into him, panting desperately. He collapsed on top of her, groaning at her delighted sigh as she accepted his pleasure into her body. He rolled off of her this time, pulling her close so that she could rest her head on his chest. “You should be an interrogator.” She laughed shakily, curling into him tightly.
“I am.” He reminded her, kissing the top of her head softly. “And I’ve still got questions.”
“No way.” She said firmly. “You know more than enough as it is.” His hand drifted down to her still-aching sex, and she looked up at him wildly. “You wouldn’t.” She whispered, not at all sure that was true.
“Try me.” He retorted, his expression unreadable, even to her. “My questions?”
“I’ll do my best.” She agreed quickly.
“You work freelance?”
She shook her head. “Family business. Sometimes I go out on loan though.”
“So it’s money, then.” Sighed Gibbs. He couldn’t respect someone who’s loyalty was for sale.
Sarai pushed away from him, horrified. “No!” she exclaimed. “No! I am not some weapon, bought and paid for! I serve my country, just like you. I am an off-the-books last resort, that’s all.”
He smiled in relief, dragging her back to him and kissing her softly. She surrendered her control to him and let him fold her up in his arms. “I didn’t mean to offend you.” He soothed. “I’m just trying to figure you out.”
“This is sex, Jethro.” She reminded him gently. “We don’t need to understand each other, just the circumstances. I know that you’re a good man with a job that suits you, and you know that I’m a spy and a killer. That’s all we need to know. If we get any more personal than that, we run the risk of getting attached in some way.”
“I can’t do that Razi.” He told her quietly. “I can’t make love to you and walk away like it means nothing. Even if it is just sex, it means something.”
She gazed at him for a second then got up and slid her nightdress back over her head, setting his clothes back on the bed. “Then go home.” She replied. Her voice was cool, but there was something in her eyes that told him she was intrigued by his statement.
Her eyes followed the flex of his muscles as he got out of bed and pulled on his jeans, then they widened with surprise when he stepped up to her, forcing her back against the wall. She swallowed, fear flashing in her eyes before she masked it and became her own, confident self again, but not before he saw it. “That would be walking away.” He pointed out. “I think you want me to walk away like you mean nothing. I think you want to be used and discarded. You don’t know what to do with the idea that you might be worth something to someone.” She raised her chin defiantly, but again her eyes gave away her pain at his words. “Why would a girl like you get involved in this life, even if it is a family business, without a reason?”
“I’m a woman, not a child.” She said, uncertain and evasive.
“That’s true.” He conceded, pressing his palm to her cheek and kissing her softly. “But you still must have a reason. I do, my partners do, everyone I know in this business has a reason. What’s yours?”
She bit her lip and pulled open the drawer to the nightstand beside them, taking out a small velvet box and handing it to him. She watched while he opened it and he glanced down at her sharply. “If you tell me that you’re doing God’s work....” He warned, but she cut him off.
“It’s not the faith, it’s the man who gave the gift.” She explained. He felt his heart sink inexplicably at this mention of another man that meant so much to her. “He never wanted this for me, tried to take me away from it every day, but I was too young and too caught up in it all to realize the favour he was doing me. He gave me this right before I left Quantico to train and told me that I had to stay true to myself and this would remind me because faith was the one thing no one else could decide for me. I didn’t understand at all, and I didn’t see him again for over three years. When I came back, I was someone else entirely, and I could tell he was disappointed in me. I got so mad that he wanted me to deny my heritage, he wanted me to be a teacher, for God’s sake! We grew apart, and then, about a year later, he was dead.”
“He die LOD?” asked Gibbs gently, knowing that she hadn’t spoken to anybody about this in a while.
She shook her head. “Murdered. By an intelligence cell. He was a good man and didn’t deserve to die, but certainly he shouldn’t have died like that.”
“You loved him.”
“Very much.” She agreed sadly, than glanced up. “But not like that. He helped raise me. Grandperé gave me this necklace.” She clarified for him. “So now you know. You’ve gotten what you wanted, as I suspect you always do. Are you happy?”
“I’m glad you trust me.” He corrected. “But I’m sorry you hurt so much. You don’t have to punish yourself for his death you know, I’m sure he wouldn’t want you to.” His hands settled on her hips and he tipped his forehead down to hers, feeling her breaths come a little faster as his heady scent filled her mind. “Maybe this is just sex, but I’m damned if I let you use me to punish yourself. Every life matters, Razi, including yours. Let me prove that to you.”
“Okay.” She breathed, confusion in her eyes.
“Good.” He let go of her, pulling his shirt back over his head as he moved away. Hurt flashed across her face and he laughed. “I’m coming back, baby girl.” He promised, touching his finger to her lips. “But I’ve got to get back to my partners before they give me up for dead. I’ll be back as soon as I can, alright?”
She nodded and he slipped into his coat, pulling her in for one last kiss. Sarai flattened her hands against his chest, pushing him back gently. “Go.” She murmured. “I’m staying low for a while, you made me too easily, and it might take the others a little longer, but they’ll figure it out eventually. I’ll be here.” Her phone started ringing shrilly, and she winced, turning her emerald eyes to the buzzing cell resignedly and then back to him. “Go now. You can’t be here when I pick that up.” She warned him. He turned and strode out of the apartment quickly, but he paused for a moment just outside the door, listening. His expression became grim when he heard her soft voice. “Shalom Eli.” He started walking again, having heard enough to tell him what he’d been wondering. His new lover was a Mossad ghost.



“Where’ve you been?” asked Jen suspiciously. “You look like you’ve just won the lottery.”
“Or got laid.” Added Callen, looking up from his cards. “He’s been coming back like that for a couple of months now. You’d better hope the girlfriend’s not getting too involved, man, we’re going home soon.”
“Go to hell G.” Said Gibbs good-naturedly, grinning as he sat down at the table.
Callen dealt him in, ignoring the advice. “So what’s she look like, your mystery girl? Gotta be something else to make you look like that.”
“Like the Hunchback of Notre Dame.” Joked Gibbs. “Only half as pretty.”
“You ever going to let us see her?”
“Probably isn’t a her, Callen.” Said Jen, eyebrows raised. “Got a special reason for leaving the corps, Jethro?”
Gibbs glowered at her, throwing back the answer that would most irritate her. “I’d promised my wife I wouldn’t reenlist.” That shut her up. “Anyway, girlfriend and I have a deal.”
“You, of all people, are having an affair?” Callen didn’t bother to hide his surprise.
“Nah, Shannon’s long gone.” Replied the older agent. Jen was still pale and silent, not sure that ‘long gone’ covered the time four years ago when she’d been sleeping with him. It did, but he didn’t intend to tell her that.
“Oh. So what’s the deal?”
“Men!” growled Jen, stalking out of the room and slamming the door behind her.
The two men ignored her outburst, and kept playing. “Better drop that seven heart.” Advised Gibbs, leaving Callen to wonder how he always knew these things.



Gibbs sat at the little table in Sarai’s apartment, gazing thoughtfully at the coffee in his hand. He glanced over at the bed where she lay, fast asleep, and took a sip from his cup, glad she made black coffee. It helped him think, and right now, thinking was exactly what he needed to do. He’d done some more listening over the last few months, pretending to be asleep while she was on the phone, and while he didn’t understand what she said, he could read her tones. Whoever she was talking to was frustrating her to no end, and she would forgive them only to get annoyed again the next time she called. He had yet to confront her about the phone calls, but he had a feeling she already knew he’d been listening. At the moment, though, that wasn’t what worried him. His goal in all this had at first been to have a little fun with the more than willing Israeli spy, then it had changed to helping a young woman stop punishing herself for something in her past, but now he knew it wasn’t either of those. He hadn’t felt this way about a woman in a long time, and it scared him a little. He’d remarried once since Shannon’s death, but that had fizzled out quickly and somehow this felt different. He wasn’t sure what he should do. The two of them had agreed long ago that what they were doing was sex, nothing more, but it wasn’t like that for him anymore. He smiled grimly as a thought crossed his mind. This was what it felt like to be on the other side of the coin, in love with someone you knew didn’t love you back. He froze. Had he really just used the words ‘in love with’? Even in his own private thoughts? No, he couldn’t think that way, because it was a surefire way to get crushed again. Maybe he loved her, but he wasn’t in love with her. Normal love could fade with time, being in love with someone was forever. He’d never be in love with anyone again, it wasn’t worth the pain when things fell apart. He glanced up in surprise when small hands slipped over his shoulders from behind, he hadn’t realized that she’d woken up. “Hey, Raz.” He murmured as she sat down in his lap, running her hands over his chest.
“I’m going home soon.” She told him quietly.
“To Israel?” He asked, figuring he might as well get some answers if she already knew about his eavesdropping.
“Yeah.” She gazed at him with sad green eyes. “To Israel. How long have you known?”
“I suspected that first day, but knowing for sure?” He shrugged. “A few weeks in. When do you leave?”
“Same time as you, probably. I’ve been gone so long.” She murmured absently. “My little sisters are women now, all grown up, and our friends are all following in their parents’ footsteps, just like we are. It’s going to feel so strange being back there.”
He petted her hair comfortingly. “Home is still home.” He pointed out, feeling a little disappointed by the knowledge that he was running short on time. “It won’t take long to readjust. Is there anything waiting for you when you get back?”
“Um, yeah, yeah, I’ll be staying with my sister until I can get an apartment, and I’ve got work already.”
“Good. I’m glad.” He was suddenly hyperaware of the tension crackling in the air around them and by the embarrassment in her eyes, so was she.
“Jethro...,” She began hesitantly. She stopped for a second and took a deep breath before starting again. “I was wondering if you’d like....I mean, maybe....Would you want to come with me?”
He stared at her in disbelief. Would he want to go with her? Of course. But could he go with her, that was a question he wasn’t sure he had the answer to. Every moment of silence made the hopeful light in her eyes fade a little more and he made himself speak. “I don’t think I can Razi.” He said slowly. “I’ve got a life waiting for me in DC, I can’t just leave it behind.” Too late, he realized that she might take this to mean he had someone waiting for him as well.
“Oh, okay.” She moved to get up, keeping her face carefully blank, but he held her in place.
Gibbs leaned in to kiss her gently and she kissed him back, relaxing into him as always. “I’d like to, but I don’t think I can, baby girl.” He clarified.
She still avoided his eyes when she pulled back, and he knew she was ashamed of putting herself forward the way she had. He wished he could make her understand, but telling her he might or might not be in love with her would only hurt her more in the end. “Sorry, it was just a thought. Forget about it.”
“Never apologize.”
She smiled sadly. “It’s a sign of weakness.” She finished. “I know.”
“I should probably head out soon Razi.” He said, trying to change the subject. “We’re trying to wrap things up so we can go home in the next couple of weeks.”
“I know.” She repeated, moving to get up again, and this time he let her go.
“I keep forgetting that you know everything.” He laughed, watching her robe fall to the floor as she got dressed. His eyes widened when he saw the weapons she was strapping on before pulling on her jeans and blouse. “Expecting trouble?”
“I’ve been in Moscow for over four months.” She replied grimly. “It’s about damn time I did something, don’t you think? And if you three are heading home soon, it’s almost time for my debut. I’d tell you to stay away the next time you see me out of this apartment, but I don’t think you’d listen.”
“No, I wouldn’t. So you’re here to help us then?”
“Always was.” She agreed. “But after this assignment, I think I’m going to stay in Israel. I miss my family.”
“You’re very sentimental for a spy, you know that?” he chuckled, walking over and picking up one of her knives.
He turned the knife over in his hand, watching the light hit the blade, and she glanced at him curiously. “It changes things when you see it for yourself, doesn’t it?” she asked quietly. “The fact is, I am a killer, it’s what I was trained for, it’s what my sisters have been trained for, what most Israeli children learn to be at some point. But it’s one thing for you to know that, and another entirely for you to see the proof right in front of you. Will I still see you tonight?”
“Of course.” He replied promptly. “You don’t scare me, Raz.”
She laughed and rolled her eyes. “Then you’re not as smart as I thought you were.” She teased. “You’d do well to be a little scared. I’m dangerous, even to you.”
“Nah, you wouldn’t shoot me.” He said confidently.
“Maybe not on purpose.” She muttered, just loud enough for him to hear, and he grabbed her around the waist.
“What was that?” he growled playfully.
Sarai turned her head to capture his mouth casually. “Nothing at all, sir.” She purred against his lips. “Now go play soldier, I’ll see you again soon enough.” He kissed her cheek and left.
She sat down on the edge of the bed, exhaustion replacing her playful expression. What was happening to her? It wasn’t like her to stop thinking like that. Why had she asked him to come with her? They’d agreed that this would be something that ceased to exist as soon as they parted ways, so why did she feel the pain of rejection washing over her, and why could she never think about her return to Israel without her heart cracking just a little more? It would be good for her to be away from him. It was just the stress of being undercover combined with the hormones of sex, it wasn’t real. But, God, she wanted it to be. He’d been right that first day when he’d said that she wanted to be used and tossed aside. She didn’t really want that, but it was all she was used to, and that he had refused to discard her was frightening and new. For five years, she’d been trying desperately to feel something other than Jacob Tehran, but the men she slept with meant nothing, and so when it was over, she only felt used and hurt and Jacob’s face was still there, cold and cruel as he watched her bleed to death in front of him. But Gibbs had forced her to talk to him, had refused to let her remain distant and two dimensional, and she’d felt beautiful when he made love to her. Beautiful, safe, and wanted. All three were feelings she hadn’t had in a long time, and whatever it was about him that inspired them, she knew deep down it was something she could never escape from. When she’d seen him at sixteen from the stairs of her mother’s house, she’d felt something, and when she’d stood with him outside the palace that first day, it had come back again. She was in love and she knew it, but he didn’t feel the same, and she wouldn’t expose herself to more heartbreak, made a hundred times worse by the fact that this was love, not a one-night-stand that hadn’t progressed any further. She wouldn’t let emotions get the better of her, not after all the work she’d put into her self-control. She wasn’t in love with him, and she would prove it.



Jen and another woman faced off, both waiting for something, some trigger that would set of the hail of bullets, but Jen saw what she was waiting for first. “You’ve been following us Natasha.”
“The Soviet Union doesn’t appreciate being spied on after all this time, Jennifer.” The other woman threw back.
“And I really don’t appreciate having to come in for intervention.” Chimed in Sarai sweetly. She gestured for Natasha to put down her gun. “Don’t make me shoot you, it would really be a sad waste of talent and beauty. I do understand these things you know.”
Natasha knelt slowly, hands raised as she dropped her weapon. “Happy?” she asked resentfully.
Sarai smiled brightly. “Delighted.” She replied. “I’m glad you see reason, and I hope that we can continue this little streak. See, we’re going to need to get you out of this party and I’d rather you did it under your own steam.”
“You mock me!” hissed the other blonde. Natasha froze when Sarai took her necklace out of her pocket and clasped it around her neck. “What have we done to Israel lately, little Jew?”
“That, for starters.” Shrugged Sarai coldly. “Didn’t they ever teach you not to antagonize a woman holding a gun to your head? My finger might just...” she couldn’t help the little twitch at the trigger. “Slip. I assure you, you wouldn’t like that.”
“If I leave Russia alive, I won’t stay that way for long.” Pleaded the woman.
“So you’d rather I kill you now? How brave.”
“Hey!” Sarai caught Jen’s warning just as Natasha lunged for the red-head. She stumbled and fell before she’d so much as touched Jen, dead before she hit the ground.
Sarai stared at the dead woman, mingled pity and disgust in her eyes. She didn’t look at her mother as she stuck her seven-shot into the waist of her jeans. “Papí called. I promised I’d go home. He wants me to train the girls and start working with Michael.”
“I know you hate it when assignments end this way.” Sighed Jen. Sarai dragged her fingers through her hair, not bothering to answer. “Come here honey.”



“Come here honey.” Gibbs was surprised to hear Jen’s voice so soft. He paused at the edge of the door, glancing through it, and saw Jen holding Sarai close and petting her hair. The red-head kissed the younger woman’s forehead and Gibbs saw a tear tumble down his lover’s cheek. “I love you. So much, Raz. I’m so proud of you for all you’ve accomplished, but I wish you wouldn’t go back to Tel Aviv.”
“Same, Jen.” Sniffed the blonde, clinging to her. “It’s just...home doesn’t feel safe right now, you know? I needed to work, it made me feel better.”
“Just consider coming home sweetheart.” Murmured Jen. Sarai nodded and Gibbs was stunned. Jen and Razi as lovers? It couldn’t be, and yet there was his proof. He spun on his heel and strode away, wondering how he’d managed to get played again.



Sarai closed her eyes as his arms circled around her waist, pulling her tightly against him. “You look tired.” He murmured, sitting down on the edge of the bed and pulling her into his lap. “You get into trouble after all?”
“I hate wasting talent like that.” she sighed, feeling exhausted. “Oh, screw it, I hate wasting a life like that. How’d it go for you and Callen?”
“Pretty open and shut actually. Hey, I have another question.”
“Jen and I are not lovers, nor were we ever, nor will we ever be.” She told him, anticipating what he was going to ask. He glanced at her curiously and she rolled her eyes. “I saw you, Jethro, but don’t worry, she didn’t. Jenny is a friend, she has my back and I have hers, but that’s all. I may be Israeli, but I was born an American citizen.”
“You know me too well.” He laughed quietly. “Now would you mind putting away those weapons? You’re starting to worry me.”
“I thought I didn’t scare you.” She teased, laying back on the covers. “Prove it. Come and get them.” She smiled as he obeyed with a playful growl.
He dragged her blouse over her head and kissed his way along her skin from her fingertips to her collarbone to the waist of her jeans, carefully removing anything he found on his way and dropping them to the floor by their bed. “That all?” he asked, teasing her neck with soft kisses.
“Lower.” She breathed dreamily. “Hip, ankle, calf.”
He pushed her jeans off, checking each of the places she’d mentioned, and stayed low. He covered her core with his hand, enjoying the dampness against his palm. “How good are you at following orders baby girl?” he asked seductively.
“Depends on what they are and who’s giving them.” She replied evasively. “Why?”
“I’ve got a few for you, if you want them.” He told her, his low voice sending thrills up her spine. She nodded mutely, gazing down at him. “Close your eyes and stay where I put you.” Her eyes fell shut as she relaxed her body, and he moved her hips and legs to suit his purpose. “Say everything that comes to your mind, no filters.” He pressed his lips to her belly and stroked her inner thighs lightly, drifting upward, tantalizingly close to her sex, but never quite there. At first, the only sound in the room was her soft panting and whimpering, but when he finally brushed up against the bundle of nerves at her core, she let out a sharp exclamation in Hebrew. “English, Razi.” He warned.
“I don’t think there’s a translation.” She gasped, pushing against the mattress underneath her. “God, what are you doing?” she pleaded desperately.
“If I told you, you wouldn’t need me to do it anymore.” He teased gently. “I’m just touching sweetheart, I promise.” He pushed up suddenly, slipping two fingers past her initial resistance, and she cried out as he hit her most sensitive spot. He didn’t move for a second, giving her a chance to breathe again, and then began working his fingers slowly against her. She purred encouragements and pleas to him, unable to think clearly enough to filter her words anyway, but the first part of his orders was the part she was beginning to have trouble with. She was desperate to open her eyes and see what he was doing to her, and the way he’d arranged her made it impossible for her to touch him. She wanted to kiss him, to hear him whisper sweet words to her while he made love to her. Before she even realized it, the words were out. She couldn’t even recognize the trembling, pleading voice that said them, but she saw him smile at her and his touches disappeared from inside her. He slid back up her body, capturing her mouth with soft dominance. “Whatever you want Beautiful.” He rasped, pulling his shirt over his head and kicking off his jeans. Her lips parted to let him in and he groaned softly, tangling his fingers in her hair. She tasted like cinnamon and vanilla and, for some reason, home, and he loved it, loved her. In a split second, his mind was made up, and he lifted her lips to his, exploring deeper into her mouth.
She couldn’t breathe as he kissed her, didn’t need to, and it felt so good and right to be in his arms right now, to be giving herself to him like this. It was worth it, even if it would break her heart to leave him tomorrow. And then he said the sweetest words she could ever have heard. “I love you Razi.” He murmured. “I want to stay with you and I don’t care if we’re in Moscow, DC, Israel, or Quantico.”
“Thank God.” She breathed, brushing a few loose strands of hair out of his eyes. “I love you too, God help us.”
“I think He has.” Gibbs shuddered, losing his train of thought, and they were both gone, floating together in a world made specifically for love.



His fingers traced random patterns on her arm as she curled into him. “We can’t do it.” She realized, stunned. “There literally isn’t a way. I have to go back to Israel, and you have a contract in DC. It’s not possible.”
Gibbs kissed the top of her head softly. “We’ll figure it out.” he assured her, twisting a lock of hair around his finger thoughtfully. “I promise we’ll figure this out. You’re stuck with me now baby girl.”
“God, I’ve fallen in love with a bastard!” laughed Sarai as she buried her head in his chest.
“My parents were married, thank you.” He pointed out carelessly.
She rolled her eyes. “Oh, right, I’m the bastard. Sorry.”
“You are?” he glanced down in surprise. She nodded and his eyes widened with curiosity. “You related to anyone important then?”
She was quiet for a moment. “Doesn’t matter.” She muttered, suddenly regretting the admission. “So what is your plan?”
“Sleep now, talk in the morning.” He replied promptly. “It’s late, and we’re both tired, but we’ll make it work, okay?”
“Okay.” She agreed, kissing him gently and nestling closer.
“I love you Raz.” He said again, liking the way the words tasted on his tongue.
She smiled, eyes closed. “I love you too Jethro.”



Sarai’s eyes fluttered open in the early morning light, and she smiled at the marine whose arms had protected her all night. His breathing was soft and regular and she slipped out of their bed carefully, trying not to wake him. She spent a few minutes gathering up what little she’d brought with her and stood with her hand on the door handle, trying to force herself to leave. But she’d promised him, and she couldn’t hurt him that way. She set her bag down by the door and hurried over to the little end table by the bed. She grabbed a pen and paper and scrawled out a message, setting it on the pillow where her head had rested beside his the night before. She moved back to the door, but it still didn’t feel like enough. Almost in a dream, she walked back to his sleeping form, unclasping her silver necklace from around her neck. She watched it fall onto the card she’d left him and leaned over, her lips brushing over his cheek as she whispered to him. “I love you Jethro.” She kissed his forehead softly and left quickly, before she could think of another reason to stay.



He’d fallen asleep with his face buried in her hair, breathing in her scent, and his arm draped heavily across her waist. But when he woke, she was gone, and what little she’d had with her had vanished as well. He rolled over, swearing quietly, and then broke into a smile. Her necklace lay on the pillow, a note card underneath it. Her elegant script told him everything he needed to know about why she’d left without him.
I love you. "Razi
He got out of bed, pulling his clothes back on and slipping the card and necklace into his jeans pocket. He knew where she was, and he would find her. Besides, he would know her the minute he saw her again, and she couldn’t possibly be a good enough actor to not react if she saw him. He left the apartment behind him as he headed for the airport where Jen and Callen would be waiting for him so they could all go back to DC
Chapter End Notes:
I tried to make their time in Russia a little more serious, so that the rest of the story didn't seem so weird.